White_shorts
June 16, 2023, 6:29pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from ska face
The Keepmoat and all other indentikit, flat-packed non-descript, soulless grounds should be kept as far away from a community institution like GTFC as possible.

I'm still not ready to let that statement go.

Let's imagine for one crazy moment the club was able to demolish some houses and the council gave permission for redevelopment.  Would you be happy with a Keepmoat on the site of Blundell Park?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 72
grimsby pete
June 16, 2023, 6:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Who cares what the stadium would look like from the outside.

As long as every seat had an perfect view of the pitch.

Looking at the ships in the humber would be a bonus.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 72
TownSNAFU5
June 16, 2023, 7:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Sorry, FAC first round replay was our 3-2 win at Chesterfield in 1979.  (Not the 2nd round as I said).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 72
White_shorts
June 26, 2023, 6:16pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
You witter on about a new stadium more than Fenty…

If it meant pissing in a latrine for ever and a day rather then playing in an identikit soulless breeze block barn then yes, I’d take that.

Some people here are passionate about team selection and formation.  I am passionate about stadium design.

It was a mistake to build a stand twice the height of the rest of the ground.  There are now many generations of Town fans who think the matchday experience should involve gazing at the estuary for ninety minutes.

I suspect Tom Shutes was brought up watching matches from the Upper, as he was planning to make the same mistake with his docks stadium.  For maximum reverberation and atmosphere, all four stands should be the same height.

You must realise the club can't compete in the Championship and aim for the Premier League if it stays at Blundell Park.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 72
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 26, 2023, 6:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,842
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from White_shorts

Some people here are passionate about team selection and formation.  I am passionate about stadium design.

It was a mistake to build a stand twice the height of the rest of the ground.  There are now many generations of Town fans who think the matchday experience should involve gazing at the estuary for ninety minutes.

I suspect Tom Shutes was brought up watching matches from the Upper, as he was planning to make the same mistake with his docks stadium.  For maximum reverberation and atmosphere, all four stands should be the same height.

You must realise the club can't compete in the Championship and aim for the Premier League if it stays at Blundell Park.

Although I tend to agree with a fair amount of this, I do believe that the prerequisite of any ground is soul. Facilities of course within the ground have to be a sufficient standard (toilets, food, shops etc)  as football choice has changed over the years.

What I do like the idea of is when all stands are joined, THIS creates the reverberation and atmosphere although it also helps of course if the home team are winning!

The problem is, for years everything about the club has been neglected (both on and off the pitch) and we’re now playing catch up in every dept. Of course everyone would like a brand new stadium or brand new stands but this isn’t going to happen overnight but am sure that it is being looked at in detail when or should the day should arise. Let’s face it, it’s better than a pie in the sky white elephant.

There is of course the argument that building a new stadium will bring fans in ten fold or the counter argument that it could take any funds away from the playing side. What I do have though is faith in 1878 not to derail the club by spaffing £££££ needlessly and without consideration

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 72
DB
June 26, 2023, 8:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from White_shorts

Luton did at Kenilworth Road

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 72
ska face
June 26, 2023, 8:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from White_shorts

I'm still not ready to let that statement go.

Let's imagine for one crazy moment the club was able to demolish some houses and the council gave permission for redevelopment.  Would you be happy with a Keepmoat on the site of Blundell Park?

If you’d just like to go along with these gentlemen, I’m sure they’ll be able to expand on my post from December 2021.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/FRDtFrS1/IMG-9360.png[/img]
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 72
Jackal
June 26, 2023, 11:44pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +211
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from joe56

Like a number of other clubs, we stole the famous “Pompey Chimes” from Portsmouth: “I-O Pompey, Pompey I-O”. Still, not as bad as Liverpool plagiarising the Blaydon Races and singing of “Bill Shankly’s Aces”!

I think the original words words were Play up Pompey, Pompey play up so we changed it a little bit. But yes we did steal it as did a lot of club’s fans.

I was at that match shown against Millwall standing in the pontoon in my Parker coat.
Notice how Mick Brolly scampered down the wing. He had a habit of just standing still on the edge of the pitch as I’m sure he knew he blended into the crowd with all the black and white so the opposition lost sight of him in their peripheral vision.
Joe Waters knew where Mick was all the time and often looked like he’d kicked the ball away until Mick started moving.
Really simple tactic but it worked.
That was the team who could beat anyone on their day.
Fantastic memories.

The Everton win was sublime. I couldn’t get in the Pontoon that game so ended up in the Osmond open corner packed in like a sardine and often being lifted off my feet. . Turned out perfectly though as I got a great view of the goals.
Losing the open corners makes the ground look a bit disjointed that’s true but on a wet windy day it was an area you definitely didn’t want to be in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 72
White_shorts
July 21, 2023, 4:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from ska face
The Keepmoat and all other indentikit, flat-packed non-descript, soulless grounds should be kept as far away from a community institution like GTFC as possible.

How about a 20k stadium like Swansea?  They have an 8-row lower tier, mid-level wheelchair spaces and a 16-row upper tier.  That's similar to the Findus Stand.

https://www.bing.com/images/se.....&vt=0&sim=11

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 72
mimma
July 21, 2023, 4:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
It's not the stadium that makes the atmosphere, it's the fans inside.  BP has three wide open corners but can be rocking when we play well. It can also be dead when we don't!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › BP back in the day

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.