Heisenberg
October 25, 2021, 10:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,044
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from RonMariner
I don't support either team but watched the game because there were some fantastic players on show and I like to see football of the highest level.

I'm a football fan, and I enjoyed the game. I don't think there is anything wrong with posters wanting to discuss the game with fellow football supporters. We discuss all sorts of things from the wider football world.

I agree with you on this, Ron. I will never support a Premier League club (we are 4 promotions away, after all….) but watching the best go head to head is still entertainment worth watching. Put the obscene finances to one side and some of the skill you see at that level is superb.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 80
aldi_01
October 25, 2021, 10:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Heisenberg

I agree with you on this, Ron. I will never support a Premier League club (we are 4 promotions away, after all….) but watching the best go head to head is still entertainment worth watching. Put the obscene finances to one side and some of the skill you see at that level is superb.

We all know the money is obscene but the sad thing is that it overshadows the ability and skill seen by players at that level…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 80
KingstonMariner
October 25, 2021, 10:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
In my opinion if anyone wants to watch these games and discuss them, it’s up to them. This is a football forum after all. It’s been funny seeing some of the clips going round today too.

But personally I wouldn’t watch the games. It only encourages them. The way things have gone with the foundation of the premier league bothers me.

Mind you, if you’re from Grimsby and watch them, and are not a Town fan, then I think I’m on safe ground on here to say “go fück yourself”. 😆

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 80
KingstonMariner
October 25, 2021, 10:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
In my opinion if anyone wants to watch these games and discuss them, it’s up to them. This is a football forum after all. It’s been funny seeing some of the clips going round today too.

But personally I wouldn’t watch the games. It only encourages them. The way things have gone with the foundation of the premier league bothers me.

Mind you, if you’re from Grimsby and watch them, and are not a Town fan, then I think I’m on safe ground on here to say “go fück yourself”. 😆

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 80
Poojah
October 25, 2021, 11:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,521
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Their loss in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not into reverse snobbery and I do watch top-level club football on the telly. There’s no denying that the quality of the football in the Premier League is drastically better than three or four steps down the pyramid; seeing Town on the same pitch as Chelsea’s reserves a couple of years ago was a stark reminder of this.

But I don’t see football experience as being all about the quality on the pitch. It’s about roots, it’a about connection, tradition - I’ve watched Town at BP with four generations of my family and I’m only 36.

The longer I’ve lived away from the area, and it’s regrettably over half my life now, the stronger I’ve felt this. To go away, be it to London or some village in the middle of nowhere, and be surrounded by people you recognise but don’t necessarily know (as well as many you do), all there for the same reason, who’ve witnessed the same things as you over the years, is special. It gives you a warm sense of pride inside.

I have Premier League football 8 miles from my house. I could get to Old Trafford in just over an hour. The Etihad wouldn’t take much longer. Liverpool’s doable once every week or two. But what the fúck would I have in common with anyone there?

As much as I don’t mind watching top flight games on the telly, I hate being a neutral fan in a ground. Being around people who have vested interests when you don’t is just weird, regardless of the standard on offer.

If you’re from a place big enough to draw a crowd capable of making a bit of noise, you’re missing out not supporting them in my opinion. Nothing wrong acknowledging bigger clubs exist, but bigger and and better isn’t always, err…better.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 80
aldi_01
October 26, 2021, 2:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Their loss in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not into reverse snobbery and I do watch top-level club football on the telly. There’s no denying that the quality of the football in the Premier League is drastically better than three or four steps down the pyramid; seeing Town on the same pitch as Chelsea’s reserves a couple of years ago was a stark reminder of this.

But I don’t see football experience as being all about the quality on the pitch. It’s about roots, it’a about connection, tradition - I’ve watched Town at BP with four generations of my family and I’m only 36.

The longer I’ve lived away from the area, and it’s regrettably over half my life now, the stronger I’ve felt this. To go away, be it to London or some village in the middle of nowhere, and be surrounded by people you recognise but don’t necessarily know (as well as many you do), all there for the same reason, who’ve witnessed the same things as you over the years, is special. It gives you a warm sense of pride inside.

I have Premier League football 8 miles from my house. I could get to Old Trafford in just over an hour. The Etihad wouldn’t take much longer. Liverpool’s doable once every week or two. But what the fúck would I have in common with anyone there?

