8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
May 13, 2023, 7:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I suspect we’re not anywhere near top heavy when it comes to non playing football staff but if you compare it to how townnhave been in the past, then yeh, I’m sure it does feel that way.

I know people are still cautious of data and additional coaching staff wtc in football because, as has been said ‘data won’t stop a defender going wandering at the far post’ but in reality, it’s here to stay and the successful teams are using, collecting and applying routines and systems based on data these days…so I guess, if you’re wanting the club to succeed, you don’t have to like it or even understand it but at least acknowledge it’s the sort of thing that will help to keep dragging the club into the 21st century…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 75
The Caterham Mariner
May 13, 2023, 8:52am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +94
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from forza ivano

and you're far, far more likely to see good footie with data analysis, proper recruitment, a professional operation, a holistic outlook rather than Fenty's 'it's my way or the high way'/'Something will turn up' philosophy

Good hope so ..keep it simple for me please
I am still on "Janet & John Books" (Welhome Road Infants)
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 75
HertsGTFC
May 13, 2023, 8:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,971
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from RichMariner
Naturally cynical about football, naturally cautious about the whole world of consultancy - I think that's healthy because we're only trying to protect what we love.

First thing to say is that I think JS and AP have been very open and transparent with us. Would I trust them with my wallet over Fenty? Absolutely. Think they've earned our trust, but they should also never be given a free ride. We've got to keep holding any board or owners to account, I'm sure they get that more than anyone.

That press release, and the Twenty First Group's website, fall a bit short of professionalism considering the standards we're aiming for.

While I broadly get what they'll offer, and I can see how it's an opportunity, no one's mentioned at what cost? These guys can't be cheap, if what they're selling is as transformative as we hope.

Why would Jennings join the board with a CV as heavy as his? What does he stand to gain from this against all the other pies he has fingers in? We look like a drop in the ocean compared to his experience.

I agree with JS when he says only those businesses who invest in data will be successful in 10 years' time. However, there's a weird culture around data in that it's seen as this golden answer to a lot of problems.

Data has been around for donkeys of years, it's just computerised and brought together more efficiently now. Data in football is still driven by someone watching football. Data might help find a player who's skilled and undervalued, but he might not be a good social fit, so there's still stuff to consider away from the spreadsheet before we can get truly excited about its possible success.

Not trying to play a downer on this, I think what they're doing is positive and healthy, but consultancies and data can also be easy cop-outs when things don't work out.

I'm intrigued by this, it seems a step forward — I've still got questions about its merits (and benefits for the Twenty First Group) and its cost to the club — but the proof of the pudding will be in a few years' time and today could end up being one of the best decisions 1878 made for the club and the town.

I can see what you’re saying Rich and as ever with these things time will tell.

I still think it’s a positive thing or at least exploring this kind of thing is but I guess I’d have probably just settled for an announcement saying that Jennings is joining as a non exec which when you read it that is essentially what it feels like.

My understanding is that GTFC won’t be his full time job and like many other exec’s has different roles in other organisations as well has his expertise those synergies could turn out to be incredibly valuable.

What I do know is that this shows ambition, though JS, AP  and DC have had good careers and success they by their own admission don’t know how to do it at a football club.

Data capture & analysis is now firmly embedded in the playing side of football, indeed this season we’ve heard a couple of players talk about “levels” which is as much about what a lap top tells them as it is what their body is saying.

So I work in a world where we have a lot of data to measure commercial performance & gather customer insights I can see from being a Town supporter that we’re not where we need to be and there will be much gained commercially if Twenty First Group can help.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 75
The Caterham Mariner
May 13, 2023, 8:57am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +94
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from aldi_01
I suspect we’re not anywhere near top heavy when it comes to non playing football staff but if you compare it to how townnhave been in the past, then yeh, I’m sure it does feel that way.

I know people are still cautious of data and additional coaching staff wtc in football because, as has been said ‘data won’t stop a defender going wandering at the far post’ but in reality, it’s here to stay and the successful teams are using, collecting and applying routines and systems based on data these days…so I guess, if you’re wanting the club to succeed, you don’t have to like it or even understand it but at least acknowledge it’s the sort of thing that will help to keep dragging the club into the 21st century…

Ok your last sentence sells it to me, to get into 21st century footie .

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 75
It Bites
May 13, 2023, 9:16am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,239
Gold Stars: 265
It could be my age but does this data led approach seem cold and calculated to anyone else . It's not just a Corporation, it's a family football club with , I hope , family values.  Data never tells the full story and as much as I like Spurs I'd hate to see us run in a similar way .............
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 75
Abdul19
May 13, 2023, 9:19am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
Brighton and Brentford still appear to be 'family' football clubs though?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 75
It Bites
May 13, 2023, 9:24am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,239
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Abdul19
Brighton and Brentford still appear to be 'family' football clubs though?

That's true
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 75
HatTrickHero
May 13, 2023, 9:27am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Grimsby2012
1878 and now the 21st group.

It'll be the 69s next.

Now that would be a Sham
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 75
ska face
May 13, 2023, 9:28am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,717
Gold Stars: 850
Quoted from It Bites
It could be my age but does this data led approach seem cold and calculated to anyone else . It's not just a Corporation, it's a family football club with , I hope , family values.  Data never tells the full story and as much as I like Spurs I'd hate to see us run in a similar way .............

Weren’t we run as a “family football club” over the past two decades, where the person most qualified to be CEO just happened to be the son of the former club secretary? And the best way to sell off the old floodlights was through a small auction house owned by the owner’s brother (I think)?

If nothing else, it’s a move away from the “jobs for the boys” culture that saw us plummet out of the league twice and rattling buckets to pay tax bills.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 75
ginnywings
May 13, 2023, 9:34am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,152
Gold Stars: 548
Get em down the dock and running on the sand dunes. Don't need any of this fancy 'puter nonsense.

Seriously though, this can only be a good thing surely, despite what some of the Luddites may think.

There is an article on the BBC website about AZ Alkmaar and their ability to compete with the giants of Dutch football despite having a fraction of the income. They even have Billy Beane on board. He's the originator of the system in American football.

The basic premise is that despite the size and wealth of your club, it ultimately boils down to 11 v 11 on the pitch, and the smaller clubs can upset the bigger ones with planning and application. We see it in cup games all the time, so it's about taking that a step further and competing on a weekly basis.

I'm all for it and it's so far removed from what we have been used to, it's mind boggling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Twenty First Group

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.