Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 114 Guests

Paul Mullin

This thread currently has 7,127 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
April 13, 2023, 9:48am
Guest User
Quoted from promotion plaice

Apologise if already mentioned on here but Mullin is on £4,500 per week at Wrexham (allegedly)

We need to up our game next season.

I have no idea of our wage structure but I'm guessing we won't be paying that sort of money.

Reply: 30 - 61
Mariner_09
April 13, 2023, 11:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from promotion plaice

Apologise if already mentioned on here but Mullin is on £4,500 per week at Wrexham (allegedly)

We need to up our game next season.

Wrexham are going to heavily distort the market next season. Even in a higher league, they're going to be able to blow us ALL out of the water financially again. Whether Parkinson's dinosaur tactics get sussed out by enough teams remains to be seen, I happen to think they will be.

There will be a knock on as well, everyone will have to up their game to try and compete with Wrexham. Hursty has spoken about maybe having to pay wages he's not naturally comfortable with, but accepts we'll have to or we'll miss out on a load of targets again.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 61
Maringer
April 13, 2023, 11:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,669
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

£2k for his footballing ability and £2.5k for his acting ability?

He's not even a great actor, but he certainly is persistent...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 61
Poojah
April 13, 2023, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,736
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from Mariner_09

Wrexham are going to heavily distort the market next season. Even in a higher league, they're going to be able to blow us ALL out of the water financially again. Whether Parkinson's dinosaur tactics get sussed out by enough teams remains to be seen, I happen to think they will be.

There will be a knock on as well, everyone will have to up their game to try and compete with Wrexham. Hursty has spoken about maybe having to pay wages he's not naturally comfortable with, but accepts we'll have to or we'll miss out on a load of targets again.

It’s going to be a tough, tough league next season, and I suspect we’ll need to improve quite a bit just to stand still, let alone better this season’s finish.

If both Wrexham and Notts County come up then that’s two bank rolled clubs along with Forest Green coming down. Stockport could still be here too; it’s probably in our interest that they go up.

Then you’ve got Bradford, Swindon and Wimbledon all with substantially higher gates than us. Perhaps the one saving grace is that it doesn’t look like we’ve got “big” clubs coming down from League One, but make no mistake, we need to be on it if we are to have a successful season by most Town fan’s standards and expectations.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 61
Mappers
April 13, 2023, 11:26am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,440
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Mariner_09

It will be bonkers

Notts will go flat out to ,get in to more debt ,others will go silly .

We will have a budget ball park mid table (even with the cup run ) , making a loss and Jason + Andrew investing circa 1 million quid .

The games gone mad unfortunately
I wonder what our budget would be if we ran an actual sustainable now break even model ?

Bottom ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 61
Poojah
April 13, 2023, 11:29am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

It will be bonkers

Notts will go flat out to ,get in to more debt ,others will go silly .

We will have a budget ball park mid table (even with the cup run ) , making a loss and Jason + Andrew investing circa 1 million quid .

The games gone mad unfortunately
I wonder what our budget would be if we ran an actual sustainable now break even model ?

Bottom ?

[img]https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/_files/images/feb_20/John-Fenty-500x375.jpg[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 61
Mappers
April 13, 2023, 11:40am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,440
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Poojah

It’s going to be a tough, tough league next season, and I suspect we’ll need to improve quite a bit just to stand still, let alone better this season’s finish.

If both Wrexham and Notts County come up then that’s two bank rolled clubs along with Forest Green coming down. Stockport could still be here too; it’s probably in our interest that they go up.

Then you’ve got Bradford, Swindon and Wimbledon all with substantially higher gates than us. Perhaps the one saving grace is that it doesn’t look like we’ve got “big” clubs coming down from League One, but make no mistake, we need to be on it if we are to have a successful season by most Town fan’s standards and expectations.

I give you most of that but would not say Wimbledon have
substantially higher gates than us they average 1k more but in reality its a few hundred as they count seats sold whereas we count bums on seats , adding to that they are effectively a fan owned club (a good one)  with minimal investment so  are not going to be up there in terms of budget
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 61
Poojah
April 13, 2023, 11:42am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

I give you most of that but would not say Wimbledon have
substantially higher gates than us they average 1k more but in reality its a few hundred as they count seats sold whereas we count bums on seats , adding to that they are effectively a fan owned club (a good one)  with minimal investment so  are not going to be up there in terms of budget

Fair enough, consider myself corrected!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 61
RichMariner
April 13, 2023, 11:51am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,161
Gold Stars: 211
Clubs like Wrexham create problems for others, but that doesn't fit the narrative of the media, who just want to sell the story of rags to riches.

I watched Welcome to Wrexham. I kind of like (and admire) McElhenney; I think he gets it. He's absorbed by sport, and just wants something to be passionate about. I don't get Reynolds, though. Cynically, I think he's in it for different reasons.

But, for all the good intentions they have - buying back the stadium, redeveloping the kop, investing £££ in helping them get out that league, promoting the club in the community, raising aspirations in the town... it's admirable, but through the sheer amount of money they're spending to do this - and do it as quickly as possible - it's forcing other clubs at that level to spend more, just in the hope that they can compete.

I reckon most teams in the top half of the NL are spending beyond what they can afford. I reckon most teams in the bottom half know they can't compete at the top but are still spending more than they can afford to simply battle against relegation since 'bigger' teams are being squeezed down the league by the big spenders.

It's a worrying knock-on effect. Clubs might not go bust today, but they might in the near future. By that time, Wrexham could be in L1 or the Championship, long gone. But the trail of destruction they leave in their wake will be felt by others for a long time to come.

Football has changed so much in the past couple of decades. It's in such a position that I genuinely think Scunny will struggle to ever get back to L2. Unless they find another sugar daddy.

We got back into the FL at just the right time. Your Accringtons, Morecambes, etc - those small clubs who have done remarkably well to reach L1 - will start to filter back down. Big spenders (over-spenders) will continue to climb.

The only hope we have of progressing up the leagues is by continuing to operate sensibly and sustainably, and watch other big clubs fall on hard times when their benefactors start to pull out. The likes of Bolton, Coventry and Portsmouth have all fallen into this league in recent times. More will probably follow.

Their bad stewardship may help nudge us up the league ladder one rung at a time, but we still have to do our bit and not get involved in paying silly wages to players. That might mean we never built a title-winning squad, so we'll have to find other, cleverer, ways to grow - and that's where I think the value of JS and AP comes in.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 38 - 61
Posh Harry
April 13, 2023, 11:54am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,371
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Maringer

He's not even a great actor, but he certainly is persistent...

Are we still talking about mullin or moved onto Reynolds?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Mullin

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.