Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Ska Face Summer rumour/transfer thread
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The Ska Face Summer rumour/transfer thread

This thread currently has 713,859 views. Print
402 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
April 30, 2023, 2:29pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,047
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from GtfcGarner

Because good players command good fees and clubs realise this? It's not a bad thing, we all would love to see Harry to stay and beat John McDermott's appearance record but usually if you are a brilliant player a better team comes knocking with a better financial package which most players can't turn down. Look at Dean Lewington at franchise scum, been there for donkeys years but just a steady Eddie who will give you atleast a 6/10 every week and probably not be too inconsistent but not spectacular and they are happy to renew his contract every year but them sort of players aren't sought after.

It's a choice he will have all summer to think about it and no doubt we will have interest in him but ultimately its what Harry wants to do, I think he's recently just bought a house and is really settled but if a Sheff Wednesday came knocking for 250k and he doubles his wages to maybe £3000-4000 a week on a 2-3 year deal it's a staggering amount of money to a young man that may set him up financially for the next few years and possibly pay off his mortgage before reaching 30.

Whatever happens, I'm glad myself we've seen an academy product come through and push on like he has and wouldn't mind it being a business model we can adapt to as it always gives me that little bit more pride when it's one of your own that scores the winner or that is doing very well. A bit like Khouri bursting out towards the close end of this season, I know he's not Grimsby born and bred but all the same, ala Braithwaite aswell.

We can't cope financially with the Bradford's, Salford, Wrexham, Stockport. Mansfield, Northampton, Gillingham most recently but it's looking likely that we may only have Wrexham, Mansfield, Gillingham and maybe one of the others go up via the play-offs. With looking what is coming down from League One next year, Veggies always have had a good budget since Dale Vince took over them but I think most of their promotion winning squad got absolutely butchered trying to stay in League One and we've seen what's happened to the relegated teams from L1 last year: Gillingham, AFC Wimbledon, Crewe, Donny, all bottom half. We are looking at the following 3 of the 4 teams joining them: Accrington, Cambridge, Morecambe and Franchise Scum. Only one budget in there which I think will be significantly bigger than ours and I think we would triumph a season budget over the other 3 maybe be level with Cambridge at a push.

I think it showed yesterday watching Stevenage that you don't have to be incredible to get promoted out of this league, they looked like they had midfielders who could pass a football and do the physical side that goes with it, dig in when it matters. A mixture of strength, pace and height with a mix of experience in the middle of the park is key to getting out this league. I really just hope we recruit well this summer as it's our best chance since the play-off final against Cheltenham to really crack and push on. We can mop up all the local talent with a promotion and be fighting it out with Lincoln as the #1 club to be at in Lincolnshire and surrounding areas.

We are all ready for a break including the players now, I think Paul's mind is made up that he's got a certain amount of players fixed here next year but the one's who are out of contract - can he get better through the door in the summer?

Northampton don’t have a huge budget. It’s a myth invented by some Town fans disappointed that Ben Fox chose to go there last summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 140 - 4018
ska face
April 30, 2023, 2:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,760
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Northampton don’t have a huge budget. It’s a myth invented by some Town fans disappointed that Ben Fox chose to go there last summer.

One of the town reporters (probably Tondeur, maybe Matt Dean) mentioned recently that Fox had told them personally he’d been offered “stupid money” by Northampton.
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 4018
GollyGTFC
April 30, 2023, 2:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face

One of the town reporters (probably Tondeur, maybe Matt Dean) mentioned recently that Fox had told them personally he’d been offered “stupid money” by Northampton.

That isn’t backed up by Northampton Town’s recent annual accounts. Their wage bill isn’t significantly higher than ours with them bouncing between L1 & L2.

Fox was one of our lower paid players last season. He was a basically washed up because of injuries and in last chance saloon with he joined us. He was offered a sizeable pay rise by GTFC (I was told over 50% increase) last summer, but we went to NTFC who paid just over double what he was on in the NL for us.

We have multiple players being paid more than Ben Fox is on at NTFC. If Northampton Town we’re awash with money I think they’d probably finally finish building that half built stand.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 142 - 4018
GtfcGarner
April 30, 2023, 3:47pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Bigger than ours. Fox went for more money and I doubt that Danny Hylton, Hoskins and Guthrie are on peanuts either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 4018
GollyGTFC
April 30, 2023, 4:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GtfcGarner

Bigger than ours. Fox went for more money and I doubt that Danny Hylton, Hoskins and Guthrie are on peanuts either.

