Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is it too early?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 91 Guests

Is it too early?

This thread currently has 5,211 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
April 10, 2023, 8:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,666
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from TheFryingSquad

Yep, 12 goals in 120 games, just the sort of prolific striker we’re crying out for.

I realise you're just trolling, but it doesn't change the fact that Lloyd looks a decent player to me.

If you really think there is much chance that we're about to sign a previously-prolific striker this summer, you're going to be disappointed.

I'd settle for two or three forwards who can score a dozen each.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
Rick12
April 10, 2023, 8:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from jimgtfc
Are fans really expecting “playoffs as a minimum”? Genuine question. Obviously, I’m all for progress but I don’t see what entitles us to to going from bottom half to promotion contenders, in a matter of months.
Valid point .Sometimes you need to eat humble pie and re address your expectations. I for one have been guilty of this considering Grimsbys decent history in years gone by. We have to live in the present and let bygones be bygones and build up steadily admittedly with financial constraints on which everything is built on eg it's fans that pump money into this club and once that starts drying up the football club like any other  up and down the league's would suffer.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
DB
April 10, 2023, 9:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.43
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,050
Gold Stars: 391
We are what we are, a League 2 with mostly an NL squad. Some players have moved with the times and others haven't got it at League 2 level.

We need to keep Clifton, Waterfall, Maher, Hunt, and put a bid in for Lloyd. Build a new team around them and replace the rest as the others shine at times, but only at times.

Those under contract need to be told to buck their ideas up or your are out on loan. Max needs to get back to the level he was before Christmas as it's been a downward spiral for him. What on earth is he doing chasing up the field to complain to refs about things for?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
Maringer
April 10, 2023, 9:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,666
Gold Stars: 189
The oddest thing with Crocombe is that his kicking was pretty good last season, but has been increasingly inaccurate this season. Almost as though he has the 'yips'! I'd expect him to stay and hopefully get his head back in the game as regards his kicking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
DB
April 10, 2023, 10:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.43
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,050
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Maringer
The oddest thing with Crocombe is that his kicking was pretty good last season, but has been increasingly inaccurate this season. Almost as though he has the 'yips'! I'd expect him to stay and hopefully get his head back in the game as regards his kicking.

When he's good he's brilliant but he lacks consistency. I'm saying I do not expect that 100% all of the time as most people have bad days but I do expect consistency most of the time.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 63
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2023, 10:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,991
Gold Stars: 228
I’ve been quite critical of Max as it looks like his heads gone but I’m sure he’s still working hard in training.

What might help is if we drop this trying to play out from the back bollox and mix it up a bit. We can’t pass the ball very well so why are we trying to play out? Max has also proved to our cost that he’s not a keeper sweeper.

I’m not sure if I’m right but I think he’s out of contract at the end of the season so I just wonder if his head is actually elsewhere? Agents do start talking to clubs well in advance so could he have a good offer on the table already? Maybe I’m wrong and he’s tied in.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 63
Sussexmariner
April 10, 2023, 10:37am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +623
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from jimgtfc
Are fans really expecting “playoffs as a minimum”? Genuine question. Obviously, I’m all for progress but I don’t see what entitles us to to going from bottom half to promotion contenders, in a matter of months.

In a word, Yes
History has shown many clubs coming out of the national league do well in league 2.
They have that momentum, the “feel good factor” etc  add to the fact the huge increase in season tickets sold and the money that brought in quite simply Hurst did not bring in the quality of players (for what ever reason) that was needed.
Missed opportunity in my opinion, pushing for playoff place at the very least, not looking over our shoulder at relegation.

Hurst will need to get a squad together in the summer that can challenge for promotion next season, nothing else will be acceptable

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
Bigdog
April 10, 2023, 11:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
GK
Crocombe (offer terms)
New signing

RB
Efete
New signing

LB
Glennon
New signing

CB
Maher
Waterfall
New signing Smith?
New signing

CM
Clifton
Green
Holohan
Hunt
Khouri (loan out)
New signing
New signing

WM
Khan
New signing Emmanuel?
New signing

CF
New signing Lloyd?
New signing
New signing
Orsi (loan out)

Tighter squad, more invested per player, only Max offered terms from players out of contract. Keep nucleus of squad for continuation, try to upgrade every position..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 63
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2023, 11:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,991
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Bigdog
GK
Crocombe (offer terms)
New signing

RB
Efete
New signing

LB
Glennon
New signing

CB
Maher
Waterfall
New signing Smith?
New signing

CM
Clifton
Green
Holohan
Hunt
Khouri (loan out)
New signing
New signing

WM
Khan
New signing Emmanuel?
New signing

CF
New signing Lloyd?
New signing
New signing
Orsi (loan out)

Tighter squad, more invested per player, only Max offered terms from players out of contract. Keep nucleus of squad for continuation, try to upgrade every position..

Feels about right, doubt we’ll get Smith but would take Lloyd as long as it’s not to fulfil the hold up man role.

I’d agree with the 2 lads to loan out but they need to go to NL clubs and not Cleethorpes, Brid etc.. if they’re going to get to any level.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
Corkyefes
April 11, 2023, 11:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 10
Keep

Crocombe - Needs competition. Becomes second choice If we can get better.
Waterfall
Maher
Glennon - Becomes a squad player if better available.
Amos - Becomes a squad player if better available.
Efete - Becomes a squad player if better available.
Khouri - If wages low.
Kahn - Becomes a squad player if better available.
Morris - Becomes a squad player if better available.
Clifton - Contracted and we should keep, but can see him going in the summer.
Green - Needs to play a more defensive role of breaking up play, because he can't pass for sh*t when he advances.
Holohan - Becomes a squad player if better available.
Orsi - Feel like he hasn't been given a fair crack at the whip considering he has performed decent in his cameos.

Try to Sign

Smith - Try and sign, but wont be gutted if that cannot happen.
Emmanuel - Try and sign but won't be gutted if we don't. Good player in periods, but certainly not a Championship quality player as some are suggesting.
Lloyd - Try and sign, but we still need to look for other strikers. Wouldn't mind him as 1 of 4 strikers.

Release / Return to Club / Sell

Pearson
Gallacher
Cropper
Hunt
Scannell
McAtee
Dickson Peters
O'Neill
Taylor
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is it too early?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.