DB
August 9, 2023, 6:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,019
Gold Stars: 386
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0g5l5tp

Although downbeat he sounds as if some players may be out by the end of the transfer widow. I don't think he needs us to say how bad they were and says he won't set up a team like that again, so a week on Saturday will tell when we play them again. Also not forgetting this Saturday at County we see what his preferred 1st eleven are.

One main thing he did mention was that Mansfield ran faster than us, which I also thought was the case with some Wimbledon players last Saturday. All in all it was a major disappointment for the 500+ travelling fans who went to Mansfield and deserved better from the team.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Son of Cod
August 9, 2023, 7:29am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Another sign of the maturing of Hurst mk II over first stint Hurst. No way would he have admitted he got that so wrong back in the heady days of 2014. Fair play to him. Let's hope he puts a rocket up the players' arses.

Something that has been pointed out several times in the other threads is that this is a new side still gelling, however look at that from the Mansfield side too. Not only are they one of the favourites for promotion, they've also had to do very little business this season. Their squad is settled and Clough has just made some fairly minor tweaks (compared to Hurst) in an attempt to go from a playoff side to an auto spot side. While it's a bit of a blow to morale to be comprehensively swept aside, it's hardly a shock that should be confining us to a season at the foot of the table like some seem to be suggesting.

Notts on Saturday who are struggling worse and have a defence that can be picked apart by all accounts. Let's get into them Town and come back with three points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 56
Stew0_0
August 9, 2023, 7:29am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 35
I heard it as Hurst will not be playing the players in that combination again. Not necessarily shipping anyone out.
An example for me, not a central midfield 2 of Holohan and Green together as we got tore to shreds in the centre of the park.
Think a striker in before the window closes and a close to the 11 that started against Wimbledon plz for Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 56
aldi_01
August 9, 2023, 7:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Mansfield have been in the playoffs several times since getting back into the league but seemingly falling short when it matters, the playoff final the day we beat Wrexham springs to mind, they just fell apart.

They’ve got a large budget but unlike previous years, Clough has knitted the squad together and I guess they feel this could be their year. It could be as well, ignoring the disproportionate spending of Wrexham and their sense of entitlement and media obsession, they’re clearly not that good. Similar with County, which makes me think there’s a few teams that will fancy their chances.

As for Hurst, as you say, it’s another sign of how he’s changed for the better, admitting it didn’t work and being honest. Can’t fault that and I take it as one or two will be going out on loan but may be they’re happy to stick it out, either way, they combination of players and system won’t be used again. Holohan and Green for example, just didn’t work and didn’t really work last year.

On a different note, the results, as usual were all over last night, random teams winning in penalties and then banker wins losing. Typical of this stage in the season and the first round of the league cup…County with another red card too.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 56
lew chaterleys lover
August 9, 2023, 8:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from DB
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0g5l5tp

Although downbeat he sounds as if some players may be out by the end of the transfer widow. I don't think he needs us to say how bad they were and says he won't set up a team like that again, so a week on Saturday will tell when we play them again. Also not forgetting this Saturday at County we see what his preferred 1st eleven are.

One main thing he did mention was that Mansfield ran faster than us, which I also thought was the case with some Wimbledon players last Saturday. All in all it was a major disappointment for the 500+ travelling fans who went to Mansfield and deserved better from the team.

He never knows his best team, does he? That is what pre season is supposed to be about. All the excited comments on here and elsewhere about how good our signings were and how much pace we've added look in tatters already.

Add to that we are woefully light up front.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 56
Son of Cod
August 9, 2023, 8:48am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196

He never knows his best team, does he? That is what pre season is supposed to be about. All the excited comments on here and elsewhere about how good our signings were and how much pace we've added look in tatters already.

Bloody hell, give them a chance. We've not really seen Pyke or Wilson yet! I don't think it's a question of being woefully light (think we could do with one more) it's more a question of getting the system that fits the players at his disposal. Rose needs to be in a two for me, said that all along. Nothing against Rose, Vernam and Eisa individually. They're definitely upgrades on players we had last season in their respective positions but collectively I'm not sure they're gonna be that effective.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 56
lew chaterleys lover
August 9, 2023, 9:04am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

Bloody hell, give them a chance. We've not really seen Pyke or Wilson yet! I don't think it's a question of being woefully light (think we could do with one more) it's more a question of getting the system that fits the players at his disposal. Rose needs to be in a two for me, said that all along. Nothing against Rose, Vernam and Eisa individually. They're definitely upgrades on players we had last season in their respective positions but collectively I'm not sure they're gonna be that effective.

You're saying the same but in a nicer way!

We should know by now our best attacking formation(that is what pre season is for) the new signings were hailed in some quarters as amazing (better technically no doubt) but as you say might not be effective and however you cut it we are short of a big man up front to act as a focal point.

How overjoyed we were when the signings were brought in early, a real chance to bed them in properly and decide on your best system etc but no we are still in pre season mode. We didn't make one close range chance on Saturday and last night was beyond the pale.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 56
aldi_01
August 9, 2023, 9:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

Christ, you must’ve needed a padded room when we were relegation fodder…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 56
Croxton
August 9, 2023, 9:09am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Son of Cod

Mansfield were excellent at working an overload on Glennon. Vernam was drawn back to help out but was immediately closed down by their press. Their midfield, especially Lewis were better at supporting their wide men, creating angles and options. Way too mobile and clever for Holohan and Green. Gnahoua was not ready for such a test. Barely knows anyone and had no space. A cameo out wide would have been better for a player with no pre season.

Vernam tried to beat players where a simple lay off would suffice. Mansfield only tried to beat players when near the box and rarely gave up possession in midfield.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 56
lew chaterleys lover
August 9, 2023, 9:11am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Christ, you must’ve needed a padded room when we were relegation fodder…

Have you been to the games? What is your opinion?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 56
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst post match Mansfied

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.