Poojah
August 9, 2023, 10:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,576
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from sam gy
‘Kinell….have we always been this bothered about the league cup?

It’s the timing. We’re two games in, have had one reasonable performance and one very poor one, having not looked awfully like scoring along the way.

I don’t see these two opening games as being necessarily characteristic of the remaining 45 league + cup games to come, it’s a long season and there’s sufficient evidence that PH can be trusted to get things right in the long-term, but people are naturally going to extrapolate the first two games in the absence of any broader context, hence the negativity.

Saturday’s performance or result is either going to dampen or amplify that sentiment, depending on how things go, but there’s a long way to go so, whatever happens, people shouldn’t be too quick to lose their shít, imo.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 56
aldi_01
August 9, 2023, 11:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Judging from the moaning, you’d imagine those that have spent all summer going on about capacity won’t need to worry about the few threat can’t get a ticket; season ticket holders will be releasing their tickets, and the queues outside BP for match day tickets will have dissipated…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 56
August 9, 2023, 11:23am
Guest User
The thing is, football is NOT a level playing field.  There are teams that have players with more pace than us, players that have more quality than ours, and like last night, teams that have played together for some time and have gelled better than us.

It would be nice to win every game, but that is not going to happen, for us OR any other team.  For me, if every eleven we put out on the field every week gives 100% and plays to the best of their abilities, then we can ask for no more.

Sure it's ok to come on here and voice your opinions on players performance on the night, but we are a League Two team, not Premier League, and many mistakes will be made, but as long as they put in the effort and do their best, I think we need to cut them a bit of slack.
Reply: 22 - 56
Hagrid
August 9, 2023, 11:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from 123614
The thing is, football is NOT a level playing field.  There are teams that have players with more pace than us, players that have more quality than ours, and like last night, teams that have played together for some time and have gelled better than us.

It would be nice to win every game, but that is not going to happen, for us OR any other team.  For me, if every eleven we put out on the field every week gives 100% and plays to the best of their abilities, then we can ask for no more.

Sure it's ok to come on here and voice your opinions on players performance on the night, but we are a League Two team, not Premier League, and many mistakes will be made, but as long as they put in the effort and do their best, I think we need to cut them a bit of slack.

For Me bear, there was some last night who didnt do that, we looked very half arsed.

hurst said as much in his post match interview as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 56
August 9, 2023, 11:30am
Guest User
If that is the case, I don't know, wasn't there, then I'm sure PH will sort that out pretty damn quick.
Reply: 24 - 56
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 9, 2023, 11:40am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Having watched the home friendlies and the Wimbledon game I understand the concern over the creation of chances and what appears to be an inability to score goals. Thinking back to the Lincoln game in particular seem to recall that we were getting a number of players into the box as crosses came in thus helping to create more problems for the opposition whereas v Wimbledon we appeared to take a step backwards and just have Rose and possibly one other floater.

I also expected that our forwards would be pressing more up top but felt on Saturday that we allowed them too much time at the back.
Probably my age but I’m not a fan of 2 wide players with one central striker but seems to be the modern way and of course we have not yet had chance to see a fit Pyke and Wilson play in competitive matches and when fit will PH adjust his formation?  Having these players injured for the latter friendlies obviously didn’t help PH determine his preferred forward options.

With so many new players we have to expect tweaks to style and personnel will take place in these early games and while changing the side v Mansfield restricts the chance of the team gelling it did allow the chance for a number of players getting minutes in their legs in a competitive game and with a busy fixture list ahead this might prove a wise move. Didn’t we play a much changed team last year v Crewe and win comfortably? Think this was helped by the fact that Crewe also made changes whereas Mansfield went full strength.

I would like a big mobile number nine added to the squad but other than that I think we will be fine.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 56
sam gy
August 9, 2023, 11:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
In the last seven times we've been in the league cup (since our original promotion out of the national league) we've only got past the 1st round twice....and i never remember seeing such a big thing being made out of it, unless i have a short memory? highly likely.

Just think that he used the game to give some of the fringe (and one brand new) players a chance, which was the right thing to do imo...for squad harmony, and to say pretty much everyone has been given a chance to impress, without experimenting during a league game.

it drastically failed, but sometimes you learn more from defeats than you do from victories. and he sure as hell learned a lot last night.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 56
diehardmariner
August 9, 2023, 12:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539

Well let's see how it pans out then. His "best team" didn't create a single close range chance on Saturday and despite people enthusing we could field 2 strong teams last night was a shocker. Why wouldn't you continue to play your strongest team in an important cup game?

None of us know how it will go so we can only comment on what we see.

If any of the long range shots go in on Saturday are you still cursing the lack of close range efforts?  It was one game. That's it.  I think Hurst himself noted that he was disappointed we didn't create more near the goal, he knows what we need to do better.  I said post-game I think he needs to be less cautious and have just one holding midfielder rather than two, especially at home.  I thought on Saturday, especially in the first 30 minutes, we were superb in getting up to 30 yards out then our final delivery let us down (from everyone).  I'm confident that it won't be everyone, each week, who fluffs at the crucial moment.

Why didn't he play the same team?  Probably because we've got games coming thick and fast in the first 6 weeks of the season and he wants to make sure his players are fresh with everyone as match sharp as possible.

Give it a few more games, see how it pans out then.  At least give them a chance.  We only scored 4 in the first 6 in 1997/98
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 56
sam gy
August 9, 2023, 12:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Feel like this whole "we didn't have enough chances inside the box" angle, whilst fair, is overshadowing the fact that we actually did have a fair few decent chances, and if one of them had gone in, who would give a excrement?

In particular, that play for the Rose header was absolutely incredible...if Glennon's cross had been a tad lower, Rose is burying it and we all talk about it for years to come. You can't just create chances like that against teams if you're a excrement team?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 56
lew chaterleys lover
August 9, 2023, 12:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from diehardmariner

If any of the long range shots go in on Saturday are you still cursing the lack of close range efforts?  It was one game. That's it.  I think Hurst himself noted that he was disappointed we didn't create more near the goal, he knows what we need to do better.  I said post-game I think he needs to be less cautious and have just one holding midfielder rather than two, especially at home.  I thought on Saturday, especially in the first 30 minutes, we were superb in getting up to 30 yards out then our final delivery let us down (from everyone).  I'm confident that it won't be everyone, each week, who fluffs at the crucial moment.

Why didn't he play the same team?  Probably because we've got games coming thick and fast in the first 6 weeks of the season and he wants to make sure his players are fresh with everyone as match sharp as possible.

Give it a few more games, see how it pans out then.  At least give them a chance.  We only scored 4 in the first 6 in 1997/98

We attend a game, we discuss it and dissect it afterwards. In real time, as events unfold. That is the way it works.

None of us know what Saturday will bring, or the rest of the season. We might get promoted, we might get relegated.

At this point, it is perfectly acceptable to say we haven't created chances; if you point out our inadequacies post match then why is that different to anyone else?

It might be completely different on Saturday. If it is then great, and no doubt I will post accordingly. If its another disaster then we will discuss that.

I have known many seasons where we started off with high hopes only to be relegated so there is no point quoting 1997 or any other year as each season is different.

We should play the same team because that is how you become a team - if after 10 games or so we need fresh legs then we can make one or two changes but keep the continuity. It's a squad game but that doesn't mean Russian roulette in team selection.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst post match Mansfied

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.