WayneBurnettsJockstrap
June 19, 2023, 8:41am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from 137
Just want to establish that when posters are referring to 'vinegar', the reference is to malt vinegar.

Here in Thailand when I ask for vinegar in a restaurant I get red wine vinegar or balsamic.
Quite the wrong things to go with fish and chips!

An unhealthy amount of salt plus malt vinegar is all that fish and chips requires,
but I put Hellman's mayonnaise on the chips if it's available. There...I've said it.

All well and good. Mayo is an acceptable 'dip', but pray tell what type of fish are we talking here? Im guessing we arent in the realms of haddock or c#d?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 103
OddShapedBalls
June 19, 2023, 8:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
I feel the need to confess to something. I sometimes put mint sauce on my mushy peas, with haddock on the same plate, I try to keep the mint sauce away from the haddock, but usually the batter gets cross-contaminated. A total aberration I know, but obviously I only do that in my own home. I was a bit worried at one time because my kids saw me do it, luckily they never mentioned at school and thankfully smart phones and social media weren't around when they were school age. Social services never found out. The kids never talk about it but I expect it will eventually get mentioned at my wake.

It all started at Leeds Uni Students Unions in the autumn of 81, pie and peas and a pint of Tetley bitter for 80p; I saw a student called Liam from Bolton put the mint sauce on the mushy peas. He also liked Echo and the Bunnymen, had an Ian McCulloch hair cut and wore a long green army coat and we became drinking buddies. Its good to be able to talk about it after all this time.

And if Liam jumped off a cliff, would you jump off a cliff too?  Minted peas, and to think I was accused of Humberstone residency for merely enjoying tartare sauce like God intended.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 103
RonMariner
June 19, 2023, 9:43am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,693
Gold Stars: 226
But is Eisa any good?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 103
RonMariner
June 19, 2023, 9:45am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,693
Gold Stars: 226
But before we move on, one question. Pickled onion with it or not?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 103
June 19, 2023, 10:14am
Guest User

All well and good. Mayo is an acceptable 'dip', but pray tell what type of fish are we talking here? Im guessing we arent in the realms of haddock or c#d?

The Friday "Special" at Gekko Restaurant, Chiang Mai is c#d and chips - which I haven't tried as the bog-standard fish and chips which is
available all week is decent. I'll have to get back to you about what fish it is though...I haven't bothered to find out (it's not haddock though).
Reply: 84 - 103
Madeleymariner
June 19, 2023, 10:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,052
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from RonMariner

Are you from Yorkshire or something
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 103
MarinerWY
June 19, 2023, 10:25am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from RonMariner

Get out.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 103
June 19, 2023, 10:29am
Guest User
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
And if Liam jumped off a cliff, would you jump off a cliff too?  Minted peas, and to think I was accused of Humberstone residency for merely enjoying tartare sauce like God intended.

Nothing wrong with minted mushy peas - adds a certain piquancy to your farts.

I'm also sufficiently broad-minded to tolerate folk who stray into tartare sauce territory...provided they don't shamelessly flaunt it on
serious social media discussions on the Fishy about fish and chips.
Reply: 87 - 103
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 19, 2023, 10:30am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,275
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from DB
Back in the day, many decades ago, I remember going to the pub with 10 bob (50p to most of you) having 4/5 pints of bitter, losing at cards and going to the chippy for haddock, chips and peas served in newspaper ( nobody died from having fish & chips in newspaper) and having change in my pocket.

My 1st pint in a pub cost me 101/2 old pence ( about 4p in today's money ). Those were the days.

Can anyone else hear the Hovis music playing in the background?

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 103
AussieMariner
June 19, 2023, 10:34am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from 137

The Friday "Special" at Gekko Restaurant, Chiang Mai is c#d and chips - which I haven't tried as the bog-standard fish and chips which is
available all week is decent. I'll have to get back to you about what fish it is though...I haven't bothered to find out (it's not haddock though).

In Aus most battered fish sold as fish and chips is ‘flake’ which is an umbrella term for various types of shark. It also is decent. Sadly tartare is the most common accompaniment. Mushy peas are virtually non existent as are scraps. Part of why I came back to live in the Old Dart.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Abo Eisa

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.