8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
August 15, 2023, 10:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Played really well tonight against a fancied side and Eisa who I was scathing of Saturday not only got the goals but looked a right threat and that's down to Amos back in the team giving hhe left side balance.Gav again added some composure in a key area and the two centre backs kept the dangerous Smith quiet. Another hard game on Saturday but nothing to fear hoping PH keeps the same side.Bravo Town Bravo Eisa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 76
headingly_mariner
August 15, 2023, 10:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 116
Funny only game isn't it. I thought we were better in both league games than tonight. We just got the right result tonight.

We stifled them with our press, but we struggled to play much football. Looked a little better after the sending off, the 2nd goal thankfully killed a nervy end.

Thought Amos was excellent. Clifton and Eisa much more suited swapping roles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 76
jimgtfc
August 15, 2023, 10:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 45
Very quiet on here tonight, can tell we won. Where’s the meltdown? The overreaction? 😂

Thought we controlled that excellently, even without the ball, our intense pressing was relentless. Danny Rose does so many positive things for us without even touching the ball, he’s such an intelligent presser, it’s not just about getting your head down and running, it’s about forcing players into tricky areas with the angle of your run.

Eisa took his goals really well and looked like he’d had a shot of confidence before the game. He looked much more comfortable on the left wing as well. Just praying we can keep him fit!

Danny Amos had his best game in a town shirt tonight. Didn’t get beaten all night and was excellent with the ball as well. Pipped Eisa to MOTM for me. Has certainly grabbed that left back spot with that performance.

And Conteh… ah Kamil Conteh… the midfielder I’ve dreamed of for years. £115 million for Caicedo? £60 million for Lavia? This guy could net us some serious cash in the future, and become a mariners hero in the process!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 76
MuddyWaters
August 15, 2023, 10:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Just a comment on Salford. Last season, they had a young lad on loan from Manure who ran the show (Galbraith), tonight they were generally poor. Interesting that PH thought we were better on Saturday too.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 76
aldi_01
August 15, 2023, 11:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Hard to find fault tonight. Amos was excellent and the changes, as ruthless as they were, hugely impacted the side in a positive way.

Conteh is different gravy and really could be a player to net us a few quid. Never looks hassled and seems to have an awareness players don’t always have at our level.

Back four was solid tonight and I think their lack of attacking threat was because we stifled them and cut out passes. That said, they were proper disappointing and didn’t offer anything other than a free kick…

Very much looking forward to Saturday.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 76
Heisenberg
August 15, 2023, 11:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,067
Gold Stars: 93
Too many good performances to mention, but I have to say, Conteh is superb. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Town midfielder win so many tackles, and that’s not even his main asset. Fantastic. He will have a wonderful single season with us.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 76
toontown
August 15, 2023, 11:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
The win was very pleasing but I'm personally not as happy as a lot seem to be. Defensively sound, Amos came in and made us much more solid on the left (albeit he isn't a patch on glennons dead ball delivery).

Going forward the switch to 1 holding and 2 forward is a definite improvement, don't think we need Hunt back there when we've got conteh. However i was still disappointed with the wide men and thought rose was sometimes still isolated. To be fair to eisa he scored a great long range effort but he had nearly cocked it up twice in open play just before that and had been poor prior to it. All can be forgiven if you stick it away though. He did look improved after the break when switched to the left though (although that is to be expected when given more time and space as they were a man down) and took his second goal well. Gonourah I thought was completely underwhelming under the circumstances, won a few free kicks I suppose, but we need Khan back.

Bearing in mind we were at home, in the lead and with a man advantage I didn't think we looked great going forward still in terms of chance creation for that second half. We look a bit better with the tweaked formation but I think we are going to need to improve further to be challenging. At one point in the first half rose won the ball and went wide with it, looked up to cross and we had literally nobody in the box. 3 points makes everything a bit better though.

Other points - Eastwood made a great save from their free kick, plus very assured with his feet, seems a definite upgrade on Max. Without hunt and glennon our dead balls were really dreadful (Amos and Gonourah mostly). The ref was a complete jekyll and Hyde- first half he was dreadful, missed two obvious handballs right in front of him by them and Waterfall, missed a penalty for us against waterfall. Second half he seemed much better - sending their player off is always gonna help that I suppose!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 76
toontown
August 15, 2023, 11:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Oh yeah and echo what others said about conteh, seems an absolute rolls Royce of a player for our level bearing in mind he's still so young.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 76
Lincspoacher
August 15, 2023, 11:16pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +303
Gold Stars: 15
Just back.

Firstly, those 3 points much needed and welcome.

Amos was solid and played well and did something Glennon fails to do-defend and make it hard for the wide player to get past you. Well done

Centre backs solid (apart from Waterfall’s 2 adorations when passing to their players our for the back). However, defensively, I just like him and what he lacks in Maher’s guile, he makes up for it with competitiveness and defensive qualities.

Conteh immense again and different class and keeper players well.

I must say this though, and Hurst made similar points on RH afterwards. We didn’t play well.

Clifton was anonymous again and doesn’t look to receive the ball shirt at all and does leave us playing far too many long balls from back front.

Holohan is a baller and did well but looks less than 100% match fit and was not as sharp in first couple of yards as seen him. Maybe match rustiness perhaps re playing time

Eisa a confidence player and those goals may bring him out a bit and he took that second really well.

Vernam looked threatening and direct when came on

Overall, we didn’t pass the ball well and it was in the air an awful lot. So a 3 points with a scrappy display.

Hopefully much more to come and that centre mid in front of Conteh not right yet and not creating passes and possession like I hope we see as we go along..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 76
hheh2
August 15, 2023, 11:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from jimgtfc
Very quiet on here tonight, can tell we won. Where’s the meltdown? The overreaction? 😂

Thought we controlled that excellently, even without the ball, our intense pressing was relentless. Danny Rose does so many positive things for us without even touching the ball, he’s such an intelligent presser, it’s not just about getting your head down and running, it’s about forcing players into tricky areas with the angle of your run.

Eisa took his goals really well and looked like he’d had a shot of confidence before the game. He looked much more comfortable on the left wing as well. Just praying we can keep him fit!

Danny Amos had his best game in a town shirt tonight. Didn’t get beaten all night and was excellent with the ball as well. Pipped Eisa to MOTM for me. Has certainly grabbed that left back spot with that performance.

And Conteh… ah Kamil Conteh… the midfielder I’ve dreamed of for years. £115 million for Caicedo? £60 million for Lavia? This guy could net us some serious cash in the future, and become a mariners hero in the process!

I second that with DR, there was a moment in the second half whereby he managed to put a Salford defender off balance with his presence just enough for him to mis-place his clearance to regain possession, he’s a real high IQ player

Poojah's fishy

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.