forza ivano
May 13, 2023, 9:55am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,223
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I can see what you’re saying Rich and as ever with these things time will tell.

I still think it’s a positive thing or at least exploring this kind of thing is but I guess I’d have probably just settled for an announcement saying that Jennings is joining as a non exec which when you read it that is essentially what it feels like.

My understanding is that GTFC won’t be his full time job and like many other exec’s has different roles in other organisations as well has his expertise those synergies could turn out to be incredibly valuable.

What I do know is that this shows ambition, though JS, AP  and DC have had good careers and success they by their own admission don’t know how to do it at a football club.

Data capture & analysis is now firmly embedded in the playing side of football, indeed this season we’ve heard a couple of players talk about “levels” which is as much about what a lap top tells them as it is what their body is saying.

So I work in a world where we have a lot of data to measure commercial performance & gather customer insights I can see from being a Town supporter that we’re not where we need to be and there will be much gained commercially if Twenty First Group can help.

Thank you Herts for a sensible post. Jason must feel like he's banging his head against a brick wall, reading some of the Luddite posts on here and elsewhere.
People wondering about the importance of data, well you all use comparison websites for leccy, gas, insurance etc etc - that's data. Remember back in the old days when you had to ring round insurance companies to get quotes, well data brought all that together in 1 space.
How have Brighton, Brentford. Alkmaar, midtjylland and a host of others achieved so much? It's because they been clever in using data

here's an easy to read/understand link, which shows how it impacts on the pitch
https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....alls-data-revolution

it probably isn't going to be cheap advice, but if it improves our commercial offering, if it improves our all round efficiency, if it improves our recruitment, if it improves our awful throw ins, if it improves our injury prevention, if it improves our on field performance then it's worth it.
It's called investment.
In my little business I am about to spend £40 to attend a seminar on Google Analytics. Might be £40 down the drain, but I suspect that I will learn an awful lot and will make my marketing more efficient. And it only has to bring in 1 customer for it to pay for itself. That's investment
Finally if you've got 15 minutes then listen to jason here  https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/1657072183930126348

the final thing I'd say Jason makes the point that no other club at this level is doing this , and the only one he knows about are Plymouth, a small club, who just romped League 1. Just be happy that for once it looks like we are ahead of the curve. Next thing will be that we will be using A.I. before everybody else, but that's a different story...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 75
HertsGTFC
May 13, 2023, 10:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,971
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from forza ivano

Thank you Herts for a sensible post. Jason must feel like he's banging his head against a brick wall, reading some of the Luddite posts on here and elsewhere.
People wondering about the importance of data, well you all use comparison websites for leccy, gas, insurance etc etc - that's data. Remember back in the old days when you had to ring round insurance companies to get quotes, well data brought all that together in 1 space.
How have Brighton, Brentford. Alkmaar, midtjylland and a host of others achieved so much? It's because they been clever in using data

it probably isn't going to be cheap advice, but if it improves our commercial offering, if it improves our all round efficiency, if it improves our recruitment, if it improves our awful throw ins, if it improves our injury prevention, if it improves our on field performance then it's worth it.
It's called investment.
In my little business I am about to spend £40 to attend a seminar on Google Analytics. Might be £40 down the drain, but I suspect that I will learn an awful lot and will make my marketing more efficient. And it only has to bring in 1 customer for it to pay for itself. That's investment
Finally if you've got 15 minutes then listen to jason here  https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/1657072183930126348

the final thing I'd say Jason makes the point that no other club at this level is doing this , and the only one he knows about are Plymouth, a small club, who just romped League 1. Just be happy that for once it looks like we are ahead of the curve. Next thing will be that we will be using A.I. before everybody else, but that's a different story...

I know from experience that will be £40 well spent Forza, Google and particularly Google reviews (when positive) are really useful to any size business and can save lots of unquantifiable marketing & advertising spend.

Jason referenced attracting new investors if we are to attract meaningful investment then we’ll need all the data we can get on and off the pitch as any new investors will need to be sure they’re money is being spent well on the basis of fact.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 75
May 13, 2023, 10:48am
Guest User
Totally agree with forza ivano, who I consider the best poster on this forum, always talks sense.
Reply: 52 - 75
moosey_club
May 13, 2023, 10:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,269
Gold Stars: 226
All for trying new stuff, new ideas, new technology that may help improve the club. Ultimately if the club infrastructure, ethos, finances  improve then so should the very small part we see, which is upto around 50 matchday experiences a season.
Better team performances, better facilities, better customer services etc.

Sorting commercial department is one thing that clearly needs doing, Dave Smith may have been better than his replacement but that doesn't mean he was fulfilling the role either.

Getting in advice on that is a smart move.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 75
RichMariner
May 13, 2023, 12:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,136
Gold Stars: 209
I agree that we shouldn't just ignore data. I agree it's an investment.

Every company uses data in some form. Whether it's open rates, click-throughs, products bought on a Saturday, cars using a certain lane in an inner city ring road... it's great for helping businesses to make decisions.

The way it's used in football is very different because you're recording movements and decisions of people. Football is statistically volatile, unpredictable, very random. Data doesn't give answers, at best it shows trends.

I just think we need to be careful about putting data on this pedestal. It'll likely help, but how much it helps offset against its cost is something I'm yet to understand.

There are some great case studies being mentioned (Brighton, Brentford, Plymouth). Any future success will likely use data, but won't totally rely on it. We've got to be right in many other areas first for it to contribute in the way we hope it will.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 54 - 75
jamesgtfc
May 13, 2023, 12:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,013
Gold Stars: 190
Like any technological advancement, the key is using it effectively. Take AI for example, it is only going to get better but ask ChatGPT to reference what it tells you and the links are often dead or totally irrelevant.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 75
thefish
May 13, 2023, 12:38pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from forza ivano

It's called investment.

Is it any good up top?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 75
forza ivano
May 13, 2023, 1:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,223
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from 123614
Totally agree with forza ivano, who I consider the best poster on this forum, always talks sense.

Thanks dad 🤣🤣🤣🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 75
May 13, 2023, 2:02pm
Guest User
Now you will confuse my son who also posts here.  
Reply: 58 - 75
RonMariner
May 13, 2023, 2:59pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,765
Gold Stars: 226
Yes but when did getting better players and making best use of them ever get you 3 points on a Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Twenty First Group

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.