7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Grantham_Mariner
May 15, 2023, 6:16pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,191
Gold Stars: 51
I wonder if all the wood was removed from the Main Stand that a stand (Mecano) could be built over the brick built bit at the back.??????

N.B. I an not a Civil Engineer or an Architect.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 69
TownSNAFU5
May 17, 2023, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
I don’t think that the Barratt Stand was built by a civil engineer or architect either.  Rumour has it that when it was demolished in the early 80s it was found that there was no foundations.  The weight of the stand (and fans) kept it stable.

(Still remember that my dad sold matches and chocolates in the Barratt (a wooden stand of course) to the many smokers.  This was from 1931 in the glory years.

Health and safety has moved on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 69
White_shorts
June 26, 2023, 6:25pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
If we had a new stadium there would be no seating issues.  Just saying.

Exactly.  Doncaster's Keepmoat has 4,000 seats with unrestricted views on both sides of the pitch.  Blundell Park's Upper has 2,000 seats, and naturally most people want to sit there.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 69
Poojah
June 26, 2023, 6:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,588
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from White_shorts

Exactly.  Doncaster's Keepmoat has 4,000 seats with unrestricted views on both sides of the pitch.  Blundell Park's Upper has 2,000 seats, and naturally most people want to sit there.

Ok, I’ll overlook your bizarre posting habits and put to you this simple question. How much do you think an adequate new stadium for Town would cost, and how do you suppose we fund its construction?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 69
Jackal
June 26, 2023, 7:01pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +211
Gold Stars: 15
Obviously money is the big issue before any new stadium can be built so no idea if it will ever happen but I’ve recently been to a stadium which would suit town very well.

I was invited to watch between St Helens and Wigan at the Totally Wicked stadium in St Helens.
While watching the guys with odd shaped balls knock the crap out of each other all I kept thinking was this would be perfect stadium for town.

It’s capacity is 18000 but take a few thousand off that for football as they have standing terraces at each end.

The atmosphere and acoustics are fabulous. The Mariners roar would be deafening.

Total cost £25m at the time so maybe with inflation beyond our reach but look it up and see what you think,  

We can dream UTM .  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 69
Poojah
June 26, 2023, 7:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Jackal
Obviously money is the big issue before any new stadium can be built so no idea if it will ever happen but I’ve recently been to a stadium which would suit town very well.

I was invited to watch between St Helens and Wigan at the Totally Wicked stadium in St Helens.
While watching the guys with odd shaped balls knock the crap out of each other all I kept thinking was this would be perfect stadium for town.

It’s capacity is 18000 but take a few thousand off that for football as they have standing terraces at each end.

The atmosphere and acoustics are fabulous. The Mariners roar would be deafening.

Total cost £25m at the time so maybe with inflation beyond our reach but look it up and see what you think,  

We can dream UTM .  

It's a decent enough stadium, I'll give you that, but £25m in 2011 is probably close to £50m now given the huge inflation in key construction materials. Not that you'd be able to finance a substantial chunk of it through borrowing, but the cost of any borrowing we might what to do is already 5x higher than it would have been back then.

We should never say never, but there is simply no viable way of GTFC funding a new stadium in the shape we are in today and the macro economic climate as it is. I saw a quote from JS the other day saying they won't talk about anything they are not in a position to deliver; there's a difference between not wanting to do something and not being able to.

It's a conversation we can park for the time being.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 69
heppy88
June 26, 2023, 7:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Jackal

We can dream UTM .  

Judging by Google images it's a great looking stadium. I see it was built in 2012 so I dread to think what something like that would cost today. I just cannot see how we can stay at Blundell Park indefinitely. But, as Poojah points out, where is the thirty plus million coming from, to pay for the stadium? Unless a very wealthy benefactor comes along, I fear GTFC have missed that boat!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 69
TheRealJohnLewis
June 26, 2023, 7:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Poojah

It's a decent enough stadium, I'll give you that, but £25m in 2011 is probably close to £50m now given the huge inflation in key construction materials. Not that you'd be able to finance a substantial chunk of it through borrowing, but the cost of any borrowing we might what to do is already 5x higher than it would have been back then.

We should never say never, but there is simply no viable way of GTFC funding a new stadium in the shape we are in today and the macro economic climate as it is. I saw a quote from JS the other day saying they won't talk about anything they are not in a position to deliver; there's a difference between not wanting to do something and not being able to.

It's a conversation we can park for the time being.

£40.2M

https://www.hl.co.uk/tools/calculators/inflation-calculator
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 69
Poojah
June 26, 2023, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

That’s just “general” inflation though. The cost of fundamental construction materials has risen at a much steeper rate - we’d almost certainly be closer to £50m than £40m. And I say that regrettably; I’d love a new ground for Town.

[img]https://www.base-4.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Construction-Materials-Prices.jpg[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 69
Jackal
June 26, 2023, 7:42pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +211
Gold Stars: 15
I agree with all the comments as they are facts and my post wasn’t to be flippant over cost, as I said we can dream.

There is a more serious point though . Blundell Park at some point has to be refurbished or demolished.
If the club is to be sustainable it has to be ambitious in its approach regarding a new ground or it will inevitably have rein in its long term ambitions. The costs won’t get cheaper.

I don’t have the answers but maybe it is as commented above just a benefactor,  or perhaps corporate contributions plus a hotel plus retail plus a benefactor etc etc  
Grimsby has too many supermarkets but as a reference Tesco contributed to the St Helens ground and that resulted in an estimated £5M less cost to the club (So £20m).

The clubs finances can’t justify the spend I’m sure but as the saying goes build it and they will come.
Corporate revenues at St Helen’s dramatically increased after the new stadium opened.

I did ask a lot of questions of my hosts and their core supporter base was only slightly over Grimsby’s but bear in mind St Helens is a deprived area too.  The increase in attendance and corporate revenues was above their best expectations.

People and business are attracted to a good stadium with a good news story of a club,

Like I said I don’t have the answers but there are many ways to get to the destination.
I’m confident our present owners have far more constructive ideas than me.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › DN35 Jason and Andrew Interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.