April 13, 2023, 12:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,449
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Poojah

Fair enough, consider myself corrected!

Tbf they have got a good fanbase , was dissapointed to not make it to their new little ground and quite looking forward to that last game of the season against them .

Gillingham seem to have gone scatter gun throwing money all over the place to ,new owners i believe -whether that will continue who knows .
Salford are losing 70k a week or whatever to going silly .FGR is an interesting one , maybe veggie man is not investing as much now , realising 3-4mil of bean sprouts is a better investment than trying to survive in league 1 .
Donny are apparently going to have 'substantial funds 'injected in to the playing budget to ,their fans seem slightly dubious though so wait and see on that one .
Mansfield throw loads at it

And no doubt many more besides

Maybe we should get our coats

Or try and go right through GY style
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
Posh Harry
April 13, 2023, 12:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,371
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from RichMariner
Clubs like Wrexham create problems for others, but that doesn't fit the narrative of the media, who just want to sell the story of rags to riches.

I watched Welcome to Wrexham. I kind of like (and admire) McElhenney; I think he gets it. He's absorbed by sport, and just wants something to be passionate about. I don't get Reynolds, though. Cynically, I think he's in it for different reasons.

But, for all the good intentions they have - buying back the stadium, redeveloping the kop, investing £££ in helping them get out that league, promoting the club in the community, raising aspirations in the town... it's admirable, but through the sheer amount of money they're spending to do this - and do it as quickly as possible - it's forcing other clubs at that level to spend more, just in the hope that they can compete.

I reckon most teams in the top half of the NL are spending beyond what they can afford. I reckon most teams in the bottom half know they can't compete at the top but are still spending more than they can afford to simply battle against relegation since 'bigger' teams are being squeezed down the league by the big spenders.

It's a worrying knock-on effect. Clubs might not go bust today, but they might in the near future. By that time, Wrexham could be in L1 or the Championship, long gone. But the trail of destruction they leave in their wake will be felt by others for a long time to come.

Football has changed so much in the past couple of decades. It's in such a position that I genuinely think Scunny will struggle to ever get back to L2. Unless they find another sugar daddy.

We got back into the FL at just the right time. Your Accringtons, Morecambes, etc - those small clubs who have done remarkably well to reach L1 - will start to filter back down. Big spenders (over-spenders) will continue to climb.

The only hope we have of progressing up the leagues is by continuing to operate sensibly and sustainably, and watch other big clubs fall on hard times when their benefactors start to pull out. The likes of Bolton, Coventry and Portsmouth have all fallen into this league in recent times. More will probably follow.

Their bad stewardship may help nudge us up the league ladder one rung at a time, but we still have to do our bit and not get involved in paying silly wages to players. That might mean we never built a title-winning squad, so we'll have to find other, cleverer, ways to grow - and that's where I think the value of JS and AP comes in.

And there in lies the problem we will have, at least in the short term. JS and AP have said that the cup monies will go into the playing budget, but we are not going to get to the QF every year and so can that budget be sustainable? The expectations of the fan base is now higher because more budget should mean better players and looking up rather than down, but us, the fan base, have to realistic about next season and beyond imo. I don’t have an answer, I’m not even sure I have asked a question, but I at least believe we have the right owners to do things in a sustainable way, shirt, medium and longer term.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
Mappers
April 13, 2023, 12:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
Clubs like Wrexham create problems for others, but that doesn't fit the narrative of the media, who just want to sell the story of rags to riches.

I watched Welcome to Wrexham. I kind of like (and admire) McElhenney; I think he gets it. He's absorbed by sport, and just wants something to be passionate about. I don't get Reynolds, though. Cynically, I think he's in it for different reasons.

But, for all the good intentions they have - buying back the stadium, redeveloping the kop, investing £££ in helping them get out that league, promoting the club in the community, raising aspirations in the town... it's admirable, but through the sheer amount of money they're spending to do this - and do it as quickly as possible - it's forcing other clubs at that level to spend more, just in the hope that they can compete.

