November 20, 2021, 5:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from joe56

Reminds me of Ray Wilkins😉

Ray Wilkins, playing for QPR.....best individual display of footballing class I've seen at blundell park, closely followed by anything Garry Birtles did.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 80
Limerick Mariner
November 20, 2021, 5:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I was at that game Dave, I was stood in the pontoon, West Ham where brilliant that day.

Nah, they were lucky, if Bobby Cumming hadn't been sent off (imagine that - he'd never normally even commit a foul) we'd have done them...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 80
joe56
November 20, 2021, 5:33pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from DB

I was once told that if somebody made there job look easy then they are very professional. In 1981 I saw Trevor Brooking play against Town at BP but he hardly run during the game. He had a fantastic game and didn't break sweat. Professionals do the right thing at the right time.

I saw Brooking play against Leeds early in his career when he was virtually unknown. He was the best player on the pitch, and, as you say, he didn’t appear to break sweat. It was all vision, skill and subtlety. As I recall, however, he didn’t slow the game down, rely on the easy square ball or pass it back to a defender very often.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 80
Maringer
November 20, 2021, 5:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,497
Gold Stars: 185
I personally didn't think that Coke was all that bad. He won some headers, won some tackles, didn't lose the ball much and wasn't bypassed too often. However, he is slow in possession, not positive on the ball and looks a little off the pace at the moment. I reckon players of his age need to be playing all the time to be at their best and he's not a first choice this season. A year too far for him, perhaps? As a back up on the bench probably still OK, but you wouldn't want to see him as a first choice, the way he's playing. Probably much the same as LJL in that regard at present.

I was disappointed by Hunt once again. He tried to force the play a couple of times but his passing wasn't good enough on the day and, if he's going to play, he needs to be getting on the ball more and trying to run the game. I think he'll probably play better with McAtee back in the team as the fast and close passing hopefully comes back, but longer term he needs to be able to do more if he's going to make it higher up the leagues. I'd say the lads we had on loan from Sunderland the other year were more effective in general and that was at a division higher as well.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 80
joe56
November 20, 2021, 5:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Phil the cod

Ray Wilkins, playing for QPR.....best individual display of footballing class I've seen at blundell park, closely followed by anything Garry Birtles did.

I wouldn’t disagree with that, but, during his spell at Manchester United, he didn’t have the nickname “Square Ball Ray” for nothing!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 80
Lincspoacher
November 20, 2021, 5:46pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +303
Gold Stars: 15
Can see my comments re Coke rankled with a few, but only saying what I saw.

I played 9 seasons in the conference and NPL and whilst this makes me no more of an expert than anyone else or my opinion more valued, it does mean I know when a player is not working his butt off to close down, find space and put himself in positions where he takes the ball and responsibility.

In that respect, I stand by my assessment that he coasted through the game and did the minimum - consciously.

Fox, Hunt, Sousa worked there arses off in comparison.

A big week for us with 9 points to play for. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 80
friskneymariner
November 20, 2021, 7:30pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from grimsby pete
After a long day with a family funeral in the morning a very interesting wake at the Valiant  

A long journey home with loads of traffic problems I was happy to see us break our losing run.

Not the best game but Southend never looked like scoring.

So happy we won and hoping the result will kick us on and get us back on track.

A note on their striker who never stopped moaning to the ref all game.  

Murphy was a complete cheat and he kept drinking from Macca's bottle of water ,how does that fit in Covoid protocols.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 80
mimma
November 20, 2021, 7:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,566
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Nah, they were lucky, if Bobby Cumming hadn't been sent off (imagine that - he'd never normally even commit a foul) we'd have done them...

Are we talking about the 5-0 thrashing?  If you are Cumming was injured and had to go off, we had already used our one sub,, so had to see out the game with 10 men. If my memory is not playing games with me, I seem to remember they scored 3 or 4 after he went off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 80
TownSNAFU5
November 20, 2021, 8:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
In 1981 West Ham were class at BP.   Deserved champions with a high points total.  7 or 8 players  in the team of th clear.

Town were outstanding but well beaten on the day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 80
Les Brechin
November 20, 2021, 8:34pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
In 1981 West Ham were class at BP.   Deserved champions with a high points total.  7 or 8 players  in the team of th clear.

Town were outstanding but well beaten on the day.

It was fairly close to the end of the season and I think we'd only conceded  4 goals at home all season and they put 5 past us.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 ÂŁ16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED ÂŁ170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.