Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is it too early?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 104 Guests

Is it too early?

This thread currently has 5,213 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
CSLM
April 9, 2023, 8:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Holohan is a tricky one.
His passing can be woeful but there has certainly been games where he has won everything in the middle and got us on the front foot repeatedly.

I think the combination of Hunt and Glennon has real potential if we actually get a couple of half decent centre forwards in the box attacking the ball.

As for Max, earlier in the season I thought he would be moving up a league or two. Changed my mind on that now lol.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 63
Mappers
April 9, 2023, 8:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,440
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from chaos33
Because brilliant,flawless,top keepers sign for  L2 clubs don’t they. Some people need a big dose of realism.

I think we need a dose of ambition .
Plenty of high quality keepers in league 1 and 2 (better than Max)
And surely if we want to do better we need to get better ?
If we are aiming to stay the same keep Max , have Taylor and Orsi up top and settle for 'punching above our weight' at 15th in league 2 .
Surely we need to aim for better , otherwise next season everyone will be on here again having meltdowns .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 63
MarinerDevil
April 9, 2023, 8:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,799
Gold Stars: 80
Totally bizarre to even be talking about releasing Waterfall, especially when he's under contract. One of the first names on the team sheet when fit and I expect him to remain that way next season.

The ones who are almost certain to be released are Pearson, Scannell and Gallacher. I also think we will release Amos as we need an upgrade at left back. I don't think he's been any worse than Glennon but he's the one out of contract so he'll probably have to make way. Everyone else still has time to earn a new contract before the summer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 63
Croxton
April 9, 2023, 8:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,021
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from chaos33
I think it’s unfair and a bit disrespectful to do this now. Just my opinion.

Yes, especially when the management team are trying to prepare the squad for a local derby game. They know they were poor both on and off the pitch so they have to be as professional as they can tomorrow. We have our part to play. Doncaster are in a bad run and fans have low expectations. Why would we undermine our players on a fans forum?

Two hours after the match on Friday, I saw one of our younger players walking alone round a Grimsby suburb. Looked bored and fed up. Pro football is a meat grinder for young players especially those a long way from their family.  Our comments can wait for a couple of weeks. I think PH is also running on empty by now. Missed and occasionally testy interviews to live radio show he has little patience for fan's views generally. Time to give him some space too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 63
pen penfras
April 9, 2023, 9:23pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -133
Gold Stars: 71
Without Max Crocombe, we'd be in a relegation dog fight. He was absolutely brilliant for the first 3 months of the season. There were several games that he kept us in and we nicked points,  not to mention the command of the box cutting out chances.

He's not been great the last 6 weeks, but the whole team has been bad for longer. And you can't rely on the keeper to save the defensive member ups forever
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 63
Lord Gadiform
April 9, 2023, 9:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +114
Gold Stars: 5
Inevitable that releasing players will be a talking point. My basic emotion is that I’m massively fond of all our players they’ve given me some fantastic days over the last 18 months. I think they’ve worked their nuts off and given more effort than many would.

On the flip side I’m not in the camp who say if you give everything I’ll support you blindly. Was looking at a league two team of the year Gab Sutton posted today. Not one of our players would have been near it. If we want to challenge next year we’ll need two or three at least who could be in that discussion. There’s a few who might keep developing and have a hot season (Harry, Michee, Glenno maybe?). To get to that level we’ll need to bring them in. We seem to have solid pros with seemingly good attitudes and that’s so much better than some previous squads but I’m coming round to us needing major surgery to challenge.

It's no fish ye're buying: It's men's lives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 63
HertsGTFC
April 9, 2023, 9:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,991
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Croxton

Yes, especially when the management team are trying to prepare the squad for a local derby game..

As much as I like you my friend and generally agree with you I’m not sure they read The Fishy.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 63
HertsGTFC
April 9, 2023, 9:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lord Gadiform
Inevitable that releasing players will be a talking point. My basic emotion is that I’m massively fond of all our players they’ve given me some fantastic days over the last 18 months. I think they’ve worked their nuts off and given more effort than many would.

On the flip side I’m not in the camp who say if you give everything I’ll support you blindly. Was looking at a league two team of the year Gab Sutton posted today. Not one of our players would have been near it. If we want to challenge next year we’ll need two or three at least who could be in that discussion. There’s a few who might keep developing and have a hot season (Harry, Michee, Glenno maybe?). To get to that level we’ll need to bring them in. We seem to have solid pros with seemingly good attitudes and that’s so much better than some previous squads but I’m coming round to us needing major surgery to challenge.

Was that the PFA’s voted team of the year or just nominations by the equivalent of a social media football “influencer”?

We’re 15th in the league and I would agree with you, we don’t warrant any players to be in any form of team of the year regardless of who’s opinion it is.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 63
HertsGTFC
April 9, 2023, 9:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras
Without Max Crocombe, we'd be in a relegation dog fight. He was absolutely brilliant for the first 3 months of the season. There were several games that he kept us in and we nicked points,  not to mention the command of the box cutting out chances.

He's not been great the last 6 weeks, but the whole team has been bad for longer. And you can't rely on the keeper to save the defensive member ups forever

Read what you’ve posted, a season does not last for 3 months. The term “business end” has a meaning.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 63
Lord Gadiform
April 9, 2023, 9:50pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +114
Gold Stars: 5
A social media ‘selection’. Personal opinion in effect. Granted Gab has a bit of a squeaky voice and laugh but when he talks about lower league football I’ll listen to his views. He’s knowledgable and often on the money and has a nice sideline in winding up Bradford fans without realising he’s doing it.

It's no fish ye're buying: It's men's lives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is it too early?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.