Reply: 10 - 56
Mappers
August 9, 2023, 9:18am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
Putting last night to one side , this first 10 games were never going to be easy - we have been front loaded with all the well financed and settled teams right at the start barring Notts who seem to be imploding after 2 games .

It might be negative but I would be happy with 6 or 7 points from the first 5 games which I think would be a reasonable start given the opponents . When we get through the first 10 there are a lot more (on paper) favourable fixtures that should in theory yield a lot of points .

Notts on Saturday is certainly a chance to get off the mark on the goalscoring front - a poor defence , playing that high line with their best defender now suspended .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
diehardmariner
August 9, 2023, 9:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539

He never knows his best team, does he? That is what pre season is supposed to be about. All the excited comments on here and elsewhere about how good our signings were and how much pace we've added look in tatters already.

He started his best team on Saturday that was available to him, having tried it out in the Lincoln game. He used pre-season to try formations and variations of players.  The point of a squad is that you have players coming into form at different points, I'd rather he doesn't know his best team all the time and have players challenging each other.

It's two games in, one of which we played a side that would take a lot of injuries for us to field in a league fixture.

Just like how two wins this week wouldn't have made us Champions elect, a draw and a cup defeat doesn't put everything in 'tatters'.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
Son of Cod
August 9, 2023, 9:37am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196

You're saying the same but in a nicer way!

We should know by now our best attacking formation(that is what pre season is for) the new signings were hailed in some quarters as amazing (better technically no doubt) but as you say might not be effective and however you cut it we are short of a big man up front to act as a focal point.

How overjoyed we were when the signings were brought in early, a real chance to bed them in properly and decide on your best system etc but no we are still in pre season mode. We didn't make one close range chance on Saturday and last night was beyond the pale.

I don't think that 6(?) pre-season games, 1 league match and a League Cup game is really adequate for Hurst to 100% know exactly who is best XI are. I agree that we're a big man short though or at least a different sort of striker to Rose. Pyke could provide that once he's properly up and running.

Quoted from Croxton

Mansfield were excellent at working an overload on Glennon. Vernam was drawn back to help out but was immediately closed down by their press. Their midfield, especially Lewis were better at supporting their wide men, creating angles and options. Way too mobile and clever for Holohan and Green. Gnahoua was not ready for such a test. Barely knows anyone and had no space. A cameo out wide would have been better for a player with no pre season.

Vernam tried to beat players where a simple lay off would suffice. Mansfield only tried to beat players when near the box and rarely gave up possession in midfield.

So would you say the bigger selection error was midfield as opposed to attack? I also assumed Eisa was in the middle of that three and Gnahoua was on the right, was that not the case?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
lew chaterleys lover
August 9, 2023, 9:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from diehardmariner

He started his best team on Saturday that was available to him, having tried it out in the Lincoln game. He used pre-season to try formations and variations of players.  The point of a squad is that you have players coming into form at different points, I'd rather he doesn't know his best team all the time and have players challenging each other.

It's two games in, one of which we played a side that would take a lot of injuries for us to field in a league fixture.

Just like how two wins this week wouldn't have made us Champions elect, a draw and a cup defeat doesn't put everything in 'tatters'.

Well let's see how it pans out then. His "best team" didn't create a single close range chance on Saturday and despite people enthusing we could field 2 strong teams last night was a shocker. Why wouldn't you continue to play your strongest team in an important cup game?

None of us know how it will go so we can only comment on what we see.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 56
TownSNAFU5
August 9, 2023, 9:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
If the team is still gelling, which it is is, you can argue that last night was a free- hit to continue this long process.

Hurst should already know the strengths and weaknesses of his squad players.

Easy to say this after the event.  A better team and better performance would have built some confidence.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 56
mariner91
August 9, 2023, 9:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Croxton

Mansfield were excellent at working an overload on Glennon. Vernam was drawn back to help out but was immediately closed down by their press. Their midfield, especially Lewis were better at supporting their wide men, creating angles and options. Way too mobile and clever for Holohan and Green. Gnahoua was not ready for such a test. Barely knows anyone and had no space. A cameo out wide would have been better for a player with no pre season.

Vernam tried to beat players where a simple lay off would suffice. Mansfield only tried to beat players when near the box and rarely gave up possession in midfield.

I do wonder if this is where the problems stemmed from last night. Neither are particularly mobile and neither are particularly good at looking after the ball. If you're being over run and then giving the ball away cheaply when you do get it, it's a recipe for disaster. I would be highly surprised if those two start any league games together. That isn't to say that other players didn't let themselves down but if your central midfield is completely dominated then you're facing an up hill battle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
Limerick Mariner
August 9, 2023, 9:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Son of Cod

I don't think that 6(?) pre-season games, 1 league match and a League Cup game is really adequate for Hurst to 100% know exactly who is best XI are. I agree that we're a big man short though or at least a different sort of striker to Rose. Pyke could provide that once he's properly up and running.

So would you say the bigger selection error was midfield as opposed to attack? I also assumed Eisa was in the middle of that three and Gnahoua was on the right, was that not the case?

Gnahoua didn’t know where the feck he was…! He’s had no preseason so there is an excuse. Just surprised PH chucked him in there.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
Maringer
August 9, 2023, 10:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from mariner91

I do wonder if this is where the problems stemmed from last night. Neither are particularly mobile and neither are particularly good at looking after the ball. If you're being over run and then giving the ball away cheaply when you do get it, it's a recipe for disaster. I would be highly surprised if those two start any league games together. That isn't to say that other players didn't let themselves down but if your central midfield is completely dominated then you're facing an up hill battle.

I differ with you there as I think both are physically capable enough - strong, can run, not slow. It's their relative lack of ability on the ball which would be an issue for me as neither is technically the most gifted and you don't really expect them to keep possession effectively. Holohan has a knack of popping up with goals but I agree he's not really going to be first choice this season unless we have a few injuries. Green useful to bolster the defence in a backs against the wall sort of a performance.

It sounds as though we just weren't at the races throughout the team last night, which does happen. Could be a tricky one on Saturday now as County have a lot to prove to their fans so will really be going for it.

They are apparently hopeless at the back, so we need to take advantage of the chances that come our way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 56
sam gy
August 9, 2023, 10:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
‘Kinell….have we always been this bothered about the league cup?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst post match Mansfied

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.