Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TAGG, June 14, 2023, 6:04pm
New signing

Only thing I can find out is that he's permanently injured.
Anyone know anything else about the lad?
Posted by: moosey_club, June 14, 2023, 6:08pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from TAGG

Straight swap for Scannell then if that's the case. 😗
Posted by: forza ivano, June 14, 2023, 6:09pm; Reply: 2
Only a 1 year deal, so low risk. Presumably that's because of the injury worries
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 14, 2023, 6:13pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from TAGG

He’s not though, been okay for a fair few seasons then seemed to have issues at Bradford. Also he wouldn’t be at Town if he’d not had issues last few years. Would probably be L1 or a bigger L2 spender.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 14, 2023, 6:16pm; Reply: 4
You heard it first here....

Get £ on him to be top scorer in League 2 next season.

As soon as I find some odds I am.
Posted by: Mappers, June 14, 2023, 6:20pm; Reply: 5
Scunny fans rave over him Bradford fans less so (mainly because he's hardly played in 2 years )

Does not sound like ability is in question , and has worked with Hurst previously .

A good signing in the 'low risk ,high reward ' category for me - he's a very exciting player by the sound of things , so hopefully can get a decent run at it .
Posted by: Maringer, June 14, 2023, 6:25pm; Reply: 6
I'd imagine we'll probably have some sort of an option to extend his contract if he can stay fit and make enough appearances?
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, June 14, 2023, 6:27pm; Reply: 7
Looks well worth the risk . If he stays fit he’ll be a serious addition.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, June 14, 2023, 6:45pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Maringer
I'd imagine we'll probably have some sort of an option to extend his contract if he can stay fit and make enough appearances?
He needs to improve his diet -  get some mushy peas on the plate as one of his 5 a day…

Posted by: Perkins, June 14, 2023, 6:56pm; Reply: 9
Welcome Abo.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 14, 2023, 7:04pm; Reply: 10
Can be brilliant. If he keeps it up for a full season. Bingo
Posted by: sam gy, June 14, 2023, 7:24pm; Reply: 11
Hurst has signed him 3 times, so not risky at all in that regard. Had a good strike rate from the wing at Scunny and seemed to do really well there. Unlucky with injuries at Bradford but it’s only a one year deal. Looks ideal to me!
Posted by: Brummie Codfather, June 14, 2023, 7:26pm; Reply: 12
I really rate him from when I’ve seen him play, fingers crossed his injury problems are behind him.  Could be a great signing!
Posted by: The Caterham Mariner, June 14, 2023, 7:32pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
He needs to improve his diet -  get some mushy peas on the plate as one of his 5 a day…

and scraps and a pint of guinness
UTM 2023--24

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 14, 2023, 7:50pm; Reply: 14
Apparently he is very, very quick!
Posted by: Teestogreen, June 14, 2023, 7:58pm; Reply: 15
Pretty sure the retiring guy on Sky Football used to have a quip about him a ISA S every time he scored, which was quite often 🤙
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 14, 2023, 8:05pm; Reply: 16
(welcome)
Posted by: Teestogreen, June 14, 2023, 8:15pm; Reply: 17
Seems like we could have pace up front all season - Wilson and Eisa  may be susceptible to hamstring injuries with initial sprinting - so good to reduce the risk to the team with 2 quick men 🤙
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, June 14, 2023, 8:56pm; Reply: 18
and scraps and a pint of guinness
UTM 2023--24

Yes, how could I forget the scraps. Nice bit of PR for Steels in that Twitter footage. Have you tried the plum Porter in the Notts?

Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 14, 2023, 10:11pm; Reply: 19
He was decent when he was at Scunny I recall. One year deal worth a punt.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 14, 2023, 10:14pm; Reply: 20
Welcome Abo. I hope your stay is a long and happy one.
Posted by: Nutsy, June 14, 2023, 10:46pm; Reply: 21
I find it mad that Scunny had Van Veen; Eisa-McAtee-Gillead all at the same time and it didn’t quite work out for them…
Posted by: GtfcGarner, June 15, 2023, 6:16am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Nutsy
I find it mad that Scunny had Van Veen; Eisa-McAtee-Gillead all at the same time and it didn’t quite work out for them…

Absolutely, they are all good players in this division. I see that Van Veen ripped the SPL apart and has been linked with a transfer back to Holland. I really really do hope Eisa turns out to be a standout player for us.
Posted by: lukeo, June 15, 2023, 6:38am; Reply: 23
Eisa going to be a good signing I think.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 15, 2023, 8:20am; Reply: 24
Looks like he may be another potential international call up if he can perform at club level. He was called up by the Sudan a couple of years ago but couldnt play because of injury.
Posted by: SheepGTFC, June 15, 2023, 9:00am; Reply: 25
fantastic signing, just need him to stay fit.
Posted by: brigg_mariner, June 15, 2023, 11:55am; Reply: 26
IF he stays fit, cracking signing.
Posted by: Nutsy, June 15, 2023, 1:09pm; Reply: 27
Rose
Eisa-Khan-Vernam

I’d take that!
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, June 15, 2023, 1:45pm; Reply: 28
Serious questions surround Eisa, for me.

Does he go salt and vinegar, just salt, just vinegar, or does he take his chips nude? I also didn't see any tartare sauce on that plate - potentially he was on for a 2 year deal until he outed himself as a no-condiment man
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 15, 2023, 3:39pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

Does he go salt and vinegar, just salt, just vinegar, or does he take his chips nude? I also didn't see any tartare sauce on that plate - potentially he was on for a 2 year deal until he outed himself as a no-condiment man

Don't know what you been smoking, but you need to stop!

Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, June 15, 2023, 3:43pm; Reply: 30

Tartare sauce? I bet you live in Humberston.
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, June 15, 2023, 3:43pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from 123614

Don't know what you been smoking, but you need to stop!

Stop?  OSB's mam didn't raise a quitter!
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 15, 2023, 3:48pm; Reply: 32
Always salt and vinegar (non-brewed condiment). Cut the haddock open, vinegar first, then the salt. No tartare sauce, no ketchup. Possibly some mushy peas. Wouldn't order gravy or curry sauce but might dunk a chip if someone else orders. Half-way through might go for a re-salt. Fairly sure I can get a 3-year deal with that as my showreel!
Posted by: moosey_club, June 15, 2023, 3:48pm; Reply: 33

Haha, I have tartare on my chips too....and yes ...I do reside in Humberston 😀
Posted by: Meza, June 15, 2023, 5:19pm; Reply: 34

call yourself a cod head lol where's the scraps
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, June 15, 2023, 6:20pm; Reply: 35

Yes, how could I forget the scraps. Nice bit of PR for Steels in that Twitter footage. Have you tried the plum Porter in the Notts?

I have and it’s bloody lovely. So good in fact I ordered a case from titanic brewery in The Potteries.

Posted by: rancido, June 15, 2023, 6:24pm; Reply: 36

I use Tartare Sauce and I live in a 2 bed penthouse on the Willows. ( it's actually a top floor flat but it's the same thing but different terminology).
Posted by: Maringer, June 15, 2023, 6:36pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
Always salt and vinegar (non-brewed condiment).

Not quite sure why you would want to use pretend vinegar rather than the real stuff! At least vinegar is brewed (so a bit like booze), rather than concocted in a factory.

However, I have to admit I don't put vinegar on the fish, just the chips. I prefer to eat haddock with ketchup as well, so I'm perhaps not the best person to give advice...

Don't know why people would want to eat tartare sauce as it's not very nice. If I was going to be poncy with fish, it would be salsa verde every time.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 15, 2023, 7:42pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Maringer

Not quite sure why you would want to use pretend vinegar rather than the real stuff! At least vinegar is brewed (so a bit like booze), rather than concocted in a factory.

However, I have to admit I don't put vinegar on the fish, just the chips. I prefer to eat haddock with ketchup as well, so I'm perhaps not the best person to give advice...

