Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is it too early?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 103 Guests

Is it too early?

This thread currently has 5,215 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
TheFryingSquad
April 9, 2023, 11:27pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
So back to the original poster:

Amos- pushes on too far too often and gets caught out of position.  Not good enough
Orsi-  still young but National league at best
Taylor- good player who suffers from crap service, like him and more to give
Holohan- doesn’t contribute enough and poor distribution
Morris- needs better players round him, tidy player
Shaun- wtf did we sign him for?  Not disputing his commitment but a complete waste of a wage
Scannel- good player……5 years ago
Cropper- National league at best
Waterfall- Every team needs a Luke, winner and leader
Loanies-  Smith is the only one I’d keep, the rest have been a total waste of cash.  Did Hurst actually watch them?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 63
Maringer
April 9, 2023, 11:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
I'd happily see Lloyd here next season. Just as long as he isn't playing as a lone forward! Looks as decent player and I reckon he'd score a few in a team with a better attacking set up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 63
TheFryingSquad
April 9, 2023, 11:35pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Maringer
I'd happily see Lloyd here next season. Just as long as he isn't playing as a lone forward! Looks as decent player and I reckon he'd score a few in a team with a better attacking set up.

Yep, 12 goals in 120 games, just the sort of prolific striker we’re crying out for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 63
The Yard Dog
April 9, 2023, 11:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from TheFryingSquad
So it’s okay to sack off the players who some think aren’t good enough, but not the manager that signed them all, very odd.  So what is there to suggest that PH will make better choices this time round?

In general its the manager that gets the sack, not the players.

We are not talking about sacking the players, its about giving new contracts, for those deserve one.

One of the biggest problems is our training ground, being located  in Waltam. Its not like years gone by when all the players lived in the Grimsby area.  Due to the nature of the business these days, players are only been offered one or two years contracts, who is going to uproot their family and move to the Grimsby area based on a short contract.
It would make more sense to base our training ground at the end of the M180 (Doncaster area). less travelling and a wider catchment area were players could stay in their current location, only travelling to Grimsby on matchdays, Barrow train in Manchester.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 63
marinerjase
April 9, 2023, 11:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,676
Gold Stars: 147
Really? It’s not been said..didn’t know that..

Honest guv…🤷‍♂️.

Why people persist with this when they know a training ground within the Town is in latter stages of planning I don’t know..

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 63
grimsby pete
April 9, 2023, 11:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Where are you getting ‘men’ loanees from? We’ve failed miserably on loan recruitment this year.

Yes we did fail but hopefully with a little extra money from the cup run we could pay a bit of their wages.

It might work but if you do not try you will never find out.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 63
April 10, 2023, 12:04am
Guest User
Whether too early or not, I started thinking about next season a few days ago.

The question I put to myself was "who could I see being part of a promotion challenging team?"

Clifton and Waterfall. (pauses for thought)

Emmanuel and Smith are unlikely to be ours next season, and whilst Lloyd could be part of a promotion challenging team,
if we continue to play one up front we need a different type of player.

Crocombe is OK - but would ideally be our second-choice keeper. Maybe Efete and Khan as squad players.
Maher perhaps, if he could act as cover for the left-back position.

But basically Clifton and Waterfall then, and the latter will need younger legs around him.
Our other contracted players will no doubt give their all, which seems unlikely to be good enough judging by our league
performances this season.

Paul Hurst has got his work cut out to satisfy the fans demanding 'play-offs as a minimum' next season imo.

And whilst we've seen some recent Town performances that are best/generously explained by the players showing the
strain of the punishing 18 months the club has just had, Croxton made the valid point that PH has been on the same
journey and must be knackered too.

Tired minds don't tend to make good decisions, so let's hope the head of recruitment proves to be valuable.

So having seriously downgraded my expectations for next season, I decided to stop pretending to be a football manager
and went to the nearest bar to seek comfort in alcohol. (Stick to what you're good at   )

UTM
Reply: 36 - 63
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2023, 12:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from The Yard Dog

In general its the manager that gets the sack, not the players.

We are not talking about sacking the players, its about giving new contracts, for those deserve one.

One of the biggest problems is our training ground, being located  in Waltam. Its not like years gone by when all the players lived in the Grimsby area.  Due to the nature of the business these days, players are only been offered one or two years contracts, who is going to uproot their family and move to the Grimsby area based on a short contract.
It would make more sense to base our training ground at the end of the M180 (Doncaster area). less travelling and a wider catchment area were players could stay in their current location, only travelling to Grimsby on matchdays, Barrow train in Manchester.

If we want a really good training ground that belongs to us then I suspect the funding streams available to enable and support it will be dependent on it being a community asset. Personally I’d prefer the residents of Grimsby & Cleethorpes to benefit from improved facilities as well as the academy & ladies Town teams ahead of people out of town.

Barrow are doing well for sure but they don’t seem to me to be the blue print for a community club. I suspect that their Salford base is as much about managing cost as it is attracting talent, I may be wrong.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 63
jimgtfc
April 10, 2023, 7:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,101
Gold Stars: 45
Are fans really expecting “playoffs as a minimum”? Genuine question. Obviously, I’m all for progress but I don’t see what entitles us to to going from bottom half to promotion contenders, in a matter of months.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 63
lukeo
April 10, 2023, 7:35am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from jimgtfc
Are fans really expecting “playoffs as a minimum”? Genuine question. Obviously, I’m all for progress but I don’t see what entitles us to to going from bottom half to promotion contenders, in a matter of months.

I've said this many times that people are expecting too much next season.
I think we should be aiming for the play offs but the ultimate goal should be progression so therefore a top 12 finish and be within reach of the play offs with a few games to go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is it too early?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.