Limerick Mariner
August 8, 2022, 4:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from DB

Don't shoot the messenger, take it up with the club and tell them they're wrong.

Not shooting you in particular - every game with a sell-out or near we have people querying the attendance and asking where all the empty seats are. The reference point without tarped seats, empty corporates and more absent STH than typical, is 8,450 for a full house - if people use that instead of some theoretical figure including extra seats in corners, then the attendances make sense and are clearly correct.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 71
Lost in Lincoln
August 8, 2022, 4:40pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +385
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from aldi_01

I’ve often wondered if the obsession with a new ground has become part of the fan base because it was the only thing Fenty seemed to go on about so it became part of our psyche.

We’ve owners who will monitor attendances, look to make improvements before just spaffing cash on a stadium. If attendances remain stable and consistent then yes, we need to explore options (they’re already doing this, they’ve told us but apparently that’s seemingly not enough for some).

In the same way our home attendances early on will be relatively high, our away followings have already taken a hit. It wasn’t a challenge getting an Orient ticket, same for Rochdale. There’s various factors for that but I’d imagine what the club actually want is a consistent attendance at home games that is 6k plus…

I would respectfully disagree, unless you have a ST.  I tried to get extra for a friend and couldn't even get through to the ticket office.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 51 - 71
grimps
August 8, 2022, 5:20pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln

I would respectfully disagree, unless you have a ST.  I tried to get extra for a friend and couldn't even get through to the ticket office.

I know loads of people that went to quite a lot more away games than they did at  home.
When you ye tickets used to make general sale they was always snapped up quickly , the thing is now we have so many season tickets they’re not being put on general sale so quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
IlkleyMariner
August 8, 2022, 5:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
I am sure that Debbie reads this stuff.
All it needs is someone with A level maths to help the club explain what is going on.
I am Available if required
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
ginnywings
August 8, 2022, 6:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Can't we just be happy that we are getting crowds over 7000, instead of the usual 4 to 5 thousand. That's a big percentage increase, but shows that despite what people keep saying, we don't yet need more seats or a bigger ground as JS has pointed out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 71
Limerick Mariner
August 8, 2022, 7:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Can't we just be happy that we are getting crowds over 7000, instead of the usual 4 to 5 thousand. That's a big percentage increase, but shows that despite what people keep saying, we don't yet need more seats or a bigger ground as JS has pointed out.

Not sure on your conclusion there. Most of our available walk up seats for each game are now restricted view, we will be restricting away fan numbers for a few teams who would sell more this season. Our corporate offer is inadequate. If we have any ambition to compete in League 1 we clearly need a new ground or work doing to BP to improve it and increase capacity. At league 1 level we would be losing out on revenue from away ticket sales alone of 6 figures if we only have 919 tickets available.

We can’t wait for promotion before planning for this. We need to be planning now. I’m sure we are

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
ginnywings
August 8, 2022, 8:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
My conclusion is that JS has said more than once that a new ground is not a priority right now, yet it and attendances seem to have become a bit of an obsession with some fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 71
Limerick Mariner
August 8, 2022, 8:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
My conclusion is that JS has said more than once that a new ground is not a priority right now, yet it and attendances seem to have become a bit of an obsession with some fans.

Yes I’ve heard the same interviews and notwithstanding what JS has said about a new ground we clearly do need a bigger capacity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
Swansea_Mariner
August 8, 2022, 8:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,456
Gold Stars: 63
I don't think it is an obsession, but it is a lost opportunity and a huge one.

The point JS makes about us needing to reach a certain threshold to make the case for a new stadium is already being reached.  I'd be inclined to remove any restricted seats from that measure because they are substandard, but even those sold out against Northampton.

I'm totally behind what they are trying to do short term but we also need a long term view to go with that. In the close season  they talked about working on their strategy, which is likely a five or possibly ten year time horizon. Infrastructure though should be looked at over 60 years minimum and that's how the cost should be seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 71
lukeo
August 8, 2022, 8:48pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
I think IF the club are selling out each week then the buy back scheme should be something along the lines of if you give your seat up and someone pays to use it your account is credited £5 each time. So say I missed 10 games I have £50 to spend either online or on my next season ticket
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attendance Yesterday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.