Don't know why people would want to eat tartare sauce as it's not very nice. If I was going to be poncy with fish, it would be salsa verde every time.

Career in non-league destined for Maringer 🤪

Regarding the vinegar, I think most chip shops don't use malt vinegar, so when I have used Sarsons I've always been disappointed (pickled onion vinegar is ok, but never on the fish!). Also, the salt has to be very fine grains! You can't do fish and chips with coarse salt !!!
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 15, 2023, 8:10pm; Reply: 39
Love lots of white pepper on my haddock (and S&V). Anyone else?
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 16, 2023, 12:11am; Reply: 40
Going back to topic. I think Eisa looks like he probably plays similar to Sirike Dembele. Fast , quick feet and mobile to take the ball up the pitch and get at defenders . Seems a solid signing for this level and knows what's expected from the management team.
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, June 16, 2023, 8:35am; Reply: 41

I wish!  I'm stuck in the land of the Imp, where the 6-fingered yokels confidently claim cod is better than haddock...shudder.....
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, June 16, 2023, 8:37am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
Always salt and vinegar (non-brewed condiment). Cut the haddock open, vinegar first, then the salt. No tartare sauce, no ketchup. Possibly some mushy peas. Wouldn't order gravy or curry sauce but might dunk a chip if someone else orders. Half-way through might go for a re-salt. Fairly sure I can get a 3-year deal with that as my showreel!

3 year for sure, and if you do actually re-salt that triggers a 1 year extension.

I have to say though gents, I'm shocked at how many of you heathens don't squeeze fresh-cut lemon over the haddock......
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 17, 2023, 5:13pm; Reply: 43

We just need an insider working for Steels so we know EXACTLY what his additions of choice are
Posted by: lukeo, June 17, 2023, 6:49pm; Reply: 44
GRAVY.
End of discussion.
Posted by: Maringer, June 17, 2023, 6:52pm; Reply: 45
Gravy with chips is an abomination in my eyes.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 17, 2023, 6:57pm; Reply: 46
Gravy with chips is fine, but if there's fish involved the perpetrator should be taken out and shot forthwith
Posted by: mariner91, June 17, 2023, 7:02pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Gravy with chips is fine, but if there's fish involved the perpetrator should be taken out and shot forthwith

Exactly this. Gravy and chips as a snack on it's own is okay. But in no circumstances should there be gravy when haddock is on the plate. Disgraceful.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 17, 2023, 7:08pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from mariner91

Exactly this. Gravy and chips as a snack on it's own is okay. But in no circumstances should there be gravy when haddock is on the plate. Disgraceful.

Couldn’t agree more. I tried it once, and immediately flogged myself as punishment. I don’t know what the hell I was thinking.

As for fish, chips and curry sauce - well, I am a very naughty boy and give that the thumbs up.  I await the backlash….
Posted by: Gilbertswand, June 17, 2023, 7:16pm; Reply: 49
Vinegar??? Surely anyone having tartare sauce should be having a squeeze of fresh lemon on their fish.
Posted by: acko338, June 17, 2023, 7:22pm; Reply: 50
If Eisa can stay fit, Hurst may have signed his diamond rabbit.

Known to be very good, but needs his fitness over a long period to show his full worth.

A quality goalie, 1 more versatile defender, another strong midfielder in place, perhaps 1 more forward, with potential loans later if needed, should make the team really competitive this coming season.
Posted by: Son of Cod, June 17, 2023, 8:41pm; Reply: 51
Salt and vinegar on the chips, blob of ketchup on the side. Generous squeeze of lemon on the fish, then smother the whole fish in a layer of tartare sauce followed by a layer of mushy peas. Then you're good to go. No fannying around with any additional mid-meal saucing/seasoning.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 17, 2023, 10:19pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Son of Cod
Salt and vinegar on the chips, blob of ketchup on the side. Generous squeeze of lemon on the fish, then smother the whole fish in a layer of tartare sauce followed by a layer of mushy peas. Then you're good to go. No fannying around with any additional mid-meal saucing/seasoning.

