August 12, 2022, 1:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from ska face
Would recommend people check out DontPayUk -

Tweet 1538280864232128512 will appear here...

Energy suppliers will up your direct debits without telling you. They’re taking the píss and the likes of BP and Shell are raking in BILLIONS in profit. Cancel your direct debit, pay what can afford.

I saw something the other day along the lines of "if you cancel your direct debit, you lose the 'preferential rate' that this method of payment provides"

Essentially cancel it and you'll have to renegotiate a new deal which could be way worse than any d/d deal you had in place

To coin an old phrase.... they've got everyone by the short and curlies ( though I suppose that's less of a thing these days     )
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 64
FishOutOfWater
August 12, 2022, 1:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from mariner91
Things are likely to get very bad. Hopefully people will wake up and realise who's led them to this point over the last 12 years. And note that the rich have become exponentially richer in the same time period.

I'm old enough to remember when the mood was..  

Things can only get better

Turned out it was just a d-ream  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 64
Sandford1981
August 26, 2022, 10:12am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Wow! With the increases in energy prices that have been announced, we will now be paying a touch under £500 a month for fuel.

Absolutely fuckking ridiculous!!!!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 64
Humbercod
August 26, 2022, 11:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
To end this Net Zero madness would be a good start. Then get on with Fracking I heard a company mentioned on the radio yesterday who said give them the green light and they will be up and running supplying the network by January.
Start building the Nuclear reactors, get drilling in the North Sea, and get the coal mines re-opened, we could be fully self sufficient by next winter, but the problem is having the Will to do it and none of the main party’s have any.

We have been ridiculously obsessed with the so called climate crisis and green energy, we have been coerced by a 16 year old girl with mental problems, indoctrinated by the Green loons and empowered by the funded scientists (where have I heard that before?) and there is no wonder the state we are in now. But we can always blame Brexit 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 64
Maringer
August 26, 2022, 11:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,629
Gold Stars: 185
If you like Chinese takeaways, now would be a very good time to eat your fill. They'll all be going out of business when their gas bills rise manyfold as their fixed term contracts end. No price caps for businesses, remember. Most Indian restaurants will probably go out of business as well, I suppose, as well as the majority of fast food restaurants.

Chippies? Unlikely many of them will keep going due to the cost of running the fryers, let alone the fact that the potato crop is failing due to the drought so prices will rocket for the spuds.

I suppose anywhere that uses a charcoal grill will perhaps be able to keep going a bit longer, but then a significant proportion of the population won't have any spare money to get a takeaway in the first place so most of those will probably go under as well.

It's understandable that people are concerned about their own household bills, but I don't think most people realise just how bad things will get for the whole economy unless the government steps in and does something to mitigate these ludicrously high energy costs extremely soon. The costs are being pumped up by speculation in the market as well, of course. Wouldn't it be nice if we had had a government which had made any sort of attempt at getting our homes properly insulated over the past decade?

What else? Oh, yes, the Bank of England plans to continue raising interest rates with rises up to 4% pencilled in by next Spring so the millions with a mortgage which isn't at a fixed rate or are going to see their incomes fall further as inflation continues to bite.

We were in a excrement position back in 2008 when the financial crisis hit, but managed to keep the recession smaller than feared through a lot of money creation through QE (though most of the benefits went to the wealthy, of course). Now, our economy is in the crapper from the start, especially after two and a half years of pandemic and the value of the pound has tanked against both the dollar and the pound (thanks in great part to Brexit) so we're going to be hit even more by the high energy costs than most of our peers. Not to mention one of two absolute clowns about to enter No. 10, with the especially dim one the odds-on favourite to take the role.

If I was religious, I'd be praying for the future of the country right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 64
diehardmariner
August 26, 2022, 12:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,650
Gold Stars: 539
Much like chaos' train of thought, I'm hoping the pending disaster (or should I say more of a disaster)will lead to genuine change.

The problem is that I'm unsure where the change will come from.  As bad as Truss will be, where's the challenge going to come from?  Labour can be summed up by their stance on striking workers, failing to represent the masses and the people who they should be targetting to get back into power.

If only there had been a genuine alternative option at the last General Election...

History will look back on the decisions in the past decade or so of our elected powers in amazement, yet it'll be dwarfed by the sheer disbelief that everyone just accepted it and took it up the bottom every single time!
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 64
Sandford1981
August 26, 2022, 12:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
I read an article on the BBC, in which it was detailing the ways in which we can save energy. These ideas were pretty basic and nothing we all haven’t thought of.

The laughable part was the cumulative savings were around £100 over the year!!! It’s like a pin sharp object in the ocean! I bet the author of the article couldn’t type for pisssing themselves

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 64
Humbercod
August 26, 2022, 1:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
Insulating every home in the UK would cost 100s of billions of pounds and wouldn’t achieve very much in regards to being able to afford the costs. Anyone who lives in a fully insulated modern home knows that it still gets bloody cold without the heating on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 64
Stadium
August 26, 2022, 1:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
It's simple according to the minister of stating the bleeding obvious.

Tweet 1563121001319108609 will appear here...

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 64
DB
August 26, 2022, 4:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,043
Gold Stars: 390
I'm all for helping 'True' asylum seekers but it is now abused beyond belief in numbers which cross the channel. I read these people have cost £2 Billion so far. So the government has money but not for our needy people to offset these ridiculous fuel prices.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fuel Bills

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.