8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
LocalLadGTFC
August 15, 2023, 11:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
If we get anything less than 2 million for Conteh than we've been robbed, what a player
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 76
MuddyWaters
August 15, 2023, 11:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,262
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
If we get anything less than 2 million for Conteh than we've been robbed, what a player

Agreed. I’m trying to think if we’ve had anyone better since Paul Groves which, after three games, is some compliment.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 76
LH
August 15, 2023, 11:26pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,534
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

The European giants scout the other continents for players with his skillset and ability. We might actually have to retire his shirt number like Birmingham did for Bellingham!
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 76
mariner91
August 15, 2023, 11:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
System tweaked from the weekend and it was much better and allowed us to press better. Don’t need two holding when you’ve got Conteh, he’s the best midfielder we’ve had certainly in the last 10 years, if not longer. We will make some serious money from him.

Eisa looked much more comfortable out wide than central and his second was a really lovely finish.

Special mention for Amos who I thought was excellent, didn’t put a foot wrong. I’ve doubted him before as have others but he was spot on tonight so I’m really pleased for him.

Still some work to do going forward and we could be a bit better at using the ball in the final third but generally solid against a surprisingly bad Salford. Waterfall showed why he should be back up though, Rodgers wins as many headers and Waterfall is terrible on the ball. He won’t let us down when he plays but if we want to be playing the ball on the floor then we need better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 76
HerveJosse
August 15, 2023, 11:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quality of opposition seems to be biggest factor in games so far . What did I learn tonight Conteh is Rolls Royce though probably worked that out already . Can see why PH likes G very much his sort of player and he was much better tonight then previous cameos. Hunt has been holding us back and can go as far as I am concerned and Glennon is gone . Need a new left back for competition with Amos who did very well defensively but doesn’t give the delivery. The other Danny like my Roses needs a support to keep him upright.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 76
moosey_club
August 15, 2023, 11:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Were we better than previous two games/Were they poorer opposition/bit of both ??

Obviously  we altered the approach , much more consistent press pinning them back and giving us possession higher up the pitch.......
it was noticeable at the line up that they didn't have a physical advantage apart from Smith...
Really good first half in terms of effort, approach and team work, albeit still a bit laboured on the attack front but at least a goal (deflected ?) as a reward...
Second half much the same up until the point of their sending off...when we then sat off ...let them start to build some sort of pressure and even stretch us with a man less...started to feel nervy but we got the breakaway goal, fantastic finish, just when it looked like we had tangled ourselves up.
From then on it was a cakewalk.

First 45 I was happy with,  even without a goal just for the front foot approach and pressing game. Second half hit and miss but eventually made the extra man pay.

Eastwood....decent command of area, a couple of decent claims and a flying save from that free kick...looking a good acquisition so far.

Roll on revenge Saturday

UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 76
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 15, 2023, 11:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Agreed. I’m trying to think if we’ve had anyone better since Paul Groves which, after three games, is some compliment.

Not sure what buffoon gave you a Red Cross for this comment and it was a quote someone said to me walking into the ground tonight and it’s hard to disagree. The only thing he appears to lack is a decent shot on him and don’t suppose he will score many goals but everything else is spot on from him.

Generally a competent display tonight against a surprisingly ineffective Salford but let’s give our side some credit as we can soon jump on here being critical when we lose.

Would still like us to get someone closer to Rose a bit more often and our wide men take on their full backs but can’t have everything and look forward to seeing how we perform against one of the real favourites on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 76
Theimperialcoroner
August 15, 2023, 11:49pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
Most of what’s been said mirrors my thoughts tbh so the only thing to add is despite the ref falling for all their little tumbles and seemingly giving us very little, did play a great advantage for the first goal and also got the cautions bang on. Good to see.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 76
August 15, 2023, 11:50pm
Guest User
Just got home. Makes it all worth it when they play like that. A couple of wayward Waterfall passes aside, they were excellent. Suspect we’ll only get better.

Just as I didn’t think the Notts County result meant the world had ended, this was only one game. Lots of positives though.
Reply: 28 - 76
Oly1987
August 16, 2023, 12:08am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
at work but managed to catch the last half hour or so l, just before the 2nd goal. Holohan impressed me in the no10 role from what I saw and linked up with Eisa superbly a couple of times. I prefer us playing the 4-2-3-1 system as I think it gives us more width whilst making us stronger defensively as the full backs support the wing play instead of trying to do everything. Eastwood certainly looks the part and his performances so far should have dispelled any concerns. Great 3 points and hopefully acts as a platform for us to build on. UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.