8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Garth
December 12, 2021, 9:36am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
I'll admit that it's looking serious atm, but we're not getting tonked, it could easily go our way with the right transfer window in January.
For those that want a manager change, it's far too early for that, we don't want to go the Big not, Hollow way do we? At least the start of the season showed more than promise, it could start again.Dont panic
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 76
barralad
December 12, 2021, 9:43am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If you accept the stats, what about the direction of travel? Downhill very rapidly.

And the negative selection? We were top of the league and scoring for fun 6 weeks ago and yesterday we set up hoping for a 0-0.

Something must have happened. The change is palpable and it seems that this season is almost done already. I’m happy to be proved wrong.

The trouble is that if Hurst had set us up to go for an all out attacking performance and we'd been mullered this board would have been equally as angry (and in some cases the same people.) In the real world Hurst didn't have available to him the players to put in that level of attacking performance for a variety of reasons. I and many others would have taken a 0-0 draw yesterday to "stop the rot".

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 76
HertsGTFC
December 12, 2021, 9:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
I guess my view is that if we where to change the manager would it enable us to finish top of the league and get automatic promotion, I doubt it to be honest as the quality in the squad does not run deep enough and that is one of the reasons that we're in in this bad run.

The technical quality is not there and in the case of a few of the players neither is the ability to sustain a good level of performance week in week out. I don't think it's an attitude or application issue it's juts they're not at the level that you need to win the league.

Would a new manager give us a guaranteed play off place? Maybe but looking at the level of spending and building the 10 or so clubs around us who probably quite rightly so believe they're contenders have been doing that's not a given either. It's the same answer in my mind for Paul Hurst.

The question is would a new manager get us back in the EFL quicker? Again I'm not sure you can establish that but constant change is not a good thing, look down the A180 you've got a perfect example.

From what I've seen of our opponents this season if we want to get up in the foreseeable future we need to spend more money on the team and the wider squad as this is how you get better players, which is the same story at every level of team sport where participants get paid.  

Regardless of who the manager is the current squad is not at a level to expect us to win the league or in my view be potential play off winners. Personally I don't think throwing £250K plus £3K a week type spending is the right thing to do now especially in a world where we could (I hope not) end up playing behind closed doors again.

All I expected from the new owners was to come in and breathe a bit of positivity into the club, put some fresh ideas in flight and make a start on the massive task of building some infrastructure back in, so far so good in my view. Alongside this I expected them to have a long term strategy which I would assume includes pay off Fenty then seek some more serious investors as my believe is you can't do one without the other, once this is done I'd expect more spending on players.

JS and AP will have a very clear idea of what success looks like this season, if the manager achieves that then simple he'll be here next season never mind next month. Paul Hurst knows the current run isn't good enough is he the man to halt the slide? Well we'll see, personally I think the defeats will stop if he gets his best 11 out for a week or two that generally happens regardless.

The final bit is that I think (and it's just my view) in the mind of the owners getting in the play off's will be success up until yesterday I was confident of that but I'm not sure now, personally if we don't make the play off's then calling for changing the manager is the right question but until we get to that stage I'm confident of one thing and that is Paul Hurst will be going nowhere.            

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 76
oochiad
December 12, 2021, 9:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,716
Gold Stars: 28
Goodness me, I’m a little speechless reading all the rubbish on here……was I at a different game yesterday? We were certainly the better team, a team that was clearly playing for their manager and supporters who were not second best to the ball as some have said. Mcatee in yesterday’s squad and we would have won…..don’t panic and have patience as we are still in a good position with plenty to play for. Ffs even JT on the radio saw that we deserved more yesterday……UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 76
HertsGTFC
December 12, 2021, 9:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from barralad

The trouble is that if Hurst had set us up to go for an all out attacking performance and we'd been mullered this board would have been equally as angry (and in some cases the same people.) In the real world Hurst didn't have available to him the players to put in that level of attacking performance for a variety of reasons. I and many others would have taken a 0-0 draw yesterday to "stop the rot".

