9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
lee65
November 19, 2021, 11:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
Well, I didn’t think it was as poor as some are saying, we played some nice stuff in fits and starts and should really have been 2 up early doors

It was quite tense as they looked like they could nick a goal, mainly by loading the box and putting balls in and around Macca from set pieces who again didn’t command his area too well at times.

Crookes was solid, and Waterfall and Pearson played well against two big physical forwards (without pace fortunately)  Efete was ok, but I feel if he doesn’t get back to supporting the attack more as he was in the early part of the season then Sears may be the better choice

In midfield, Fox was good, Hunt tried to create and always wanted the ball, and Clifton full of energy as ever.  I would love Coke to be the player he was last year but he seems well short so far, and is a bit of a passenger currently in my opinion

Ryan Taylor was MoTM for me, a leading the line performance that reminded me of Gary Jones, strong, clever, won every header, and can finish.
Sousa is an exciting enigma as commented on by many, but he is entertaining and frightens the opposition, if he was a great crosser and could shoot he’d be a Championship player so let’s just enjoy the fun bits

Great to see the cameo by McAtee, we have nothing else like him!

UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 80
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 19, 2021, 11:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Midfield needs sorting. Coke and Hunt doesn’t work, Fox needs to be back in there and not played out of position.

Tend to agree with this and feel that we need another midfield player who can play the Coke role at a faster pace with a little more attacking intent. Fox has been played in the number ten role in the last two home games and its just not worked plus he should have put us two up early in the game.

Defensively pretty sound although a couple of quick one twos and fast breaks from Southend in the first half looked quite dangerous and the offside decision may have prevented a penalty being awarded after Macca’s challenge. Think Hunt probably needs a short rest as he seems to be either getting caught in possession or playing the ball a little too quickly and losing accuracy as a result and like Towler playing in competitive matches may just be catching up with him. He’ll be back and maybe expecting him to be on top form week in week out is a little too much.

Still think we are two or three players short of a real title push but we should be fine for the play offs and a similar result to tonight’s at Solihull would set up a great match at BP next Saturday.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 80
HerveJosse
November 19, 2021, 11:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 143
Three points
Mcatee back.
Taylor superb.
Best to stop there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 80
MuddyWaters
November 19, 2021, 11:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Tend to agree with this and feel that we need another midfield player who can play the Coke role at a faster pace with a little more attacking intent. Fox has been played in the number ten role in the last two home games and its just not worked plus he should have put us two up early in the game.

Defensively pretty sound although a couple of quick one twos and fast breaks from Southend in the first half looked quite dangerous and the offside decision may have prevented a penalty being awarded after Macca’s challenge. Think Hunt probably needs a short rest as he seems to be either getting caught in possession or playing the ball a little too quickly and losing accuracy as a result and like Towler playing in competitive matches may just be catching up with him. He’ll be back and maybe expecting him to be on top form week in week out is a little too much.

Still think we are two or three players short of a real title push but we should be fine for the play offs and a similar result to tonight’s at Solihull would set up a great match at BP next Saturday.

I struggling to point the finger at Hunt. He seems to want to play at pace and Coke just goes sideways. I’d love to see us go genuine 433 with Hunt, Fox and Harry then Sousa, McAtee and Taylor.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 80
Norseman
November 19, 2021, 11:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +286
Gold Stars: 48
Think most players were ok tonight .Taylor up top very good .Waterfall and Pearson won everything at the back .Sousa some good runs without end product .Couldn't believe he took hunt off and left coke on .Who in my opinion was very poor
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 80
Northbank Mariner
November 20, 2021, 12:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
I'll take the 3 points, but we need to be better.
Pearson and Waterfall played well together, which surprised me as it's their first game together.
Crookes is such an underrated player, so steady and never gets flustered.
Taylor, well what can you say, immense tonight
Funnily enough Fox had a poor game up until the substitution, once Macatee came on(who doesn't love to see that) and he sat further back he looked so much better.
My MOM was Waterfall, it's like night and day comparing him to last season, he's been outstanding in every game and is becoming undroppable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 80
Limerick Mariner
November 20, 2021, 12:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I struggling to point the finger at Hunt. He seems to want to play at pace and Coke just goes sideways. I’d love to see us go genuine 433 with Hunt, Fox and Harry then Sousa, McAtee and Taylor.

I'd like to see McAtee a bit deeper in front of Clifton and Hunt in the Alan Pouton role, hopefully without the excessive bookings and sendings off. Taylor, Sousa in a free role and the new no 9...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 80
Stew0_0
November 20, 2021, 12:09am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
Gotta say that Pearson and Taylor were imense tonight and won the game for us at opposite ends of the field. However im a huge fan of crooksey and him back in the side for Revan repelled any aerial threat they had down the left. To me hes the most solid LB weve had since Danny Andrew and so important to the team.
Great to see Mcatee back, with better end product Sousa is a world above this level and think we limited Southend to 1 deflected shot on target all game.
Only 1 game but a step in the right direction ahead of a tough run of games.
Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 80
Tinymariner
November 20, 2021, 12:25am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
We needed Bapaga on the left, Sousa on the right, Clifton central midfield as he wasn’t great tonight on the wing. Coke wasn’t effective either tonight but it was a great 3 points, played better and lost, so I’m happy tonight.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 80
jamesgtfc
November 20, 2021, 12:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
First half especially the ground was so quiet, you could hear the players talking on the pitch.

I worried that we would rue hitting the side netting a few times but what a save from McKeown first half. The Southend 17 was a constant threat first half but fortunately I didn't really notice him second half.

Great performance from Taylor leading the line. The arrival of McAtee really lifted the atmosphere and he showed for the ball immediately. It's great to have him back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.