Scum.
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, June 17, 2023, 10:43pm; Reply: 53
Fish (Haddock obviously) & chips with salt (no vinegar) and mushy peas. There was a time when it would end there for me, but, as they say, travel broadens the mind and the Belgians know a thing or two about chips - so now it’s mayonnaise on the side.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 17, 2023, 10:50pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner
Fish (Haddock obviously) & chips with salt (no vinegar) and mushy peas. There was a time when it would end there for me, but, as they say, travel broadens the mind and the Belgians know a thing or two about chips - so now it’s mayonnaise on the side.

I don't want to go overboard but if you're having mayonnaise with fish and chips then you should probably find a different football team to support.
Posted by: Maringer, June 17, 2023, 10:52pm; Reply: 55
I've tried frites with mayo in Belgium. It was fine, if a bit odd. But frites aren't the same as chippy chips which require something a touch acidic to make them pop, in my mind.
Posted by: LH, June 17, 2023, 11:10pm; Reply: 56
Gents: there is support out there for those of you who need it. You don’t have to suffer through these afflictions and you can, in time, eat chippies like normal people.
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, June 17, 2023, 11:53pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I don't want to go overboard but if you're having mayonnaise with fish and chips then you should probably find a different football team to support.

OK - I’ll give up the mayo
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 18, 2023, 2:40am; Reply: 58
There’s certainly a different class of people in here! The wrong un’s should stick to the seaway and leave the likes of steels and Ernie beckets to the right minded folk.

It’s simple really, haddock, chips and mushy peas with a few scraps on the side. Bread (white) and butter, salt and vinegar, knife and fork and persons choice of beverage. These are the only things that should be present on the table!
Posted by: denni266, June 18, 2023, 6:13am; Reply: 59
Fish chips &peas every time . Bit of the old salt n vinegar  wraped in newspaper every time .. Has to be Haddock
Posted by: chaos33, June 18, 2023, 8:16am; Reply: 60
Quoted from Son of Cod

Have you gone insane? Load of tartare sauce on the fish?!?!

No fannying about thank you. Plenty of salt  and vinegar.
That’s it.
Posted by: Son of Cod, June 18, 2023, 10:08am; Reply: 61
Quoted from chaos33

Have you gone insane? Load of tartare sauce on the fish?!?!

No fannying about thank you. Plenty of salt  and vinegar.
That’s it.

Maybe smother wasn't the correct word, but yeah of course it's going on the fish. I can't be arsed dipping it in every bite, my way is far more efficient.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 18, 2023, 10:10am; Reply: 62
One of these days I will be able to open a thread that ACTUALLY discusses what the title says!
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, June 18, 2023, 11:47am; Reply: 63
I feel the need to confess to something. I sometimes put mint sauce on my mushy peas, with haddock on the same plate, I try to keep the mint sauce away from the haddock, but usually the batter gets cross-contaminated. A total aberration I know, but obviously I only do that in my own home. I was a bit worried at one time because my kids saw me do it, luckily they never mentioned at school and thankfully smart phones and social media weren't around when they were school age. Social services never found out. The kids never talk about it but I expect it will eventually get mentioned at my wake.

It all started at Leeds Uni Students Unions in the autumn of 81, pie and peas and a pint of Tetley bitter for 80p; I saw a student called Liam from Bolton put the mint sauce on the mushy peas. He also liked Echo and the Bunnymen, had an Ian McCulloch hair cut and wore a long green army coat and we became drinking buddies. Its good to be able to talk about it after all this time.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 18, 2023, 1:19pm; Reply: 64
I went out with a girl at uni that liked skate and chips instead.

The laces got stuck in her teeth and the wheels mangled her ar5e beyond recognition
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 18, 2023, 2:18pm; Reply: 65
I’m not from Grimsby. My dad is the son of a trawler man, but my dad left Grimsby in 1972. I didn’t really start eating fish until I was around 30, so I don’t have a life time of fish eating experience either. So maybe I’m not qualified to say this, but I’ve lost a lot of respect for some people on here after reading how you eat your Haddock.