Agree with this overall my frustration is that why bring on LJL for Taylor? A like for like change achieved nothing when the mid field where running around like headless chickens and the CB's bypassing them and trying to hoof it long to the two up front. We had a couple of players who have skill on the bench and sticking them on for the last 15 mins maybe just maybe would have given Chesterfield something to think about. The manager set the players up to stop Chesterfield scoring and they failed to do that, does the blame sit with the manager or the players? Personally I think the latter should take a bit of accountability for the goal as we didn't stop their danger man getting to the ball which had to be the first objective at any set piece.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 76
golfer
December 12, 2021, 11:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
Hurst has hardly played 2 proper strikers together since Bogle and Amond.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 76
aldi_01
December 12, 2021, 11:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
If people believe the nonsense of ‘they’re not playing for the manager’ then they must’ve watched yesterdays game with their eyes closed and with the intent to stick to their own anti Hurst narrative.

If we’d gone all out attack and got twatted, he’d have been lambasted, probably by those moaning that he went defensive and tried to stop the rot. It was lose lose in some respects.

A plethora of things have happened at once, just be thankful we did fly out the blocks and we did put those poorer teams to bed and rack up some points.

Changing the manager is unlikely to see us win the league and will likely see us finish in a similar position to what we will with hurst…it’s no coincidence that in the last 20 years the only success and on pitch improvements have come when we didn’t keep chopping and changing the manager, that manager then left because of incompetent ownership and here we find ourselves, multiple incompetent managers later…

I know people are precious Becauee he dared call our fans and they’re beyond offended that he cupped his ear but in truth, of all the man babies cryarsing about Hurst, none can provide a credible or logical solution…

It’s a excrement run, we’re still only 7 from top but it’s a excrement run but nobody is denying that but the way some are shooting their load to chastise Hurst or the side is tiresome…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 76
Zmariner
December 12, 2021, 1:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree with this overall my frustration is that why bring on LJL for Taylor? A like for like change achieved nothing when the mid field where running around like headless chickens and the CB's bypassing them and trying to hoof it long to the two up front. We had a couple of players who have skill on the bench and sticking them on for the last 15 mins maybe just maybe would have given Chesterfield something to think about. The manager set the players up to stop Chesterfield scoring and they failed to do that, does the blame sit with the manager or the players? Personally I think the latter should take a bit of accountability for the goal as we didn't stop their danger man getting to the ball which had to be the first objective at any set piece.  

I am not in the anti Hurst brigade but I thought that we completely lacked guile and quality yesterday and did not look like scoring. Nobody could beat a man and for me it was like watching paint dry with the loss having an air of inevitability. We looked like a team of cloggers , big lads doing their best. Bell was the the only real quality and he is not our player. I would give PH a few more games as too early to pull the trigger but I have lost all confidence in him and in truth not really forgiven how abysmal he was last season.
Not bothered about next week but would give him 4 more games. No wins in that run and no manager survives a run like that
utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 76
TownSNAFU5
December 12, 2021, 2:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Not sure if this was posted.

If we had started the season with a few defeats and then had a run of wins, the perception of our current position would be different.  The actual league position would be the same.

The Board said that Hurst would be here in the long term.  Maybe an unwise and naive comment from new owners.

3 of us had a chat after the game,  we wanted Hurst to stay as manager this season.  Strengthen in Jan and the summer.  (Funds are still invested in players not playing). Probably end up in the lottery of the playoffs this season.

Next season we would be better.  Like Chesterfield, improve the squad.  No expensive striker but Hurst has found diamonds before.

McAtee has been about half the team.  When he is back we should improve. The risk to Hurst staying is the pressure from fans if we fall and remain in the lower half of the league.  That would be toxic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 76
Abdul19
December 12, 2021, 3:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from golfer
Hurst has hardly played 2 proper strikers together since Bogle and Amond.

He started Green and Jackson v Port Vale last season  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC Form Reality Check

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.