Lincoln Mariner 56
November 20, 2021, 11:02am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from HertsGTFC

The overall performance level would suggest that he wasn’t the only one who had a mixed evening.

As I said in a previous post Hunt was certainly not at his best and both Fox and Clifton seemed to be playing in roles that didn’t suit their particular strengths. I feel the comments on Coke are probably reflecting the fact that since he started playing more regularly we have been losing matches and when like last night we did win our play lacked that early season spark and pace. There will be a number of reasons for this including McAtee’s absence, teams sussing us out and a dip in form but it is pretty evident that Coke’s performances are also a factor hence why I recommended last night we try and recruit a younger version of him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 80
Rodley Mariner
November 20, 2021, 11:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from mariner91

I'm not sure it is ludicrous to question why we laboured to a win at home against one of the worst teams in the league. I wouldn't say he conned his way through the game, the effort is there but his lack of mobility, his poor link up with the other midfielders and his slowing down of the game, often needlessly, makes us a far less impressive outfit.

It is ludicrous to talk about him conning his way through the game or to blame all that was poor last night on him. And it's unfair and unnecessarily disrespectful. Hunt gave the ball away more and in dangerous positions a couple of times. When everyone is fit Coke wouldn't be in my team. I completely agree that sometimes he slows play down and his age is showing. I also agree with Herts that this board does tend to have one or two under 'focus' at any given time and every error and mistake they make is then picked up and highlighted so it starts to feel like they're playing far worse than in reality they are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 80
Hagrid
November 20, 2021, 11:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,389
Gold Stars: 534
Coke Played at Home to Barnet, Wrexham, Torquay- so it isnt fair to say he played no part in the winning run btw
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 80
monkeyboy
November 20, 2021, 11:58am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
I think coke was very poor last night. Seemed to wonder around not particularly marking anyone and not really doing anything with the ball. Game was played around him.
Not making him a scapegoat at all by I am going to question whether his legs have gone.
Hunt needs someone a bit more dominant next to him so he can concentrate on creating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 80
aldi_01
November 20, 2021, 12:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Poor game, town had a key chance and took it…I’ll take it to stop the rot.

We won’t be happy with our performance but in truth, in the second half, on balance we probably should’ve had a couple more.

For me, when Mcatee is fully fit, Coke is the one sacrificed. I’m the short time Fox dropped back in to midfield when Mcatee came in he looked 100% better.

Interesting that on occasions folk around me moaned when it appeared Hunt gave the ball away when in truth the issue was fine; the players just didn’t read it…

Last night had the hallmarks of a side desperate for a win to stop the rot…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 80
MuddyWaters
November 20, 2021, 12:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Coke’s passing is largely sideways and very safe, Hunt attempts to move the ball quickly and more progressively. I know which I prefer.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 80
HertsGTFC
November 20, 2021, 12:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

As I said in a previous post Hunt was certainly not at his best and both Fox and Clifton seemed to be playing in roles that didn’t suit their particular strengths. I feel the comments on Coke are probably reflecting the fact that since he started playing more regularly we have been losing matches and when like last night we did win our play lacked that early season spark and pace. There will be a number of reasons for this including McAtee’s absence, teams sussing us out and a dip in form but it is pretty evident that Coke’s performances are also a factor hence why I recommended last night we try and recruit a younger version of him.

Makes complete sense.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 80
grimsby pete
November 20, 2021, 1:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
After a long day with a family funeral in the morning a very interesting wake at the Valiant  

A long journey home with loads of traffic problems I was happy to see us break our losing run.

Not the best game but Southend never looked like scoring.

So happy we won and hoping the result will kick us on and get us back on track.

A note on their striker who never stopped moaning to the ref all game.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 80
mimma
November 20, 2021, 1:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
I think Southend look to be turning the corner after a bad start and looked a lot better team than their league position suggest. If we had played them earlier in the season I think we would have taken them to the cleaners. Expect them to be near the top at the end of the season. That's what makes this win more important.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 80
IrishMariner
November 20, 2021, 2:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from mimma
I think Southend look to be turning the corner after a bad start and looked a lot better team than their league position suggest. If we had played them earlier in the season I think we would have taken them to the cleaners. Expect them to be near the top at the end of the season. That's what makes this win more important.

I presume you mean nearer the top, rather than near the top. They'll definitely move up the table but I can't see them going near the top spots.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.