Gaffer58
December 12, 2021, 3:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from NorthLondonMariner
Bit of perspective. Yes, we need to strengthen in jan, and we all know where. But calling for the manager's head is stupid, I mean come on! whos going to replace him? then how much time will they take to build their team? In my opinion, it would be the most counterproductive thing we could do.

Also, only 4 teams in the league have won more games than us, only 6 have scored more goals than us, only 6 have a better goal difference than us. We have won the same amount of games in our first 19 this season as we did in all 46 last season.

Let us not panic. Get behind the team and manager and see what happens in Jan.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 76
Gaffer58
December 12, 2021, 3:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31

Also, only 4 teams in the league have won more games than us, only 6 have scored more goals than us, only 6 have a better goal difference than us. We have won the same amount of games in our first 19 this season as we did in all 46 last season.

So basically from those figures we expect to finish 5/6 and in the lottery of the playoffs. For some that may be ok but in this league I would expect to be finishing 1/3.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 76
rancido
December 12, 2021, 4:31pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from chaos33
Ooh look at you, eager to dive in Denni.
Understand the original post - statistically really concerning, but, as many people know from their jobs - statistics are nothing without narrative and context. Fully respect people who say they think Hurst should go, but feel that the context and the narrative tell you more than the bare stats quoted above. Today was very nearly a draw, as was Notts county and Dagenham and most of the other defeats were very fine margins. Injuries/illness and suspensions have been and are now, a real issue.

We are without some key players and there was a commitment and effort visible today that would, personally, make me want to persevere as I feel that this is a very competitive squad and Hurst a very good manager. Little point in going all ‘daggers drawn’ and dramatic and alarmist in my view. I’d prefer to ride this out and back the club even though I acknowledge that the bare stats/results would put any manager under pressure and the league position and form is very much a disappointment and significantly below the standard we have set in early season and what we should rightly be striving for/expect.

Who was it said "there are lies, damned lies and statistics"?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 76
TownSNAFU5
December 12, 2021, 5:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Civvy, you haven’t been to the North Pole but you know that is very cold there.  Similar to the top of the UpperFindus in winter,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 76
RonMariner
December 12, 2021, 5:43pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,658
Gold Stars: 226
Six of the seven recent defeats have been by a single goal. It's not as if we are getting thumped each time. If we had a player like Tshimanga we would probably have salvaged a few draws maybe even a couple of wins from those games.

We have known all season that we needed a decent striker. It is imperative that we get one in January.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 76
MuddyWaters
December 12, 2021, 5:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from RonMariner
Six of the seven recent defeats have been by a single goal. It's not as if we are getting thumped each time. If we had a player like Tshimanga we would probably have salvaged a few draws maybe even a couple of wins from those games.

We have known all season that we needed a decent striker. It is imperative that we get one in January.

By which time it will be way too late. Especially as we could have signed Tshimanga.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 76
RonMariner
December 12, 2021, 5:46pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

By which time it will be way too late. Especially as we could have signed Tshimanga.

Nothing we can do about that now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 76
MuddyWaters
December 12, 2021, 5:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from RonMariner

Nothing we can do about that now.

Absolutely agree, but no one can say we didn’t have the opportunity. Having said that, Hurst may have turned him into a defensive midfielder by now 😉
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 76
RonMariner
December 12, 2021, 8:44pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Absolutely agree, but no one can say we didn’t have the opportunity. Having said that, Hurst may have turned him into a defensive midfielder by now 😉

Yes, we should have gone all out to sign him. He was clearly a fabulous goal scorer. As soon as I heard Chesterfield had signed him I thought it was terrible news for us. I wonder how many points his goals have earned for them, including three yesterday.

When is the last time we splashed out big money on a player?  We did in 1998 and look at the result. Two Wembley wins.

You can't win titles on the cheap. Will we never learn?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 76
ska face
December 12, 2021, 8:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,640
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from RonMariner

As soon as I heard Chesterfield had signed him I thought it was terrible news for us. I wonder how many points his goals have earned for them, including three yesterday.

18 points won just thanks to his goals. 5 wins, 3 draws.

Amazing really.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC Form Reality Check

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.