I’d rather eat Cod than have Haddock in the way described by some of you.
Posted by: wuffing, June 18, 2023, 3:34pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I’m not from Grimsby. My dad is the son of a trawler man, but my dad left Grimsby in 1972. I didn’t really start eating fish until I was around 30, so I don’t have a life time of fish eating experience either. So maybe I’m not qualified to say this, but I’ve lost a lot of respect for some people on here after reading how you eat your Haddock.

I’d rather eat Cod than have Haddock in the way described by some of you.

That's blasphemy speak!
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 18, 2023, 3:37pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from wuffing

That's blasphemy speak!

I would never buy him Cod, but I would not let him treat Haddock badly either. Naughty Boy.   ;D ;D ;D

Posted by: Mayaman, June 18, 2023, 4:53pm; Reply: 68
I feel the need to confess to something. I sometimes put mint sauce on my mushy peas, with haddock on the same plate, I try to keep the mint sauce away from the haddock, but usually the batter gets cross-contaminated. A total aberration I know, but obviously I only do that in my own home. I was a bit worried at one time because my kids saw me do it, luckily they never mentioned at school and thankfully smart phones and social media weren't around when they were school age. Social services never found out. The kids never talk about it but I expect it will eventually get mentioned at my wake.

It all started at Leeds Uni Students Unions in the autumn of 81, pie and peas and a pint of Tetley bitter for 80p; I saw a student called Liam from Bolton put the mint sauce on the mushy peas. He also liked Echo and the Bunnymen, had an Ian McCulloch hair cut and wore a long green army coat and we became drinking buddies. Its good to be able to talk about it after all this time.

Now I know this is a support group, I'll go next.  My name is Keith and when I was a teen, I used to eat fish cake butties with piccalilli.  I have had extensive counselling and now I am recovering picallilholic.
Posted by: gtfc_chris, June 18, 2023, 5:18pm; Reply: 69
If we’re turning this into confessional then I’ve been reading this thread with interest while holding in something I fear may see me banned from the fishy.

I don’t like fish. (blink1)
Posted by: toontown, June 18, 2023, 6:17pm; Reply: 70
Anybody else like salad cream with their fish and chips - only on the chips obviously, I don't let it touch the fish.

Or is it just me?
Posted by: chaos33, June 18, 2023, 6:20pm; Reply: 71
Please leave the forum 😑
Posted by: gtfc98, June 18, 2023, 9:00pm; Reply: 72
I'll put ketchup next to my chips but it's for the chips and nothing but the chips. I make sure it is never cross contaminated with the fish, batter or scraps. Everything else is just salt and lots of vinegar.
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 18, 2023, 9:23pm; Reply: 73
Please be gentle with me but, if it’s takeaway,not home cooked by the current Mrs Gaffer, then I really like……………., don’t know if I dare say it but here goes, curry all over the fish and chips. Now as an earlier poster said I am also not from Grimsby/ Cleethorpes so it may be something that us fish heathens do.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 18, 2023, 9:28pm; Reply: 74
On no other club’s forum could you have a debate like this, it’s typically preposterous of us!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 18, 2023, 10:54pm; Reply: 75
Am partial to a spam fritter, in a bun, slice of cheese too
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, June 18, 2023, 11:19pm; Reply: 76
Reading this thread helps me to understand why there are over 34,000 different versions of christianity in the world.

Fish, chips, salt, vinegar. The rest is heresy. Let The Inquisition commence!

[img]https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4LyVHweOW_U/TYLcLJxsYeI/AAAAAAAAAG0/FQjuliX5pWk/s1600/Spanish_inquisition.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 18, 2023, 11:42pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

Fish, chips, salt, vinegar.

Sign him up!
Posted by: 137 (Guest), June 19, 2023, 5:40am; Reply: 78
Just want to establish that when posters are referring to 'vinegar', the reference is to malt vinegar.

