DB
August 9, 2022, 5:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from ginnywings
The rebate they are giving out is a joke, because it will still end up in the coffers of the fuel companies anyway.

They are using our money to indirectly pay toward fuel company profits. Our taxes are being used to enrich shareholders. What a fooking state we are in.

We are out of Europe though, so there's that.

I agree with what you say about the rebate. However, if we were in the EC, we could face power cuts.

https://stopthesethings.com/tag/blackouts-in-germany/

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 64
Maringer
August 9, 2022, 7:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,630
Gold Stars: 185
No, we couldn't. Our energy mix is much different to Germany. Brexit happened, there is no need to continue to make stuff up to try and claim it is of some sort of a benefit.

The Germans are flipping idiots for shutting down their nuclear power plants before the end of their scheduled lives, firstly to burn brown coal and then to become so reliant on Russian gas.

We're flipping idiots, too, however, for failing to keep our nuclear fleet up to date and then eventually selecting the over-engineered and untested EPR for the new plants in addition to choosing the most stupidly expensive way of financing them!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 64
OddShapedBalls
August 11, 2022, 12:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 40
You also need to watch the fornicators like hawks, spotted that my meter readings had apparently been taken the other day (which is amazing service, bearing in mind the meters are indoors and I haven't let anyone in) and the claimed reading was 600 units higher on my gas meter than the actual.  I got an apology about the amount being incorrect but not an explanation as to how they had claimed to read it.

Call me naive, but seeing as the government set the max prices for energy couldn't they actually help their constituents and set prices low, force the energy companies into line and tell them to accept lower profits for a year or two? I mean there's been a precedent set with lots of people being forced to accept lower income through Covid hasn't there? Obviously I mean a competent government, not the one we have currently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 64
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 11, 2022, 1:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
You also need to watch the fornicators like hawks, spotted that my meter readings had apparently been taken the other day (which is amazing service, bearing in mind the meters are indoors and I haven't let anyone in) and the claimed reading was 600 units higher on my gas meter than the actual.  I got an apology about the amount being incorrect but not an explanation as to how they had claimed to read it.

Call me naive, but seeing as the government set the max prices for energy couldn't they actually help their constituents and set prices low, force the energy companies into line and tell them to accept lower profits for a year or two? I mean there's been a precedent set with lots of people being forced to accept lower income through Covid hasn't there? Obviously I mean a competent government, not the one we have currently.

That's what the French Govt have done isn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 64
Maringer
August 11, 2022, 2:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,630
Gold Stars: 185
Not to mention the fact that the price cap is calculated on the price per unit for the most expensive energy type, regardless of the energy mix actually used...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 64
Roast Em Bobby
August 12, 2022, 7:07am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44

That's what the French Govt have done isn't it?

Yeah, they've set the price cap at 4%. Italy 17%, and the UK................. 80%

But Liz Truss says:

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 64
OddShapedBalls
August 12, 2022, 9:52am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 40
Truss :  Profit is not a dirty word

Bp and Shell meanwhile post record profits during a fuel crisis.............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 64
Limerick Mariner
August 12, 2022, 10:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Gold Stars: 137
We are about to hit a financial maelstrom that will impact on millions - I really fear the worst. We've had years of underinvestment in energy efficiency compared to Europe - the Tories (shafting the naive Liberals) scrapped the investment programmes in 2012 so our homes and building are less energy efficient than in Europe. So we have a double whammy - we use more energy and the price cap formula chucks out huges increases in the Kwh price. This is all alongside years of underinvestment in utility infrastructure, whilst the utility companies booked huge profits, and now the upstream energy companies are booking the massive profits with commodity prices through the roof. Every which way the consumer is shafted. This includes water - as our water infrastructure pisses out potable water through leaks, then we wash away our excrement with grade A drinking water, which then gets dumped into our rivers. The consumer pays for the waste and the clean-up.

The few who can afford it may have invested in insulation, triple glazing, solar, heat pumps, grey water recycling etc, tens of millions in poorly insulated terraced houses will be shafted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 64
mariner91
August 12, 2022, 11:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,699
Gold Stars: 262
Things are likely to get very bad. Hopefully people will wake up and realise who's led them to this point over the last 12 years. And note that the rich have become exponentially richer in the same time period.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 64
Manchester Mariner
August 12, 2022, 11:32am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from mariner91
Things are likely to get very bad. Hopefully people will wake up and realise who's led them to this point over the last 12 years. .

People will probably come to the conclusion that it's all the fault of Corbyn, immigrants, people on benefits, the media, the civil service, 'the woke', 'militant' unions and people who work from home. And then people will vote in Lizz Truss.

People.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fuel Bills

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.