As much as I don’t mind watching top flight games on the telly, I hate being a neutral fan in a ground. Being around people who have vested interests when you don’t is just weird, regardless of the standard on offer.

If you’re from a place big enough to draw a crowd capable of making a bit of noise, you’re missing out not supporting them in my opinion. Nothing wrong acknowledging bigger clubs exist, but bigger and and better isn’t always, err…better.  

This is why atmospheres at home games at those sort of clubs is usually a bit on the stale side…apart from the idiots who’d rather take a crap picture or video, few folk have links to the area, thus the connection is almost forced.

I’m much the same with being neutral too, I’ve seen plenty of football over the years that didn’t involve town but it never quite feels as good. I’ve seen Chelsea at the bridge and at an away game and the experiences were very different.

I visit Hellas often and that’s the closest I’ve felt to watching a top flight team and getting the same buzz as watching town but I’ve invested more in to them, their fans have embraced that and I’ve close friends now. I could’ve been a glory boy and gone for Inter/Juve/Napoli etc but didn’t, pure fluke and never regretted it.

I disagree with so much about the premier league and it’s business approach but I love football and I’m not gonna do myself out of the pleasure of watching football. You can try to hate those games as much as you want, many choose not to watch which is their choice and I get it but once you start watching you’d be lying if you said that games like Sunday weren’t very good…cash and the brand to one side, to watch any team do what Liverpool did to Utd in such a high profile game is exceptional…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 80
Grimsbynewhope
October 26, 2021, 7:03am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from aldi_01

This is why atmospheres at home games at those sort of clubs is usually a bit on the stale side…apart from the idiots who’d rather take a crap picture or video, few folk have links to the area, thus the connection is almost forced.

I’m much the same with being neutral too, I’ve seen plenty of football over the years that didn’t involve town but it never quite feels as good. I’ve seen Chelsea at the bridge and at an away game and the experiences were very different.
I visit Hellas often and that’s the closest I’ve felt to watching a top flight team and getting the same buzz as watching town but I’ve invested more in to them, their fans have embraced that and I’ve close friends now. I could’ve been a glory boy and gone for Inter/Juve/Napoli etc but didn’t, pure fluke and never regretted it.

I disagree with so much about the premier league and it’s business approach but I love football and I’m not gonna do myself out of the pleasure of watching football. You can try to hate those games as much as you want, many choose not to watch which is their choice and I get it but once you start watching you’d be lying if you said that games like Sunday weren’t very good…cash and the brand to one side, to watch any team do what Liverpool did to Utd in such a high profile game is exceptional…

No problem watching premier league football as far I’m concerned, it’s supporting them above your home team that gets me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 80
aldi_01
October 26, 2021, 7:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grimsbynewhope

No problem watching premier league football as far I’m concerned, it’s supporting them above your home team that gets me.

I don’t anyone on this thread implied that…unless they did it as a kid which I sort of get. I was fortunate to have a dad who took me from a very young age to watch GTFC, my mate on the other hand didn’t so could only watch on TV…as he grew older he began to drift to BP when he could take himself…

It tends to happen more with Manure than the others, or that’s certainly my experience but they spend longer justifying why they support a team than talking about the team…the moment you justify being a fan of a club probably suggests you shouldn’t be…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 80
Phil the cod
October 26, 2021, 7:54am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from LH
Some really angry people about today. Maybe because the only football they watch is Town and it’s been dreadful for years?

Not angry at all, just don't know why people get all up themselves over man utd and Liverpool, it's over the counter culture.
Too afraid to follow an unfashionable local team I suspect.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 80
aldi_01
October 26, 2021, 8:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Phil the cod

Not angry at all, just don't know why people get all up themselves over man utd and Liverpool, it's over the counter culture.
Too afraid to follow an unfashionable local team I suspect.

Did you read any of the posts on this of the Newcastle thread? Apart from the odd person admitting in their childhood they may have followed a different team, until they saw the light that is…nobody is claiming to support either, more a discussion about a game of football and it’s bizarre result…

Do you not talk about other teams results? Other football? Focusing just on town would get boring…doesn’t mean you don’t support town with every fibre of your body…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Man Utd v Liverpool

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.