I reckon most teams in the top half of the NL are spending beyond what they can afford. I reckon most teams in the bottom half know they can't compete at the top but are still spending more than they can afford to simply battle against relegation since 'bigger' teams are being squeezed down the league by the big spenders.

It's a worrying knock-on effect. Clubs might not go bust today, but they might in the near future. By that time, Wrexham could be in L1 or the Championship, long gone. But the trail of destruction they leave in their wake will be felt by others for a long time to come.

Football has changed so much in the past couple of decades. It's in such a position that I genuinely think Scunny will struggle to ever get back to L2. Unless they find another sugar daddy.

We got back into the FL at just the right time. Your Accringtons, Morecambes, etc - those small clubs who have done remarkably well to reach L1 - will start to filter back down. Big spenders (over-spenders) will continue to climb.

The only hope we have of progressing up the leagues is by continuing to operate sensibly and sustainably, and watch other big clubs fall on hard times when their benefactors start to pull out. The likes of Bolton, Coventry and Portsmouth have all fallen into this league in recent times. More will probably follow.

Their bad stewardship may help nudge us up the league ladder one rung at a time, but we still have to do our bit and not get involved in paying silly wages to players. That might mean we never built a title-winning squad, so we'll have to find other, cleverer, ways to grow - and that's where I think the value of JS and AP comes in.

Great post Rich Mariner and echoes much of my thoughts
You just missed out the cherry ......
'Could be the next Scunthorpe utd '
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
Maringer
April 13, 2023, 12:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Posh Harry

Are we still talking about mullin or moved onto Reynolds?

Reynolds is a better actor than Mullin, but every one of his roles is a variation of the same character.

Mullin's acting is similarly single-minded - get into a position to fall over and then fall over. He's also a decent striker, of course, when he's not busy falling over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
Poojah
April 13, 2023, 12:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,742
Gold Stars: 1,509
Regards Wrexham’s effect on the wider game at the lower levels, they’re part of the problem of course, but I’m not sure it’s a big part.

Football has always been a meritocracy, and it’s always been built on capitalist principles. However, in the last 30 years it’s been distorted by a the compound effect of television and the globalisation of the game. Club incomes used to be vaguely proportionate to the size of their fan base and gates, but the further up the pyramid you go the less those factors correlate, or at least the less those correlations matter, such is the scale of incomes away from match days.

Naturally, that’s created an environment where clubs stretch beyond their means in order to climb the leagues and reach the financial holy grail that is the Premier League. There’s more than enough money in football, it’s just not proportionately distributed, which leads clubs of levels of inorganic expenditure in order to succeed or at least compete.

That’s a much bigger and far more nuanced and complex problem than Wrexham, who in fairness have created a model which is sustainable to a certain point. They’ve just created a left-field source of income that other clubs simply do not have. It’s clever, whether you like it or not, and I suspect is the brain child not of Rob McElhenney or Ryan Reynolds but rather some forward thinking investment group who simply needed celebrity endorsement for the whole thing to work. R&R will not have “invested” a cent of their own money in this.

They will go through League Two with relative ease, may find League One tricky before selling up (at least in part) once they reach the Championship and require outright cash injections of substantial quantities in order to progress further. But by then they’ll be an attractive proposition, won’t they? A club potentially on the cusp of the Premier League with a global, cult following and a profile well beyond that of your average second tier side.

Ultimately it’s a money making scheme that actually benefits the club involved; it’s uniquely win-win. Do I like it? Not really. Do I like the way that football and its historic clubs are being used as pawns in some rich man’s game? No. But there are bigger evils out there than Wrexham and their so-called owners. Make no mistake.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
diehardmariner
April 13, 2023, 12:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,693
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from Poojah
But by then they’ll be an attractive proposition, won’t they? A club potentially on the cusp of the Premier League with a global, cult following and a profile well beyond that of your average second tier side.

