9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
November 20, 2021, 1:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,564
Gold Stars: 259
Taylor is a classy player and was by far the best player on the pitch.

I struggle to see what Coke brings. Slows us down, more often than not isn't an option to receive the ball from the defenders and his passing is slow, ponderous and invariably sideways. I don't think he's a good foil for Hunt either.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 80
lukeo
November 20, 2021, 1:46am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,293
Gold Stars: 134
Quoted from mariner91
Taylor is a classy player and was by far the best player on the pitch.

I struggle to see what Coke brings. Slows us down, more often than not isn't an option to receive the ball from the defenders and his passing is slow, ponderous and invariably sideways. I don't think he's a good foil for Hunt either.

Hate to say it but I agree.
For me if Mcatee is fit you have to drop Fox back next to hunt with Mactee in the 10 with Sousa/bapaga and Clifton either side.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 80
moosey_club
November 20, 2021, 2:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,195
Gold Stars: 224
3 points from a scruffy attacking, but solid defensive performance...
Let's see how the rest react tomorrow,  we have bagged our points, can they bag theirs?

UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 80
golfer
November 20, 2021, 7:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Norseman
Think most players were ok tonight .Taylor up top very good .Waterfall and Pearson won everything at the back .Sousa some good runs without end product .Couldn't believe he took hunt off and left coke on .Who in my opinion was very poor

Agree entirely. Maybe Hunt was tiring after doing a lot of Coke's work who nowadays looks bemused from the start -just aimless wanderings in no-mans land
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 80
Lincspoacher
November 20, 2021, 8:13am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +284
Gold Stars: 15
Firstly, a win is a win.

Defensively we were solid. Waterfall outstanding aerially.

Taylor held the ball up well and is a good national league striker to lead the line.

Sousa was the most dangerous player on the pitch and if he could complete better with a final ball  - will he wouldn’t be playing non league I guess then!

Fox was lost as a number 10. He is not a back to the goal player and struggled until he moved back into centre mid when they took Hunt off. He looked comfortable again immediately

My grip is Coke.

He conned his way through 90 mins with little effort, no impact and I do not see what he brings at all.

We are thin and lack depth but still up there and some reinforcements if Hursty selects well will be the difference or not in terms of staying with the top 2/3

Not a performance to make anyone sit up, but as I said, a win is a win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 80
HertsGTFC
November 20, 2021, 8:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,871
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Lincspoacher
Firstly, a win is a win.

Defensively we were solid. Waterfall outstanding aerially.

Taylor held the ball up well and is a good national league striker to lead the line.

Sousa was the most dangerous player on the pitch and if he could complete better with a final ball  - will he wouldn’t be playing non league I guess then!

Fox was lost as a number 10. He is not a back to the goal player and struggled until he moved back into centre mid when they took Hunt off. He looked comfortable again immediately

My grip is Coke.

He conned his way through 90 mins with little effort, no impact and I do not see what he brings at all.

We are thin and lack depth but still up there and some reinforcements if Hursty selects well will be the difference or not in terms of staying with the top 2/3

Not a performance to make anyone sit up, but as I said, a win is a win.

We won didn't we, why there f**k does there always have to be a scapegoat of some sort?  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 80
ska face
November 20, 2021, 8:39am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,530
Gold Stars: 832
Really, really happy with the win and clean sheet. Don’t think we ever looked troubled, all the play was in front of us and they only managed to eke out that one chance in the first half.

Agree with the comments above, and if we can all see what the issue is then Hurst definitely can.

Was surprised at how bad our ball retention was in midfield, especially with 4 central midfielders on the pitch. Almost no interplay between those in the middle of the park, and there wasn’t the energy across the middle to support the full backs or wingers when they needed an option - everyone seemed to be 15-20 yards from each other. It was only when McAtee came on that others started to push up and give an option for a short first time pass or lay off.

Bigger tests coming up in the next few weeks. Wonder if we’ll see a return to typical Hurst-like away performances from now on, looking to be more solid & nicking one. If we could turn a few away losses into draws we’d be sitting pretty.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 80
Rodley Mariner
November 20, 2021, 8:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from HertsGTFC

We won didn't we, why there f**k does there always have to be a scapegoat of some sort?  

Ludicrous isn't it? And if people want to make points about his lack of mobility or him slowing down play then fair enough but he's a highly respected pro with an excellent reputation so stuff about conning his way through 90 minutes is balderdash.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 80
quebec38
November 20, 2021, 8:56am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,576
Gold Stars: 48
People knocking Fox - he was filling in again last night in a position that isn’t natural to him so criticising him is harsh IMO. Don’t forget it was his endeavour that got the goal last night - chasing down the Pearson pass that looked to everyone else like it was going out of play.

When McAtee is back starting he will obviously slot straight in behind Taylor again.

Taylor - so good last night. Think everyone agrees he was MOTM.

Sousa - dangerous until the final element again. If he can somehow crack that then he will be a serious player. There can’t be many in this division that have the ability on the ball that Sousa does. He is a nightmare for defenders but needs to work on his composure in front of goal.

Defence was back to basics last night. Pearson not frightened to just get rid and did well alongside Waterfall. Harsh on Towler because I don’t think he’s been the problem but we did look more settled last night than we have for a few games. Efete the weakest of the 4 last night. I can’t remember him getting past Clifton once really all game. Maybe he wasn’t meant to, but IMO that is the strongest part of his game.

Midfield is a slight concern atm isn’t it. Hunt isn’t the same player he was a month ago and whilst he wasn’t bad at all last night, he just seems to be trying to force things a bit more than he was. Coke definitely is on the decline now which is a shame after last season.

Probably a 6 - 6.5 / 10 performance last night on the whole but a very welcome 3 points + Johnny Mac is back!
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 80
pontoonlew
November 20, 2021, 9:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,826
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Ludicrous isn't it? And if people want to make points about his lack of mobility or him slowing down play then fair enough but he's a highly respected pro with an excellent reputation so stuff about conning his way through 90 minutes is balderdash.

What’s ludicrous is the shutting down of people on a forum for an opinion. It may seem harsh but Coke has looked off the pace all season and I can’t understand how people can’t see that, we look a much better side without him and Hunt/Fox don’t look the same playing alongside him.

He may be a respected pro etc but we can’t afford passengers or sentiment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.