Roast Em Bobby
August 9, 2022, 2:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Poojah
Capacity is an obvious argument for the need for a new stadium, but not necessarily the main one. Throughout the club’s history our gates have been undulating, responding to peaks and troughs on the pitch as well as characters in the boardroom. We are experiencing something of a purple patch right now which provides some useful insight into what’s possible, but I’m not sure it is wise to make decisions which will define the club for the next 100 years based on the patterns of the last 3 months.

I think there is some truth in this. I still harbour a suspicion that a lot of the new season ticket holders will soon ebb away from attending if we have a poor or even mediocre season

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 71
HerveJosse
August 9, 2022, 2:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Poojah
Capacity is an obvious argument for the need for a new stadium, but not necessarily the main one. Throughout the club’s history our gates have been undulating, responding to peaks and troughs on the pitch as well as characters in the boardroom. We are experiencing something of a purple patch right now which provides some useful insight into what’s possible, but I’m not sure it is wise to make decisions which will define the club for the next 100 years based on the patterns of the last 3 months.

It is, however, the facilities or lack thereof which is the fundamental issue for me. Blundell Park makes precious little revenue outside of those 23 league plus cup match days a season, and even on those days fails to maximise the amount generated from each person passing through the turnstiles.

Modern, forward-thinking stadiums do a much better job at that, with swathes of corporate and premium spaces (whether you like it or not) and much easier access to food and drink once inside the ground. If you can grow attendances by 20% - 30%, justify an increase in ticket prices by 10% -  20% on account of enhanced facilities, and increase the amount spent on average per person in the ground by 50% then the compound impact of that is quite profound.

The club has done virtually all it can on that front within the limitations of BP, and that has given us an idea of how well it can work.

Beyond that, clubs need to generate income outside of match days, something BP does not. I do not know the current level of demand for such things in NE Lincs but I can only imagine there would be a reasonable degree of demand for wedding and conferencing facilities, hotel rooms, educational facilities, sporting facilities, a gymnasium, bars and restaurants - and that’s all off the top of my head.

This is the direction the club needs to go in at some point or other if it is to trying break free from the shackles of the past. That’s not to suggest it’s easily deliverable - it very well is not. But is that what the club needs? Absolutely.

I don’t think it’s just a mathematical calculation would a new stadium generate more profit then on he old one. At some point an asset becomes obsolete and needs replacing. Peoples expectations change. What didn’t bother me twenty years ago does now the disgusting toilets the narrow stairs to get in and out the lack of catering or the impossible queue to get a drink the pa that is inaudible etc.Fortunately I have had my seat for many years and it has a good view if I was a potential new fan and I also had to contend with a poor or restricted view along with the other issues then it could easily cause me not to bother.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attendance Yesterday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.