It's this bit that I struggle to understand as part of their business model.

There's a life span for the Welcome to Wrexham type shows and it's generally quite short.  Their new found fanbase will soon tire and find something else to get their teeth into for their next faux fix.   Be it before that or as a result of, the TV deal will disappear and with a reduced audience as will the TikTok sponsorship deals.

Sure, they're tapping into the local population and boosting their gates as a result.  But I'm neither sure they'll remain for the long haul, certainly not at the point where they reach a plateau or decline.  Even with the inflated gates, I can't imagine it's enough to cover their outlay their making in wages and absolutely not enough to fund League One promotion bids.

To me anyway it feels like a really, really unsustainable plan that's solely built up around the cult of personality that comes with Reynolds and the other one.  The tag-a-long fans will be gone before you can even blink at the first glimpse of something newer and shinier.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
Mappers
April 13, 2023, 12:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

And there in lies the problem we will have, at least in the short term. JS and AP have said that the cup monies will go into the playing budget, but we are not going to get to the QF every year and so can that budget be sustainable? The expectations of the fan base is now higher because more budget should mean better players and looking up rather than down, but us, the fan base, have to realistic about next season and beyond imo. I don’t have an answer, I’m not even sure I have asked a question, but I at least believe we have the right owners to do things in a sustainable way, shirt, medium and longer term.

I might be in the minority here but in a way i would rather  the FA cup money was spent on the infrastructure , keeping season ticket prices reasonable ,adding a small covered temporary stand in one of the corners and a little increase in the playing budget to leave a little bit of legacy from the great achievement .

The sad reality is it cant/wont happen because of the pressure to just sustain and compete at this level , it will be used for just that .

And we know some fans (of all clubs ) just care about the 3 points on a Saturday ,and what goes on,on the pitch ; which is fair enough but like everything in life you can't have it both ways .

Finding the balancing act between all these variables is Jason and Andrews biggest challenge IMO if they are to reach the goal of a sustainable model ,if thats even possible eventually .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
Poojah
April 13, 2023, 12:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,742
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from diehardmariner

It's this bit that I struggle to understand as part of their business model.

There's a life span for the Welcome to Wrexham type shows and it's generally quite short.  Their new found fanbase will soon tire and find something else to get their teeth into for their next faux fix.   Be it before that or as a result of, the TV deal will disappear and with a reduced audience as will the TikTok sponsorship deals.

Sure, they're tapping into the local population and boosting their gates as a result.  But I'm neither sure they'll remain for the long haul, certainly not at the point where they reach a plateau or decline.  Even with the inflated gates, I can't imagine it's enough to cover their outlay their making in wages and absolutely not enough to fund League One promotion bids.

To me anyway it feels like a really, really unsustainable plan that's solely built up around the cult of personality that comes with Reynolds and the other one.  The tag-a-long fans will be gone before you can even blink at the first glimpse of something newer and shinier.

It all rests on the longevity of the TV show, absolutely, along with their ability to get through the leagues as quickly as possible. That penalty save on Monday has potentially saved them from a whole host of problems.

The exit plan if interest dries up sooner than they can reach an “attractive” level will be interesting. I do think though that the element of celebrity affords them a much longer and more lucrative shelf-life than documentaries about Sunderland, Spurs or Man City. It’s cringe, but the appeal is bigger than football and I think that’s their joker.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
Maringer
April 13, 2023, 1:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
The perfect story for the show would be for them to miss out on automatic promotion due to a last-minute goal, but then 'redeem' themselves with a play-off victory at Wembley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
Mariner_09
April 13, 2023, 1:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Maringer
The perfect story for the show would be for them to miss out on automatic promotion due to a last-minute goal, but then 'redeem' themselves with a play-off victory at Wembley.

The redemption narrative is already nearly complete sadly

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Mullin

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.