Here in Thailand when I ask for vinegar in a restaurant I get red wine vinegar or balsamic.
Quite the wrong things to go with fish and chips!

An unhealthy amount of salt plus malt vinegar is all that fish and chips requires,
but I put Hellman's mayonnaise on the chips if it's available. There...I've said it.

Posted by: DB, June 19, 2023, 6:31am; Reply: 79
Back in the day, many decades ago, I remember going to the pub with 10 bob (50p to most of you) having 4/5 pints of bitter, losing at cards and going to the chippy for haddock, chips and peas served in newspaper ( nobody died from having fish & chips in newspaper) and having change in my pocket.

My 1st pint in a pub cost me 101/2 old pence ( about 4p in today's money ). Those were the days.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 19, 2023, 8:41am; Reply: 80
Quoted from 137
Just want to establish that when posters are referring to 'vinegar', the reference is to malt vinegar.

Here in Thailand when I ask for vinegar in a restaurant I get red wine vinegar or balsamic.
Quite the wrong things to go with fish and chips!

An unhealthy amount of salt plus malt vinegar is all that fish and chips requires,
but I put Hellman's mayonnaise on the chips if it's available. There...I've said it.

All well and good. Mayo is an acceptable 'dip', but pray tell what type of fish are we talking here? Im guessing we arent in the realms of haddock or c#d?
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, June 19, 2023, 8:42am; Reply: 81

And if Liam jumped off a cliff, would you jump off a cliff too?  Minted peas, and to think I was accused of Humberstone residency for merely enjoying tartare sauce like God intended.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 19, 2023, 9:43am; Reply: 82
But is Eisa any good?
Posted by: RonMariner, June 19, 2023, 9:45am; Reply: 83
But before we move on, one question. Pickled onion with it or not?
Posted by: 137 (Guest), June 19, 2023, 10:14am; Reply: 84

All well and good. Mayo is an acceptable 'dip', but pray tell what type of fish are we talking here? Im guessing we arent in the realms of haddock or c#d?

The Friday "Special" at Gekko Restaurant, Chiang Mai is c#d and chips - which I haven't tried as the bog-standard fish and chips which is
available all week is decent. I'll have to get back to you about what fish it is though...I haven't bothered to find out (it's not haddock though).
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 19, 2023, 10:14am; Reply: 85
Quoted from RonMariner

Are you from Yorkshire or something :P
Posted by: MarinerWY, June 19, 2023, 10:25am; Reply: 86
Quoted from RonMariner

Get out.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), June 19, 2023, 10:29am; Reply: 87
And if Liam jumped off a cliff, would you jump off a cliff too?  Minted peas, and to think I was accused of Humberstone residency for merely enjoying tartare sauce like God intended.

Nothing wrong with minted mushy peas - adds a certain piquancy to your farts.

I'm also sufficiently broad-minded to tolerate folk who stray into tartare sauce territory...provided they don't shamelessly flaunt it on
serious social media discussions on the Fishy about fish and chips.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, June 19, 2023, 10:30am; Reply: 88
Quoted from DB
Back in the day, many decades ago, I remember going to the pub with 10 bob (50p to most of you) having 4/5 pints of bitter, losing at cards and going to the chippy for haddock, chips and peas served in newspaper ( nobody died from having fish & chips in newspaper) and having change in my pocket.

My 1st pint in a pub cost me 101/2 old pence ( about 4p in today's money ). Those were the days.

Can anyone else hear the Hovis music playing in the background?
Posted by: AussieMariner, June 19, 2023, 10:34am; Reply: 89
Quoted from 137

The Friday "Special" at Gekko Restaurant, Chiang Mai is c#d and chips - which I haven't tried as the bog-standard fish and chips which is
available all week is decent. I'll have to get back to you about what fish it is though...I haven't bothered to find out (it's not haddock though).

