Heisenberg
May 12, 2023, 8:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,085
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from GrimRob

They might be able to tell you what the ROI of a new main stand would be and where it ranks in the many ways we have of spending money.

They need to forget about analysing ROI, the main stand is made of 100 year old wood, for goodness sake!! It needs replacing, and the fact there will be no economic benefit has to be accepted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 75
lew chaterleys lover
May 12, 2023, 8:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,740
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 140381

Yes, I also miss the days of plain speaking and the “laser like” straight-to-the-point language of the prior regime.

Nobody, and I mean nobody was a fiercer critic of Fenty than me, often at the time swimming against the tide of Fishy opinion. However we have to move on from that if any point made about 1878 is seen as being as a direct comparison to how Fenty handled things.

I am merely musing that we seem to hear a lot about the current buzzwords of sustainability and data and B Corp accreditation and so on but very little about concrete plans to improve the ticketing, or the capacity or a whole host of things that need looking at.

If it turns out that this latest initiative (which isn't coming cheap by the sounds of it in an interview given to Matt Dean) is just the right thing to do and will be a catalyst for improvements yet to come then I needn't have worried, but I am not 100% convinced it is necessary at this stage. Stockwood believes in it which is fair enough but it is worth discussing.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 75
jamesgtfc
May 12, 2023, 8:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,013
Gold Stars: 190
As Poojah alluded to, we are a naturally sceptical bunch after our previous experience of experts such as Extreme Leisure. Not listened to tonights interview yet but will be doing. My initial thoughts are, what has he been hired to do for the UAE top flight and why is their website a bit suspect? CodAlmighty uncovered their webpage about their MD in Latin, which is a bit of a clanger for a professional organisation to drop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 75
aldi_01
May 12, 2023, 9:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

Nobody, and I mean nobody was a fiercer critic of Fenty than me, often at the time swimming against the tide of Fishy opinion. However we have to move on from that if any point made about 1878 is seen as being as a direct comparison to how Fenty handled things.

I am merely musing that we seem to hear a lot about the current buzzwords of sustainability and data and B Corp accreditation and so on but very little about concrete plans to improve the ticketing, or the capacity or a whole host of things that need looking at.

If it turns out that this latest initiative (which isn't coming cheap by the sounds of it in an interview given to Matt Dean) is just the right thing to do and will be a catalyst for improvements yet to come then I needn't have worried, but I am not 100% convinced it is necessary at this stage. Stockwood believes in it which is fair enough but it is worth discussing.

May be it’s because unlike Fenty and the morons around him, these guys actually know the buzz words and what they mean…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 75
ska face
May 12, 2023, 9:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,717
Gold Stars: 850
H8 buzzwords and the gardian, luv to kick it in the goal and 4-4-2, pint off bitter and a egg on toast 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧👍 #antiwoke
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 75
RichMariner
May 12, 2023, 10:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,137
Gold Stars: 209
Naturally cynical about football, naturally cautious about the whole world of consultancy - I think that's healthy because we're only trying to protect what we love.

First thing to say is that I think JS and AP have been very open and transparent with us. Would I trust them with my wallet over Fenty? Absolutely. Think they've earned our trust, but they should also never be given a free ride. We've got to keep holding any board or owners to account, I'm sure they get that more than anyone.

That press release, and the Twenty First Group's website, fall a bit short of professionalism considering the standards we're aiming for.

While I broadly get what they'll offer, and I can see how it's an opportunity, no one's mentioned at what cost? These guys can't be cheap, if what they're selling is as transformative as we hope.

Why would Jennings join the board with a CV as heavy as his? What does he stand to gain from this against all the other pies he has fingers in? We look like a drop in the ocean compared to his experience.

I agree with JS when he says only those businesses who invest in data will be successful in 10 years' time. However, there's a weird culture around data in that it's seen as this golden answer to a lot of problems.

Data has been around for donkeys of years, it's just computerised and brought together more efficiently now. Data in football is still driven by someone watching football. Data might help find a player who's skilled and undervalued, but he might not be a good social fit, so there's still stuff to consider away from the spreadsheet before we can get truly excited about its possible success.

Not trying to play a downer on this, I think what they're doing is positive and healthy, but consultancies and data can also be easy cop-outs when things don't work out.

I'm intrigued by this, it seems a step forward — I've still got questions about its merits (and benefits for the Twenty First Group) and its cost to the club — but the proof of the pudding will be in a few years' time and today could end up being one of the best decisions 1878 made for the club and the town.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 75
arryarryarry
May 12, 2023, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,033
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from forza ivano

and you're far, far more likely to see good footie with data analysis, proper recruitment, a professional operation, a holistic outlook rather than Fenty's 'it's my way or the high way'/'Something will turn up' philosophy

We already have 2 Heads of Recruitment, and who currently is using the data we get from the little machines on the back of the players?

For a club the size of Grimsby we are looking top heavy in the non playing side of the club, and it would be interesting to compare us to the likes of Stevenage who were transformed from a relegation favourite to getting promotion in one season.

At the end of the day you can have all the data in the world but that won't help when Efete goes missing at the far post.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 75
May 12, 2023, 10:32pm
Guest User

Lew, I know. My comments were directed at the helmets on twitter.
Reply: 37 - 75
forza ivano
May 12, 2023, 10:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,223
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from arryarryarry

We already have 2 Heads of Recruitment, and who currently is using the data we get from the little machines on the back of the players?

For a club the size of Grimsby we are looking top heavy in the non playing side of the club, and it would be interesting to compare us to the likes of Stevenage who were transformed from a relegation favourite to getting promotion in one season.

At the end of the day you can have all the data in the world but that won't help when Efete goes missing at the far post.

NO, there are not 2 heads of recruitment. As far as I can tell 1 looks at future targets, the other looks at data concerning the current players.

'For a club the size of Grimsby we are looking top heavy in the non playing side of the club' Please provide evidence for your assertion

Compared to Fenty, yes we are probably top heavy but compared to Wycombe, Lincoln, Luton,Stockport, Rotherham, Wrexham, Peterborough etc I suspect not
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 75
grimps
May 13, 2023, 6:28am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,133
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from diehardmariner
It's like corporate buzzword Bingo in those statements...

That said, it seems a progressive move forward.  This page is quite interesting on their website https://www.twentyfirstgroup.com/impact/ I think some of the examples and a bit ambiguous for my liking.  Lots of actions and suggestions, but limited or at best loose 'impacts'.  But a few nuggets in there all the same.

I’ve not read it but I’m guessing ‘ Sustainable’ and ‘ diverse ‘ would have been mentioned ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Twenty First Group

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.