MuddyWaters
August 8, 2023, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from mariner91
Said last season that Green wasn’t good enough and got pelters for it. I stand by that statement. Holohan is also only good enough for back up.

But the concerning thing from tonight is the fact none of the new attacking signings did anything and the apparent lack of effort from some. I’d be interested to know which players weren’t giving their all.

I also think neither Amos or Glennon are good enough if you want to be around the top 7. Too slow and too easily beaten, they’re starting to get targeted and we concede a startling amount of our goals from that side.

If you play with effectively wingers (Vernam and Eisa/Gnahoua) you need good defensive full backs. Mullarkey is, Glennon isn’t.
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 140
toontown
August 8, 2023, 9:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from aldi_01

You’d imagine Amos and Holohan both want to play, Holohan has dropped out the league before to play regularly so you’d imagine he’s not too worried. Amos is decent but Efete coming on, even in a system change suggests he’s unlikely to feature either.

Green might hang around to be that sort of player that is brought on to tighten things up, although I’d have him no where near the side and would bin him off and keep Holohan in the fold…

I agree in that holohan offers more than green but doesn't green have 2 more years on his contract as opposed to holohan with 1? - that might decide that holohan is the one to leave. We have plenty of options in CM so that might be enough to free up enough budget to get a forward in on loan or something.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 140
lew chaterleys lover
August 8, 2023, 9:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,722
Gold Stars: 237
I don't blame the players. A team picked to give players a game is no good for anybody. Every part of the team changed - what chance have they got? You need to make the odd change when necessary but you need a team to gel and get a rhythm going.

You could see on Saturday it's going to be a struggle to score goals and tonight we did well to get into their half.

I will be amazed if we go 2 successive games unchanged during the season.

Oh and we obviously need a big front man but what's new.
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 140
MuddyWaters
August 8, 2023, 9:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from toontown

I agree in that holohan offers more than green but doesn't green have 2 more years on his contract as opposed to holohan with 1? - that might decide that holohan is the one to leave. We have plenty of options in CM so that might be enough to free up enough budget to get a forward in on loan or something.

Green signed a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd. Hopefully our option not his.
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 140
Mariner93er
August 8, 2023, 10:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,739
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from mariner91
Said last season that Green wasn’t good enough and got pelters for it. I stand by that statement. Holohan is also only good enough for back up.

But the concerning thing from tonight is the fact none of the new attacking signings did anything and the apparent lack of effort from some. I’d be interested to know which players weren’t giving their all.

I also think neither Amos or Glennon are good enough if you want to be around the top 7. Too slow and too easily beaten, they’re starting to get targeted and we concede a startling amount of our goals from that side.

The left side of our defence has been targeted for a long time now. Glennon's judgement when a ball is played over his head into space is really poor for this level, and for the second half of last season, virtually every team we played knew and targeted it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 140
Hagrid
August 8, 2023, 10:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,422
Gold Stars: 534
Vernam gave him no support either. 3 year deal?! Must be pissing himself.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 140
nightrider
August 8, 2023, 10:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Hagrid

Agree 100%. Shocking business

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 140
arryarryarry
August 8, 2023, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Hagrid

From the friendlies to last Saturday I thought he hadn't done enough and I am/was a fan of him when he was last here.

I was still very surprised that we paid money and a 3 year deal.

He needs to do more than he has so far.
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 140
Garth
August 8, 2023, 10:41pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Thought Vernam was an in and out player last time we had him, nothings changed imo.
As for Green a liability this season, the league's got as lot stronger and unless we sign some fire power from somewhere we are going to struggle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 140
Azimuth
August 8, 2023, 11:11pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from denni266
2 games and we have offered nothing up front  

You mean two seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 140
15 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Mansfield match thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.