In Aus most battered fish sold as fish and chips is ‘flake’ which is an umbrella term for various types of shark. It also is decent. Sadly tartare is the most common accompaniment. Mushy peas are virtually non existent as are scraps. Part of why I came back to live in the Old Dart.
Posted by: acko338, June 19, 2023, 10:49am; Reply: 90
I bet that Eisa regrets having a photo involving fish and chips, removing any speculation as to his playing abilities or long term fitness levels !!
Posted by: RonMariner, June 19, 2023, 11:30am; Reply: 91
Quoted from MarinerWY

Get out.

Erm…..just asking for a friend…..honest.
Posted by: Son of Cod, June 19, 2023, 11:32am; Reply: 92
Quoted from acko338
I bet that Eisa regrets having a photo involving fish and chips, removing any speculation as to his playing abilities or long term fitness levels !!

I'd say that was an exceptionally astute move, has completely taken focus off his recent injury woes.
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, June 19, 2023, 11:51am; Reply: 93
His PR team need a bonus for sure, excellent move.  Now I'm just waiting for the chants of 'Eisa, whats on your chips, Eisa Eisa whats on your chips' from the ponny whilst he limps up and down the sideline, foot in a moon boot...
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 19, 2023, 2:15pm; Reply: 94
I sometimes get a pickled egg from the chippy and eat it on the way home with my Haddock & Chips (sometimes mushy peas as well).
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, June 19, 2023, 2:48pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
I sometimes get a pickled egg from the chippy and eat it on the way home with my Haddock & Chips (sometimes mushy peas as well).

It's like Anthony Bourdain is in the room with us....
Posted by: DB, June 19, 2023, 5:15pm; Reply: 96

Can anyone else hear the Hovis music playing in the background?

Not forgetting "Capstick comes home"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2AcJSkUw6M
Posted by: supertown, June 19, 2023, 5:19pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from DB

It’s all relative to earnings and cost of living though, probably the equivalent to £50 now .
Posted by: RonMariner, June 20, 2023, 10:02pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from supertown

It’s all relative to earnings and cost of living though, probably the equivalent to £50 now .

Was in London a couple of weeks ago, and paid £8.50 a pint. It’s enough to turn one tea total. Almost.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 20, 2023, 10:54pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from RonMariner

Was in London a couple of weeks ago, and paid £8.50 a pint. It’s enough to turn one tea total. Almost.

I've not paid that much yet!!! Let me know where so I can avoid it!!

and obviously you mean G&T Total
Posted by: lukeo, June 21, 2023, 6:27am; Reply: 100
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
There’s certainly a different class of people in here! The wrong un’s should stick to the seaway and leave the likes of steels and Ernie beckets to the right minded folk.

It’s simple really, haddock, chips and mushy peas with a few scraps on the side. Bread (white) and butter, salt and vinegar, knife and fork and persons choice of beverage. These are the only things that should be present on the table!

I'm sorry I'm a strange human. When I go to steals it's battered sausage, chips and gravy with a side of bread and scraps. I must be the only grimberian that doesn't like fish :(
Posted by: kevikov, June 21, 2023, 7:31am; Reply: 101
I’m confused, I was under the impression Steeles menu had two options only? 1 : Haddock, Chips, Mushy peas, bread n butter and pot of tea. 2 : Go away.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 21, 2023, 7:46am; Reply: 102
Quoted from kevikov
I’m confused, I was under the impression Steeles menu had two options only? 1 : Haddock, Chips, Mushy peas, bread n butter and pot of tea. 2 : Go away.

They look at you and sit you in the posture correction seats if they think you're a troublemaker and going to order something other than haddock and chips.
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, June 21, 2023, 9:46am; Reply: 103
Quoted from lukeo

I'm sorry I'm a strange human. When I go to steals it's battered sausage, chips and gravy with a side of bread and scraps. I must be the only grimberian that doesn't like fish :(

Hand in your season ticket and passport at the dock tower, then it's off to Haile Sands for a few years for you my boy to cool off until you get these daft notions out of your head!
Print page generated: May 9, 2024, 7:01pm