9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
November 19, 2021, 10:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Taylor head and shoulders above the rest. Clifton, Waterfall and Pearson decent. Sousa still an enigma. A win is a win.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 80
ginnywings
November 19, 2021, 10:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
A stop the rot performance but we were very disjointed after a bright start. Cool finish from Taylor and we just look an all round better team with him leading the line. He was the best player on the pitch by a distance. His intelligence, properly timed and weighted lay offs, coupled with him being a good finisher given the opportunities has made him a big miss of late.

McAtee came on to give the muted crowd a bit of a lift and we will need him and Taylor in this run of tough games we are about to embark on.

We looked nervy and edgy tonight and lost possession countless times. We had a few good situations but never made the most of them to get that second goal which would have made the players and fans a little more calm.

Having said that, Southend very rarely troubled our back line and you can see why they have only scored 11 goals all season.

Not much tonight to get you out of your seat, but three points and joint top, at least for tonight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 80
Posh Harry
November 19, 2021, 10:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,352
Gold Stars: 35
Back 4 solid although crookes looked to be caught for pace a couple of times near the end.

Clifton worked hard but not his best night, thought coke was poor. Hunt spread the play well and kept us ticking over especially in the last 15 of the first half.

Thought fox looked completely out of place trying to link up with Taylor and his first touch was poor but worked hard and clearly out of position.

Sousa looked so good and with a slightly better final ball we could have been out of sight, but if he could do that on a regular basis he wouldn’t be at our level.

Taylor by far MOM for me. Held the ball up superbly and brought others into the game.

Great to see JM back and don’t forget this was a side low on confidence after losing 4 on the trot, so I would take a scruffy 1-0 against anyone, every day of the week thank you very much.

Great to be able to look forward to the rest of the weekend with 3 points already under the belt. Enjoy your beer, wine, g&t or orange juice tonight and tomorrow, we all deserve it after the last few weeks.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 80
jimgtfc
November 19, 2021, 10:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 44
Scrappy 1-0 win will do for me! As others have said, Taylor was superb up top with little natural support around him. I say natural because Ben Fox is definitely not a number 10. Great to see Pearson back too, solid as ever at the back.

Oh and I had a prawn stuffed scotch quail egg! At a football match! Who knew that was a thing?!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 80
fishcake63
November 19, 2021, 10:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,224
Gold Stars: 62
Not great by any stretch but take it & move on to tuesday , positive for me both centre backs completly dominant & taylor's hold up & link play excellant , sousa good till he reaches 18 yard box then enough said
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 80
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
November 19, 2021, 10:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from jimgtfc
Scrappy 1-0 win will do for me! As others have said, Taylor was superb up top with little natural support around him. I say natural because Ben Fox is definitely not a number 10. Great to see Pearson back too, solid as ever at the back.

Oh and I had a prawn stuffed scotch quail egg! At a football match! Who knew that was a thing?!

Bloody prawn stuffed scotch quail egg brigade, always leaving 5 minutes early to get there prawn stuff scotch quail eggs!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 80
LH
November 19, 2021, 10:52pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,497
Gold Stars: 173
Not many complaints from me tonight.

Good points: Taylor was excellent. Sousa had their right back with twisted blood at times running at him. Defence looked very competent against an albeit limited Southend (is that the first time they’ve started together?). The rot is stopped and McAtee is back.

Bad points: Sousa’s final ball - one shot at the Pontoon seemed to defy the laws of physics. After a really bright start we failed to build on the momentum and let the rest of the first half drift away.

Hopefully we can start another run with this result and get some momentum going into Christmas. Two big games in the next week or so which are both difficult in their own way.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 80
lew chaterleys lover
November 19, 2021, 10:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,709
Gold Stars: 236
I don't think there is anything to be negative about tonight. The only thing that mattered was the win to stop the rot. Mission accomplished.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 80
Maringer
November 19, 2021, 11:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,482
Gold Stars: 185
I thought we were OK in general and enjoyed the game more than some apparently did. Southend were odd opposition. More pacy players than us, a pretty mobile midfield with one or two tricky players who managed some nice first-time passing, but they just didn't really create anything more than one or two scrambles. No real clear-cut chances I can remember. It probably didn't help that their No. 9 was so busy trying to referee the game whilst standing offside and attempting to foul Waterfall or Pearson every time they went up for a header!

We, on the other hand, gave the ball away cheaply much too often, but still had enough good breaks to have scored one or two more goals had the final pass, ball or shot been better. Sousa really needs to start getting somewhere with his final ball or shot because he was unplayable in spells, but nothing ever came from it.

Pleased to see Pearson slot in and perform well, a bit disappointed by Hunt once again but agree that Taylor was just fantastic. Won 90% of the balls into him before playing the ball to the feet of teammates over and over again. We need to start taking advantage of that sort of service better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 80
MuddyWaters
November 19, 2021, 11:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Midfield needs sorting. Coke and Hunt doesn’t work, Fox needs to be back in there and not played out of position.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.