Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst the tinkerman.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 99 Guests

Hurst the tinkerman.

This thread currently has 10,604 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
The Caterham Mariner
August 13, 2023, 10:02am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +91
Gold Stars: 8
HHHMMM just got back from holiday ...lets see what happens on Tuesday , kettle on
UTM 2023--24

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 124
DB
August 13, 2023, 10:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Chrisblor
You've got to pick a better reason for having a pop at Hurst than complaining he tinkers too much when he's picked 10 of the 11 who started the previous league match, and the only change was an enforced one through injury.

On some threads last season were complaints he didn't bring on subs quickly enough.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 124
chaos33
August 13, 2023, 10:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from Croxton

Folarin and Odoh at Harrogate for starters!  Folarin burned past Amos as if he wasn't there last year.

Interesting you should mention those two players. I went to see Harrogate v FGR yesterday (my 10 year old son was born in Harrogate so naturally, supports them) and it was a really poor game between two mediocre teams. In fact, if they’re not both in the bottom six at the end of the season I’ll be shocked, but, Folarin and Odeh caught the eye to some extent. Odeh is short but incredibly quick and quite tricky, although he suffers with that classic characteristic of looking a real threat on that basis, but usually produces nothing. This was the case yesterday. Harrogate have very little threat beyond what he promised. Folarin is a little different in the sense that he’s taller and stronger but is also quick and looks a threat down the right hand side as his footwork is good. That said, Harrogate failed to mount any pressure or produce any clear cut chances to score against very average opponents. If we can’t overcome them, I’d be concerned.

FGR look entirely functional and well organised but with no real threat. They deploy a long ball quite often, but haven’t got anything up front or out wide to make you concerned. They have one really tidy midfielder who caught the eye in Kyle McAllister. Best player on the pitch.

Other noteworthy points - Luke Armstrong was sub - presumably because he’s said he wants to leave. He came on and looked physically really strong but didn’t do anything to impress. He had one chance for a clear cut shot but hit it straight at the keeper. He was booed by a few in the sparse crowd - a little over 2000. FGR brought about 80 fans. There was no atmosphere at all and nothing to create any. A dreary spectacle between two poor sides.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 124
dapperz fun pub
August 13, 2023, 10:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from DB

On some threads last season were complaints he didn't bring on subs quickly enough.

He clearly had no choice anyone with basic knowledge of football tactics could see it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 124
August 13, 2023, 11:07am
Guest User
My only concern is the lack of players supporting Rose, and in the box when crosses come in. Surely we must play 2 up front at home and attack the visiting team.  I quite liked us playing 3-5-2, do we have the players to play that formation?  It's certainly a more attacking formation for home games.

I know it's Premier League, but watching Aston Villa away at Newcastle, they were getting 4-5 players in the Newcastle box when attacking.  relatively we should be able to do the same in League Two, unless instructions have been given to not do that.  But why would that be the case when we are at home?  Are we too worried about countering the other teams tactics, instead of letting them worry about ours?

I'm surprised I've posted this as I very rarely talk about tactics, but I just don't understand why we are not attacking teams on our home ground.
Reply: 64 - 124
chaos33
August 13, 2023, 11:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
Well we’ve only played one home game, but I would also like to see us be more aggressive up front, starting on Tuesday. I think it’s fair to expect more from players like Eisa and Vernham who need to raise their game and influence the outcome to greater effect. A returning Khan would also be welcomed as he’s a skilful forward.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 124
Rick12
August 13, 2023, 11:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from GrimRob
Every year we have variations of this conversation when we fail to take the league by storm and we drop back to the "bedding in" observation about the players.
Think this maybe due to Grimsby's decent history albeit a long while back. Back in the old top flight just after the war and  played top flight football before the war as fans will know .  Now football has changed with rich owners investing more in lower league clubs whereas in the past the maximum wage allowed for a more even playing field .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 124
crusty ole pie
August 13, 2023, 12:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,383
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from Yoda
Hurst will tinker is to death
Let’s face it he’s good with a small squad on a tight budget , give him money he is useless.
Bought in loads of players on long term deals still doesn’t know his best eleven.
Thank god i never bought a season ticket.
Lower mid table at best.

Do you know what am bloody pleased you didn’t buy a season ticket too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 124
tarka
August 13, 2023, 12:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +895
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Yoda
Hurst will tinker is to death
Let’s face it he’s good with a small squad on a tight budget , give him money he is useless.
Bought in loads of players on long term deals still doesn’t know his best eleven.
Thank god i never bought a season ticket.
Lower mid table at best.

Don't feed the troll!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 68 - 124
WesternMariner
August 14, 2023, 8:34am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +948
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Do you know what am bloody pleased you didn’t buy a season ticket too

He have struggled to afford one. His mam only gives him a quid pocket money.

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 124
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst the tinkerman.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.