Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst the tinkerman.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Hurst the tinkerman.

This thread currently has 10,470 views. Print
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
August 15, 2023, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,261
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from diehardmariner
I would go with the same eleven that started the first two games but just tweak the set-up.  Midfield 3 with Hunt and Clifton pressing ahead of Conteh.  Vernam and Eisa wide cutting in, not central and drifting out to the wings.  

I don't think it's the XI selected that necessarily prevented us from picking up more than 1 point, but the way we've set up to play.

Obviously big question marks over Glennon after the last two games.  He doesn't fancy Amos though, clearly.  Efete did ok on Saturday when he came on but he's not a natural down there.  In the absence of a natural left-footer further forward, I think there's some definite merit in having something to resemble balance.    If it's a definite no-go on Glennon and Amos I would be half tempted to put Khouri there.  Did ok a few seasons back when asked to do a job there, not ideal but options are limited.

I've a feeling he'll bring Green into the midfield to add some steel, which I'm ok with but that means you've got to let Conteh go further forward.  Otherwise it's 2 guys sat in front of the back four.  Conteh driving forward could be a bit Jay Matete like.

I hope that he doesn't bring Green in for any reason. Under the new rules, he's a walking yellow card.

I can't help but think that our personnel would be more suited to a 5-3-2. Mullarkey looks more centre back than right back and Efete and Glennon look more like wing backs. Play the same 3 in midfield with Harry narrower and either Vernam or Eisa (or Pyke if fit) in and around Rose.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 124
Maringer
August 15, 2023, 12:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
I'm always a little bit wary about having a really tall full-back as it is difficult for them to turn quickly enough against nippy smaller players. Not impossible, but difficult. Efete is over 6 feet tall and is quick enough, but I'm not sure about Mullarkey in that role yet, even though he looks a capable footballer with the ball at his feet.

The problem with Efete is that he's quick and strong but his delivery into the box is really poor. Can't play somebody who can't cross as a wing-back and expect to create too much.

Glennon is a good crosser, but lacks the pace (and perhaps fitness?) to get up and down the line.

If only we had another Danny Andrew. He was fast enough and good enough that we didn't even bother with a left-midfielder when he was playing much of the time!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 124
MuddyWaters
August 15, 2023, 12:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,261
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Maringer
I'm always a little bit wary about having a really tall full-back as it is difficult for them to turn quickly enough against nippy smaller players. Not impossible, but difficult. Efete is over 6 feet tall and is quick enough, but I'm not sure about Mullarkey in that role yet, even though he looks a capable footballer with the ball at his feet.

The problem with Efete is that he's quick and strong but his delivery into the box is really poor. Can't play somebody who can't cross as a wing-back and expect to create too much.

Glennon is a good crosser, but lacks the pace (and perhaps fitness?) to get up and down the line.

If only we had another Danny Andrew. He was fast enough and good enough that we didn't even bother with a left-midfielder when he was playing much of the time!

But, as a wing back, Efete offers a goal threat to get forward and on the end of left wing crosses and from set pieces. I don't know the stats but he does get goals.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 124
Maringer
August 15, 2023, 12:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I seem to think that pretty much all of Efete's goals have come from headers at set pieces. He's strong in the air, no doubt, but shooting and crossing aren't his game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 124
August 15, 2023, 1:52pm
Guest User
Quoted from rancido

It isn't if that -4 is maintained and still there at the end of their season. Playing a gung-ho style of football and getting beaten with a large negative goal difference can be the difference between promotion or a play- off place - or a play- off place or being an also ran. It can also be the difference between league survival and relegation.

Come on mate, there are 44 games to go

Reply: 114 - 124
Mappers
August 15, 2023, 2:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,339
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Maringer
I seem to think that pretty much all of Efete's goals have come from headers at set pieces. He's strong in the air, no doubt, but shooting and crossing aren't his game.

The only 2 i remember were  well worked goals when he got in behind the opposition defence from deep and finished  well  - one was Sutton away , another at home against whom escapes me .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 124
Theimperialcoroner
August 15, 2023, 3:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Mappers

The only 2 i remember were  well worked goals when he got in behind the opposition defence from deep and finished  well  - one was Sutton away , another at home against whom escapes me .

Didn’t he score a belter Vs Torquay

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 124
Hagrid
August 15, 2023, 3:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,436
Gold Stars: 535
Quoted from Maringer

Scored against Hartlepool at home getting forward, Sutton Away playing as a wing back, Torquay away driving into the box. Carlisle at home think he stayed up from a corner or free kick, he's a threat
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 124
IlkleyMariner
August 15, 2023, 3:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,013
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Maringer

Think he got a well taken goal in the embarrassing defeat at home to Hartlepool on Good Friday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 124
Maringer
August 15, 2023, 3:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I can only remember him scoring headers during the non-league promotion season!

Did miss a few games last season, so perhaps those are the ones I forget.

Regardless, his crossing remains very dodgy, in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 124
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst the tinkerman.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.