Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst the tinkerman.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Hurst the tinkerman.

This thread currently has 10,463 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
It Bites
August 14, 2023, 5:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,203
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from jamesgtfc
A couple of stinkers on Saturday, so should Hurst tinker or not for tomorrow?

Glennon and Hunt out and play vernams and rose up front in the Taylor Mcatee role  
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 124
Limerick Mariner
August 14, 2023, 6:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from It Bites

Glennon and Hunt out and play vernams and rose up front in the Taylor Mcatee role  

I said to mates I went with walking out of ML, whilst we’ve improved the squad at the back and in midfield a pre-hammy injury and fit Taylor along with McAtee is better than what we have now at 9 and 10. Both helped us keep the ball moving in the final third, which Notts did so well via McGoldrick. If you end up with a dead end on one side, hold the ball up, lay it off and switch it. Instead we were hitting the cul-de-sacs and losing possession .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 124
DB
August 14, 2023, 6:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from It Bites
I would not call PH a tinker man but he has this incredible habit of signing crap unfit players and putting them straight in the team …… Pepple , Gnoua and loan players a plenty

Not knowing the details but Pepple came on loan as part of the deal with Luton for McAtee. We may have had to play him so many times!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 124
forza ivano
August 14, 2023, 6:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,196
Gold Stars: 265
1) it was 7 home wins last season
2) the 'dog n duck league' contained us , Wrexham, Southend, Chesterfield, Notts County & Stockport plus ex League clubs in Halifax, Aldershot, Yorquay, Yeovil, Barnet & Dagenham
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 124
chaos33
August 14, 2023, 6:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
If Khan is fit I’d swap him for Vernham.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 124
MuddyWaters
August 14, 2023, 6:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from chaos33
If Khan is fit I’d swap him for Vernham.

He isn’t.
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 124
chaos33
August 14, 2023, 7:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Oh well…..if CV keeps his place, the time is now. We need to see this player.,

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 124
CSLM
August 14, 2023, 7:20pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +641
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from chaos33
Oh well…..if CV keeps his place, the time is now. We need to see this player.,

I don't think he has been as bad a lot of people make out.
Definitely could've done better but some of the criticism is over the top in my opinion.
He has done some decent stuff going forward and defensively.
I can understand the high expectations, certainly hasn't lived up to them yet but he can be a real asset for us.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 124
marinerjase
August 14, 2023, 7:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,655
Gold Stars: 147
Concern is a lack of form for a few, and how open we look, together with a striker being isolated. Finding answers to all that isn’t easy. Does Hurst stick with current set up (pending injuries/fatigue) and persevere until it comes good (it inevitably will at some point) - or does he consider shoring us up a bit?? But then he risks the wrath of those wanting to be more positive. It’s not easy.

Does Glennon need taking out for a bit? Do we have a three in the middle instead of two? Do we go with two up?

May be worth giving Khouri a run out, alongside Conteh? Does Hunt play too deep?

There’s a million and one questions between us all I’m sure, but it’s up to Hurst to solve and players to perform. The worry is you need a result to get confidence, and the fixture list isn’t kind. Need a result sooner than later, otherwise pressure grows on players and fans get restless. Fans haven’t been negative for 2 seasons, quiet at home but understandable as you have to have moments on the pitch to get crowd involved, but not sure some will settle for another season of home games struggling for results.

And I do wish he’d not talk opposition teams up as much..he’s made Mansfield seem like Real Madrid, can’t be best message to send to your own players particularly when you play them again within 10 days. Also talked Notts C up, before and after..and Salford…would be nice to give opposition something to think about sometimes..

Ah well..here’s hoping to a few questions being answered tomorrow 👍

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 124
Mappers
August 14, 2023, 8:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from marinerjase
Concern is a lack of form for a few, and how open we look, together with a striker being isolated. Finding answers to all that isn’t easy. Does Hurst stick with current set up (pending injuries/fatigue) and persevere until it comes good (it inevitably will at some point) - or does he consider shoring us up a bit?? But then he risks the wrath of those wanting to be more positive. It’s not easy.

Does Glennon need taking out for a bit? Do we have a three in the middle instead of two? Do we go with two up?

May be worth giving Khouri a run out, alongside Conteh? Does Hunt play too deep?

There’s a million and one questions between us all I’m sure, but it’s up to Hurst to solve and players to perform. The worry is you need a result to get confidence, and the fixture list isn’t kind. Need a result sooner than later, otherwise pressure grows on players and fans get restless. Fans haven’t been negative for 2 seasons, quiet at home but understandable as you have to have moments on the pitch to get crowd involved, but not sure some will settle for another season of home games struggling for results.

And I do wish he’d not talk opposition teams up as much..he’s made Mansfield seem like Real Madrid, can’t be best message to send to your own players particularly when you play them again within 10 days. Also talked Notts C up, before and after..and Salford…would be nice to give opposition something to think about sometimes..

Ah well..here’s hoping to a few questions being answered tomorrow 👍

A good well thought out post and somewhere close to my thinking .

I am a Hurst fan , but also understand his relatively succesful style in the lower leagues is not always easy on the eye and people who pay 20 odd quid to be entertained for 2 hours are left feeling short changed at home , the style is normally much more suited away (especially when teams open up ) .

I think the most interesting question now is - does he revert to type (which like you say will risk the wrath of the fans) or persevere with this more fluid but open style against by my  count 6 teams out of the next 8 games whom  have on paper  better players than us , who I would not fancy opening up against  - that might be negative , but it's a results based business .

I actually think the more pragmatic old style was made for these first 10 games .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 124
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst the tinkerman.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.