August 8, 2022, 9:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Let’s be realistic about this.

We play in a stadium that is outdated but improvements are ongoing and the atmosphere on Saturday sounded incredible
We’ve spent almost 1/4 of a century ‘trying’ to move to a new ground
1878 have only had their feet under the table 18 months and are steadying a ship that was on par with the Mary Celeste
The benign one will soon be paid off
We don’t know what’s going on in the background

I’ve often wondered if the obsession with a new ground has become part of the fan base because it was the only thing Fenty seemed to go on about so it became part of our psyche.

We’ve owners who will monitor attendances, look to make improvements before just spaffing cash on a stadium. If attendances remain stable and consistent then yes, we need to explore options (they’re already doing this, they’ve told us but apparently that’s seemingly not enough for some).

In the same way our home attendances early on will be relatively high, our away followings have already taken a hit.  It wasn’t a challenge getting an Orient ticket, same for Rochdale. There’s various factors for that but I’d imagine what the club actually want is a consistent attendance at home games that is 6k plus…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 71
HerveJosse
August 8, 2022, 10:11am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Yep. And maybe for say the Swindon game - most back from holiday, trains not so fecked up (hopefully) ST holders getting more used to releasing their seat if they cant use it - and more people looking for released seats, we might find that the attendance gets closer to tickets sold. I think tickets sold yesterday would have been circa 7,400/7,500 depending on whether the corporates in the Upper were not sold or no shows.

Capacity stated as 9200 and repeated by CEO when stating there would be room for everyone
Northampton unsold 430
Leaves 8770
Home tickets available to buy Nil
Your estimate tickets sold 7400/7500 seems reasonable given attendance less empty seats in home areas
What’s the missing 1300?

Same sort of number crops up repeatedly in any logical analysis of the subject .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 71
pen penfras
August 8, 2022, 10:32am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from HerveJosse

Capacity stated as 9200 and repeated by CEO when stating there would be room for everyone
Northampton unsold 430
Leaves 8770
Home tickets available to buy Nil
Your estimate tickets sold 7400/7500 seems reasonable given attendance less empty seats in home areas
What’s the missing 1300?

Same sort of number crops up repeatedly in any logical analysis of the subject .

Away end is 1200 and they bought 500, so that's 700.
Main stand had a big block of a hundred or so seats behind the dugouts empty and you could see a lot more red seats dotted about that looked like they said reserved on.
Somebody said back couple of Osmond rows were empty.
Corporates had lots empty.
Could see plenty of seats in the ponny.
Several people saw lots of empty seats in the upper near to them.

I thought there were more than 1000 empty seats including away end, and if the upper had as many empty as it sounds like, 9200 is about right
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 71
HerveJosse
August 8, 2022, 10:38am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from pen penfras

Away end is 1200 and they bought 500, so that's 700.
Main stand had a big block of a hundred or so seats behind the dugouts empty and you could see a lot more red seats dotted about that looked like they said reserved on.
Somebody said back couple of Osmond rows were empty.
Corporates had lots empty.
Could see plenty of seats in the ponny.
Several people saw lots of empty seats in the upper near to them.

I thought there were more than 1000 empty seats including away end, and if the upper had as many empty as it sounds like, 9200 is about right

Maths not your strong point there would need to be 2100 empty seats iincluding away end  for 9200 capacity and 7100 attendance to reconcile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 71
jamesgtfc
August 8, 2022, 10:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,966
Gold Stars: 190
I know of a few people who work most weekends but have purchased a season ticket for those few weekend games they can make plus the midweeks.

I think the ticket system needs developing further. The first thing that needs doing is to stop people buying one ticket in the middle of 3 available seats. Buy an end one so a parent and child can potentially have those 2.

If people are going to give up their season ticket as they can't attend, there needs to be an incentive for them to do it but there also needs to be a clear criteria for when it can be implemented and that should be before a sell-out. I think a fair incentive is that fans release their season tickets and get a £5 credit towards the cost of next seasons season ticket once their seat has been purchased. In theory, this would encourage people to declare their non-attendance sooner as the longer you leave it, the less likely the club are to sell your seat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 71
DB
August 8, 2022, 12:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from DB
The problem when you look at the situation is that the tickets sold will never equal the attendance figure. Whether the ticket is an ST or bought the day before people may not attend for a host of reasons.

Therefore the attendance figure will always be less unless there is an unusual circumstance Prem Team in a cup etc. However, the good news is that the club receives revenue from the tickets sold; the bad news is that fans who don't have an ST may not be able to buy a ticket on the day.

This problem has only come to the surface this year and I am sure John, Andrew and Debbie will do their utmost to maximise the club's income from match days.

Apologies to all I meant Jason of course.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 71
Limerick Mariner
August 8, 2022, 12:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,701
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I know of a few people who work most weekends but have purchased a season ticket for those few weekend games they can make plus the midweeks.

I think the ticket system needs developing further. The first thing that needs doing is to stop people buying one ticket in the middle of 3 available seats. Buy an end one so a parent and child can potentially have those 2.

If people are going to give up their season ticket as they can't attend, there needs to be an incentive for them to do it but there also needs to be a clear criteria for when it can be implemented and that should be before a sell-out. I think a fair incentive is that fans release their season tickets and get a £5 credit towards the cost of next seasons season ticket once their seat has been purchased. In theory, this would encourage people to declare their non-attendance sooner as the longer you leave it, the less likely the club are to sell your seat.

Good post - I think this is really important. Do we have a fanbase with a higher proportion of people like this, and the converse, exiles that can do all Saturdays but not midweeks, than other clubs? Probably. In which case GTFC need to adapt the ticketing system to reflect this. There are so few unrestricted seats available now that I agree this should be implemented when a certain ticket sales point is achieved and not a full sell-out. This will incentivise STH to renew. Blundell Park was ill-suited to all-seater conversion - probably the most ill-suited in the football league at the time, and even the newest part is poorly designed. Therefore we should adapt the ticketing system accordingly. Walk-up fans shouldn't have to sit in restricted view seats (and I include the back rows of the Main and Osmond in this, even though they are not designated as such) when there are better seats not being used by STH.

With the Osmond corner open home ticket sales of about 6.5k would be the threshold.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 71
DB
August 8, 2022, 12:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I don't where 9,200 capacity came from the club state the official capacity as 9,031 on their website.

https://gtfc.co.uk/visitors/

Seating at Blundell Park

Blundell Park has a capacity of 9,031 and is an all seater, no smoking stadium.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 71
Limerick Mariner
August 8, 2022, 1:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,701
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from DB
I don't where 9,200 capacity came from the club state the official capacity as 9,031 on their website.

https://gtfc.co.uk/visitors/

Seating at Blundell Park

Blundell Park has a capacity of 9,031 and is an all seater, no smoking stadium.

And now add up the capacities of the individual stands from the same link (8,777). I rest my case - biggest ever crowd for all seater is 8,450 v Northampton. 8,777 less no-shows, plus empty seats behind the dugouts. Can we just stop this now - the useable / saleable capacity of BP in its current form is not 9,031 and never has been, despite what Debbie said.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 71
DB
August 8, 2022, 2:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

And now add up the capacities of the individual stands from the same link (8,777). I rest my case - biggest ever crowd for all seater is 8,450 v Northampton. 8,777 less no-shows, plus empty seats behind the dugouts. Can we just stop this now - the useable / saleable capacity of BP in its current form is not 9,031 and never has been, despite what Debbie said.

Don't shoot the messenger, take it up with the club and tell them they're wrong.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attendance Yesterday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.