White_shorts
June 21, 2022, 5:41pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from ska face
The Keepmoat and all other indentikit, flat-packed non-descript, soulless grounds should be kept as far away from a community institution like GTFC as possible.

I'm sorry, but that is a bizarre statement to make. Let me guess: you think the Keepmoat is soulless because it doesn't have one stand twice the height of the rest of the ground.

The top of the Pontoon Stand is roughly the same height as the first row of the upper Findus.  If Town had a new stadium like Donny, then the view from the back row will be about the same as upper row E. That is plenty high enough.

You should not need to sit 35 rows above the pitch to enjoy a game of football.

You certainly don't need to see the estuary from inside the ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 72
White_shorts
June 21, 2022, 5:43pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Give it a rest now.

I'll give it a rest when the new stadium is built.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 72
toontown
June 21, 2022, 6:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from grimps
I used to love going in the Osmand stand whenever I got chance in the 80s and 90s .
The acoustics in there are great and when the corner was standing it made a great atmosphere .
I was in there against Spurs when we have them the corner and Town had the rest of the stand , they still had 1800 just in that corner on those days , I think the crowd was nearly 18000.

When I sit in the Main stand these days I still look at that small bit of terrace left in the osmand corner and wish it was still allowed to be used

Yeah osmond acoustics are definitely the best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 72
Limerick Mariner
June 22, 2022, 11:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,703
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from grimps
I used to love going in the Osmand stand whenever I got chance in the 80s and 90s .
The acoustics in there are great and when the corner was standing it made a great atmosphere .
I was in there against Spurs when we have them the corner and Town had the rest of the stand , they still had 1800 just in that corner on those days , I think the crowd was nearly 18000.

When I sit in the Main stand these days I still look at that small bit of terrace left in the osmand corner and wish it was still allowed to be used

There was alot more than 1800 in that corner when Sheffield Utd came in the FA Cup in 79. They had the whole Osmond and I reckon there was getting on for 5k packed in that day.

Similar amount in 83 when Wednesday came on Boxing Day - in fact that day I think they had to open the gates and let some in for free, scary really looking back.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 72
White_shorts
January 4, 2023, 5:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from ska face
The Keepmoat and all other indentikit, flat-packed non-descript, soulless grounds should be kept as far away from a community institution like GTFC as possible.

That statement still rankles with me.  Are you saying the Keepmoat is soulless because it isn't surrounded by houses?  A stadium with community facilities must have a fully accessible perimeter.

A ground at Freeman Street, whether it is an enclosed bowl or four separate stands, would not be soulless.  Freemo is a chance to have a smart new arena with a similar matchday atmosphere to Blundell Park.  Alas, Stockwood and Pettit appear to have made no comment about that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 72
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 4, 2023, 6:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,839
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

There was alot more than 1800 in that corner when Sheffield Utd came in the FA Cup in 79. They had the whole Osmond and I reckon there was getting on for 5k packed in that day.

Similar amount in 83 when Wednesday came on Boxing Day - in fact that day I think they had to open the gates and let some in for free, scary really looking back.

Largest that I can really remember in the osmond are that Tottenham game and Stoke in 91. Pretty sure Bolton (opening day 3-3) rammed it too.

I always thought the pontoon and osmond were really weird having a few rows of seats until I started going away to games and realising that other grounds weren’t the same as ours.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 72
ska face
January 4, 2023, 6:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from White_shorts

That statement still rankles with me.  Are you saying the Keepmoat is soulless because it isn't surrounded by houses?  A stadium with community facilities must have a fully accessible perimeter.

A ground at Freeman Street, whether it is an enclosed bowl or four separate stands, would not be soulless.  Freemo is a chance to have a smart new arena with a similar matchday atmosphere to Blundell Park.  Alas, Stockwood and Pettit appear to have made no comment about that.

The post was made in December 2021. It is now January 2023. I recommend that you seek help at the earliest opportunity.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 72
aldi_01
January 4, 2023, 7:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from White_shorts

I'm sorry, but that is a bizarre statement to make. Do you not like how all the stands are the same height, so spectators concentrate on the pitch rather than the surrounding landscape?

The top of the Pontoon Stand is roughly the same height as the first row of the upper Findus.  If Town had a new stadium like Donny, then the view from the back row will be about the same as upper row E. That is plenty high enough.

You should not need to sit 35 rows above the pitch to enjoy a game of football.

You certainly don't need to see the estuary from inside the ground.

flipping hell, you witter on about a new stadium more than Fenty…

If it meant pissing in a latrine for ever and a day rather then playing in an identikit soulless breeze block barn then yes, I’d take that.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 72
Limerick Mariner
January 4, 2023, 7:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from oochiad
Was that the year Millwall tried to take the Pontoon? They didn’t last long, about twenty of them in green parkers if I remember rightly? Anyone else remember that or is my mind getting confused?

That was mid 70s - the stories circulated amongst lads older than me, from Brigg, who claimed they were involved...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 72
Limerick Mariner
January 4, 2023, 7:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Indeed.
If I could have a 15k stadium of choice it would be based on Northampton Saints RFC - a big side stand with paddock terracing and big stand at one end, the rest low but fully enclosed - keeps the noise in really well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › BP back in the day

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.