Why would Sam Hoskins be on huge money? He only had his first double figure goal return last season & 20 goal season this term.

His next contract will be a decent pay rise. He has a year remaining on a deal he signed in February 2022, so it will be interesting to see if he signs an improved contract at NTFC in L1 (if they get promoted) over the summer or he forces his way out to cash in on the success he's had since signing his current contract.

Northampton Town had total staffing costs (playing and non-playing) of a smidge over £3.8m in 2021/22 season when they finished 4th in L2 and lost in the play-offs with the club losing £150,000 during the financial year.

We, as a National League club, had staffing costs of just over £3m and made a loss of over £900,000.

Northampton clearly aren't a bankrolled club offering incredible wages. They're run fairly prudently.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 144 - 4018
GtfcGarner
April 30, 2023, 4:22pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Why would Sam Hoskins be on huge money? He only had his first double figure goal return last season & 20 goal season this term.

His next contract will be a decent pay rise. He has a year remaining on a deal he signed in February 2022, so it will be interesting to see if he signs an improved contract at NTFC in L1 (if they get promoted) over the summer or he forces his way out to cash in on the success he's had since signing his current contract.

Northampton Town had total staffing costs (playing and non-playing) of a smidge over £3.8m in 2021/22 season when they finished 4th in L2 and lost in the play-offs with the club losing £150,000 during the financial year.

We, as a National League club, had staffing costs of just over £3m and made a loss of over £900,000.

Northampton clearly aren't a bankrolled club offering incredible wages. They're run fairly prudently.

Where did I say they was bankrolled? I was clearly stating teams who will probably have a higher budget than ours next season. Hoskins has been used as an attacking winger for Northampton most seasons barring this/last. Just stating that I don't think we would of been able to attract the likes of Hylton to our club as don't think we would pay them wages.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 4018
MuddyWaters
April 30, 2023, 4:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from GollyGTFC

That isn’t backed up by Northampton Town’s recent annual accounts. Their wage bill isn’t significantly higher than ours with them bouncing between L1 & L2.

Fox was one of our lower paid players last season. He was a basically washed up because of injuries and in last chance saloon with he joined us. He was offered a sizeable pay rise by GTFC (I was told over 50% increase) last summer, but we went to NTFC who paid just over double what he was on in the NL for us.

We have multiple players being paid more than Ben Fox is on at NTFC. If Northampton Town we’re awash with money I think they’d probably finally finish building that half built stand.

I’m staggered that you can assess Ben Fox’s wages from a set of accounts for a financial period which ended before he even played for them.
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 4018
GollyGTFC
April 30, 2023, 4:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GtfcGarner

Where did I say they was bankrolled? I was clearly stating teams who will probably have a higher budget than ours next season. Hoskins has been used as an attacking winger for Northampton most seasons barring this/last. Just stating that I don't think we would of been able to attract the likes of Hylton to our club as don't think we would pay them wages.

You listed clubs we "couldn't cope" with the financially despite more than one of those clubs having comparable turnover and wage bills when you factor in we were a NL club and all those clubs were in at least L2 during the period the most recent accounts were from.

The reality is that the advantage Northampton (and others) have over use is a mixture of location (which we can't do anything about), recent success (19 years and counting since we've been in L1), turnover maximization (something we were and still are miles behind with) and working facilities (the state of our training ground & home stadium compared to other clubs).
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 147 - 4018
forza ivano
April 30, 2023, 8:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,276
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from lukeo

He's signing for Wrexham then? 😄

do you know, that's not out of the realms of possibility
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 4018
GollyGTFC
May 1, 2023, 6:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m staggered that you can assess Ben Fox’s wages from a set of accounts for a financial period which ended before he even played for them.

So you think Northampton suddenly started spaffing loads of cash last summer under the same owners who have run a steady ship over the past few years.

Clearly barmy as they would have signed a top EFL midfielder rather than an injury prone NL midfielder who only managed to start half of his team’s league matches the previous season.

I know it’s hard for some of you to accept. Fox moved on because he preferred to join Northampton than stay at Grimsby. It wasn’t because Northampton came in and offered silly money.

And if Northampton’s owners had cash to splash the first thing they would do is finish that new stand that’s been sat half built for years. When finished it will generate significant additional turnover for them from executive match day sales and non match day activities.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 149 - 4018
402 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Ska Face Summer rumour/transfer thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.