chaos33
June 18, 2023, 8:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Son of Cod
Salt and vinegar on the chips, blob of ketchup on the side. Generous squeeze of lemon on the fish, then smother the whole fish in a layer of tartare sauce followed by a layer of mushy peas. Then you're good to go. No fannying around with any additional mid-meal saucing/seasoning.

Have you gone insane? Load of tartare sauce on the fish?!?!

No fannying about thank you. Plenty of salt  and vinegar.
That’s it.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 103
Son of Cod
June 18, 2023, 10:08am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from chaos33

Have you gone insane? Load of tartare sauce on the fish?!?!

No fannying about thank you. Plenty of salt  and vinegar.
That’s it.

Maybe smother wasn't the correct word, but yeah of course it's going on the fish. I can't be arsed dipping it in every bite, my way is far more efficient.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 103
June 18, 2023, 10:10am
Guest User
One of these days I will be able to open a thread that ACTUALLY discusses what the title says!
Reply: 62 - 103
Limerick Mariner
June 18, 2023, 11:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
I feel the need to confess to something. I sometimes put mint sauce on my mushy peas, with haddock on the same plate, I try to keep the mint sauce away from the haddock, but usually the batter gets cross-contaminated. A total aberration I know, but obviously I only do that in my own home. I was a bit worried at one time because my kids saw me do it, luckily they never mentioned at school and thankfully smart phones and social media weren't around when they were school age. Social services never found out. The kids never talk about it but I expect it will eventually get mentioned at my wake.

It all started at Leeds Uni Students Unions in the autumn of 81, pie and peas and a pint of Tetley bitter for 80p; I saw a student called Liam from Bolton put the mint sauce on the mushy peas. He also liked Echo and the Bunnymen, had an Ian McCulloch hair cut and wore a long green army coat and we became drinking buddies. Its good to be able to talk about it after all this time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 103
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 18, 2023, 1:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,839
Gold Stars: 178
I went out with a girl at uni that liked skate and chips instead.

The laces got stuck in her teeth and the wheels mangled her ar5e beyond recognition

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 103
GollyGTFC
June 18, 2023, 2:18pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,970
Gold Stars: 356
I’m not from Grimsby. My dad is the son of a trawler man, but my dad left Grimsby in 1972. I didn’t really start eating fish until I was around 30, so I don’t have a life time of fish eating experience either. So maybe I’m not qualified to say this, but I’ve lost a lot of respect for some people on here after reading how you eat your Haddock.

I’d rather eat Cod than have Haddock in the way described by some of you.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 65 - 103
wuffing
June 18, 2023, 3:34pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I’m not from Grimsby. My dad is the son of a trawler man, but my dad left Grimsby in 1972. I didn’t really start eating fish until I was around 30, so I don’t have a life time of fish eating experience either. So maybe I’m not qualified to say this, but I’ve lost a lot of respect for some people on here after reading how you eat your Haddock.

I’d rather eat Cod than have Haddock in the way described by some of you.

That's blasphemy speak!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 103
Grantham_Mariner
June 18, 2023, 3:37pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,191
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from wuffing

That's blasphemy speak!

I would never buy him Cod, but I would not let him treat Haddock badly either. Naughty Boy.  

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 103
Mayaman
June 18, 2023, 4:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
I feel the need to confess to something. I sometimes put mint sauce on my mushy peas, with haddock on the same plate, I try to keep the mint sauce away from the haddock, but usually the batter gets cross-contaminated. A total aberration I know, but obviously I only do that in my own home. I was a bit worried at one time because my kids saw me do it, luckily they never mentioned at school and thankfully smart phones and social media weren't around when they were school age. Social services never found out. The kids never talk about it but I expect it will eventually get mentioned at my wake.

It all started at Leeds Uni Students Unions in the autumn of 81, pie and peas and a pint of Tetley bitter for 80p; I saw a student called Liam from Bolton put the mint sauce on the mushy peas. He also liked Echo and the Bunnymen, had an Ian McCulloch hair cut and wore a long green army coat and we became drinking buddies. Its good to be able to talk about it after all this time.

Now I know this is a support group, I'll go next.  My name is Keith and when I was a teen, I used to eat fish cake butties with piccalilli.  I have had extensive counselling and now I am recovering picallilholic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 103
gtfc_chris
June 18, 2023, 5:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
If we’re turning this into confessional then I’ve been reading this thread with interest while holding in something I fear may see me banned from the fishy.

I don’t like fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Abo Eisa

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.