rancido
May 12, 2023, 12:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,568
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree completely when I said "genius idea" I was being sarcastic, it's bonkers and I'd be amazed if we took a step to p1ss off season ticket holders.

I guessed you were being 'flippant' but it wouldn't surprise me if someone genuinely suggested it.
The whole situation regarding seats available or sold and non-attendees is a very complex one to resolve to everyone's satisfaction.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 69
TownSNAFU5
May 12, 2023, 1:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
If we had a new stadium there would be no seating issues.  Just saying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 69
diehardmariner
May 12, 2023, 1:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,622
Gold Stars: 539
We're not getting one though, regardless of how much it would benefit (or how much I agree with you).

In the current climate we simply can't afford one, as has been detailed to death on here previously.  It pains me, but it is what it is.  We therefore need to maximise what we've got in front of us.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 69
Yarborough Vaults
May 12, 2023, 1:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
All the solutions I've read on here are carrots to please STHs who don't turn up.

As in life, a stick element may help too.

Miss six games a season and you can't renew that particular seat at an early bird price so it is released into the system.

Could stop the hoggers.

Also if people want to buy a seat to help the club but have no intention to attend, why not let them have restricted view seats at a cut price. Everyone happy as the prime seats now freed up while the non attendee has a season card and knowledge of an actual seat at ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 69
diehardmariner
May 12, 2023, 2:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Interesting approach.  Bit of carrot and stick in it.  We've got to be careful that we don't turn fans away with too harsh a stick.  If we have a shitty season and come November we're bottom of the table and no-one wants to watch us, the club would be grateful of that £30k that came in through the door in the summer months.  

I'd personally think something a bit less stick and a bit more carrot could work.  As per your idea, attendance or released into the system for X % of games = Early Bird Discount or similar.  Or for every game you do attend/release ticket for you get a chunk of the Early Bird reduction.  Tiered approach to it:

50% or less attended/released = 50% of the maximum discount...

I think 100% = 100% is probably a bit harsh though. Be unfair to stop someone getting maximum discount because of one/two games of unfortunate circumstances/sudden illness.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 69
arryarryarry
May 12, 2023, 2:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults
All the solutions I've read on here are carrots to please STHs who don't turn up.

Miss six games a season and you can't renew that particular seat at an early bird price so it is released into the system.

Could stop the hoggers.

Also if people want to buy a seat to help the club but have no intention to attend, why not let them have restricted view seats at a cut price. Everyone happy as the prime seats now freed up while the non attendee has a season card and knowledge of an actual seat at ground.

Bollox answer.

I have a mate who has had a season ticket for years but probably only makes half the games as he lives and works down south.

If he has paid for his seat in advance he should have access to it when ever he likes.

If the club said he could only have access to a limited view he would tell the club to go fuk themselves.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 69
Poojah
May 12, 2023, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,550
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

Could stop the hoggers.

Again though, the situation is more nuanced than that. As someone who lives a three-hour round trip away from BP, I do tend to miss somewhere in the region of 6 games per season. Typically mid-week games if my work commitments don't allow, and the occasional Saturday game when I might have other family commitments.

That's been the case for about 20 years, and until very recently it's not been a problem. To the contrary in fact; though I have bought a season ticket for a few reasons, such as convenience, the ability to get hold of away tickets for the odd local derby and in the rare event of a big cup draw, the number one reason was to help support the club. That was certainly the only reason I bought one for the 20/21 season, when it always seemed as though actually getting to a game would be a virtual impossibility.

There will be plenty of others like me who don't fit the broad description of "hogger". The stick approach would be harsh on too many long-term, loyal fans for it to ever get a good reception imo, so that basically leaves us with the carrot. A £5 credit to spend in the ground on matchdays in return for handing your seat back (perhaps an extra quid if you do it a week or more in advance), assuming it is resold at full price AND a certain threshold is also met in terms of ticket sales (e.g. 90% of non-ST capacity). Assuming on average the club makes a profit of £12 (factoring in concessions), that would have been another £12,000 in the coffers on Monday.

There's an argument that fans should be prepared to hand their seat back for free, as is the case right now, but I think that's a naive view. People are busy, the system is clunky and the lack of a motivating factor is likely to mean that more people don't bother, than do. I released my seat for the original Carlisle game back in August last year, as I was abroad at the time. When it was rearranged I was told my ST would be good for the new date, only to find my ticket had been invalidated when I arrived at the turnstiles. By the time I managed to get things resolved in the ticket office, we were 2-0 down.

Give people a motivation. Make things easy. No one suffers. Everybody wins.

I don't think it's much more complicated than that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 69
diehardmariner
May 12, 2023, 2:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Again though, the situation is more nuanced than that. As someone who lives a three-hour round trip away from BP, I do tend to miss somewhere in the region of 6 games per season. Typically mid-week games if my work commitments don't allow, and the occasional Saturday game when I might have other family commitments.

That's been the case for about 20 years, and until very recently it's not been a problem. To the contrary in fact; though I have bought a season ticket for a few reasons, such as convenience, the ability to get hold of away tickets for the odd local derby and in the rare event of a big cup draw, the number one reason was to help support the club. That was certainly the only reason I bought one for the 20/21 season, when it always seemed as though actually getting to a game would be a virtual impossibility.

There will be plenty of others like me who don't fit the broad description of "hogger". The stick approach would be harsh on too many long-term, loyal fans for it to ever get a good reception imo, so that basically leaves us with the carrot. A £5 credit to spend in the ground on matchdays in return for handing your seat back (perhaps an extra quid if you do it a week or more in advance), assuming it is resold at full price AND a certain threshold is also met in terms of ticket sales (e.g. 90% of non-ST capacity). Assuming on average the club makes a profit of £12 (factoring in concessions), that would have been another £12,000 in the coffers on Monday.

There's an argument that fans should be prepared to hand their seat back for free, as is the case right now, but I think that's a naive view. People are busy, the system is clunky and the lack of a motivating factor is likely to mean that more people don't bother, than do. I released my seat for the original Carlisle game back in August last year, as I was abroad at the time. When it was rearranged I was told my ST would be good for the new date, only to find my ticket had been invalidated when I arrived at the turnstiles. By the time I managed to get things resolved in the ticket office, we were 2-0 down.

Give people a motivation. Make things easy. No one suffers. Everybody wins.

I don't think it's much more complicated than that.

Impossible to argue with any of that.

If I'm being honest and brutally so with it, it feels a bit like the club are just being a bit lazy and complacent with the whole issue.  Regardless of how deep they bury their heads in the sad, the issue remains and will remain for as long as there's appetite.  The example you mention of you basically getting copulated over because you did the 'right' thing in the first place sums it up, sloppy.

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 69
Poojah
May 12, 2023, 2:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,550
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from diehardmariner

Impossible to argue with any of that.

If I'm being honest and brutally so with it, it feels a bit like the club are just being a bit lazy and complacent with the whole issue.  Regardless of how deep they bury their heads in the sad, the issue remains and will remain for as long as there's appetite.  The example you mention of you basically getting copulated over because you did the 'right' thing in the first place sums it up, sloppy.

100%. I think there’s likely a technical challenge in that our ticketing platform is far from best in class, so automating something akin to what I outlined might be trickier in practice than is immediately obvious. But ultimately, other clubs do similar things - it most certainly is at an impossibility.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 69
It Bites
May 12, 2023, 2:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,193
Gold Stars: 265
Oh to have Fenty back and the days where  you could just walk up at 5 to 3 and grab an unrestricted seat 🙏🙏
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › DN35 Jason and Andrew Interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.