7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
August 7, 2022, 8:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Since the 'Energy Crisis' began we have seen an increase of 50% in our payments to our energy provider. I was just wondering how this sat with everyone else?
We are a family of 4 living in a modest house which id imagine is fairly typical and I wouldn't imagine our usage is particularly high either. Obviously there are strong indications that we are due another increase come the start of next year. If conservative estimates are to be believed it will make our fuel bills higher than our mortgage which seems like utter madness to me.
All of that without the consideration that by then, winter would be coming (You know nothing Jon Snaaaaw!) and our usage of gas will go up with the heating.
The mind boggles.....

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
ska face
August 7, 2022, 8:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,752
Gold Stars: 851
Would recommend people check out DontPayUk -

Tweet 1538280864232128512 will appear here...

Energy suppliers will up your direct debits without telling you. They’re taking the píss and the likes of BP and Shell are raking in BILLIONS in profit. Cancel your direct debit, pay what can afford.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 64
chaos33
August 7, 2022, 8:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,972
Gold Stars: 360
I hope this receives mass support and forms part of a raft of civil action to protest at how ordinary, hard working Brits are being driven into poverty whilst being governed by incompetent. dishonest, corrupt government.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 64
Manchester Mariner
August 7, 2022, 9:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
"Asked about the stark contrast with punishingly high bills faced by households already struggling amid sky-high inflation, Shell’s chief executive, Ben van Beurden, said the company could not “perform miracles” to bring oil and gas prices down, adding: “It is what it is.”

It's an absolute racket is what it is.

I'm hoping this "Don't Pay" movement gathers huge numbers. It's obviously already causing anxiety in certain circles as today I've seen a couple of stories with various industry types warning against not paying your energy bill.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 64
aldi_01
August 7, 2022, 10:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
"Asked about the stark contrast with punishingly high bills faced by households already struggling amid sky-high inflation, Shell’s chief executive, Ben van Beurden, said the company could not “perform miracles” to bring oil and gas prices down, adding: “It is what it is.”

It's an absolute racket is what it is.

I'm hoping this "Don't Pay" movement gathers huge numbers. It's obviously already causing anxiety in certain circles as today I've seen a couple of stories with various industry types warning against not paying your energy bill.

Just heard some melt on 5 live, ‘presenter’ basically trying to dampen down the movement…seems the wheels are in motion to try and stop folk staking a stand.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 64
chaos33
August 8, 2022, 6:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,972
Gold Stars: 360
The energy companies could reduce their prices.

I think, when this kicks in, together with an awful lot of workers striking, there will be a chance for some real social change. The frightening thing is, it will be ‘continuity candidate’ Liz Truss as PM. Someone with all the capability of a leaking fridge.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 64
Roast Em Bobby
August 8, 2022, 12:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 64
ginnywings
August 8, 2022, 7:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Sandford1981
Since the 'Energy Crisis' began we have seen an increase of 50% in our payments to our energy provider. I was just wondering how this sat with everyone else?
We are a family of 4 living in a modest house which id imagine is fairly typical and I wouldn't imagine our usage is particularly high either. Obviously there are strong indications that we are due another increase come the start of next year. If conservative estimates are to be believed it will make our fuel bills higher than our mortgage which seems like utter madness to me.
All of that without the consideration that by then, winter would be coming (You know nothing Jon Snaaaaw!) and our usage of gas will go up with the heating.
The mind boggles.....

Bad news for you mate. Bill's are going up in October and again in January. Price caps have been changed from every 6 months to every three months, supposedly so prices can drop quicker when wholesale fuel prices come down.

Problem being that they are set to rise, not decrease, so the bills will rise at a quicker rate.

I'm not in fuel debt and can afford to pay, but I'm cancelling my direct debit in protest. Let's hope people have seen the light and start to protest like the French do. Not just over fuel either. If everyone says no, what can they do?

Can't take us all to court.j
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 64
GollyGTFC
August 8, 2022, 8:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,040
Gold Stars: 358
The price cap is just the maximum they can charge. Any company can drop their prices whenever they choose and don’t have to wait for the next cap review. The switch to 3 monthly reviews is 100% for the benefit of the energy suppliers at the detriment to consumers.

Because I was concerned that the pound was tanking and I thought prices might price a bit I took a fixed deal for 30 months about this time last year. So i am fixed until 31st March 2024. I appreciate I am extremely fortunate to be immune to the horrific price rises for another 20 months and to live in a fuel efficient modern house with solar panels.

The lack of genuine targeted help for the most vulnerable in society is appalling. I don’t need the £400 grant and at the same time many the £400 barely touches the sides. And we have an absent PM doing nothing and seemingly hoping to leave his successor with the biggest skip fire he can manage to achieve in his remaining 4 weeks.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 64
ginnywings
August 8, 2022, 9:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
The rebate they are giving out is a joke, because it will still end up in the coffers of the fuel companies anyway.

They are using our money to indirectly pay toward fuel company profits. Our taxes are being used to enrich shareholders. What a fooking state we are in.

We are out of Europe though, so there's that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 64
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fuel Bills

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.