Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 24, 2021, 5:32pm

Not a fan of either team but United have been shocking, booed off at half-time.

Even Ronaldo is losing his cool.

HT...Man Utd 0-4 Liverpool.

Posted by: Abdul19, October 24, 2021, 5:37pm; Reply: 1
My insightful view:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: quebec38, October 24, 2021, 5:38pm; Reply: 2
Solskjaer so far out of his depth and it’s great isn’t it.

How he got the job in the first place I have no idea.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 24, 2021, 5:38pm; Reply: 3

United fans streaming out of Old Trafford at half-time  8)
Posted by: lukeo, October 24, 2021, 5:39pm; Reply: 4
I'm livid. I took captaincy off salah for 1 week in FPL 😂 😂 😂
Posted by: buckstown, October 24, 2021, 5:39pm; Reply: 5
Probably the most expensive defence in world football?? No clean sheets for 24 games is extraordinary
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 24, 2021, 5:44pm; Reply: 6

0-5

Fergie doesn't look happy  8)
Posted by: bobbyturtle, October 24, 2021, 5:47pm; Reply: 7
Let's all laugh at united!
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 24, 2021, 5:53pm; Reply: 8
For once Souness should lay into Pogba.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 24, 2021, 5:59pm; Reply: 9
Pogba wants a pay rise 😂😂😂
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, October 24, 2021, 6:03pm; Reply: 10
Liverpool are a team.
Man U are a bunch of Highley paid good players who have no idea how to defend.
Posted by: LH, October 24, 2021, 6:13pm; Reply: 11
Absolutely hilarious to think that about two months ago United fans were thinking adding Ronaldo turns them into title challengers. His only contributions today were to kick Curtis Jones and have a goal disallowed.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 24, 2021, 6:18pm; Reply: 12
Has any Manager ever been sacked at halftime during a game? If not then it should have happened today
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, October 24, 2021, 6:22pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Liverpool are a team.
Man U are a bunch of Highley paid good players who have no idea how to defend.

Just wondering which of my 21 words warranted a Red Cross…
Posted by: Poojah, October 24, 2021, 6:22pm; Reply: 14
Has any Manager ever been sacked at halftime during a game? If not then it should have happened today

Mark Cooper famously started his job at Forest Green at half-time.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 24, 2021, 6:25pm; Reply: 15
I would imagine Ronaldo is thinking something along the lines of Messi gets to go to PSG and I end up with this set of fannies........  Someone said on Twitter yesterday Man U need Declan Rice, not sure why as he is a footballer not an attitude surgeon.  
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 24, 2021, 6:33pm; Reply: 16
Who?
Posted by: aldi_01, October 24, 2021, 6:38pm; Reply: 17
Ronaldo went to Utd to massage his own ego…he was an awful signing given the issues Utd have…it’s good to see those thousands of shirt sales sorting their defending out.

Ole is garbage; was garbage before he got the job but the deluded scum fans bought it hook line and sinker…and they said Jose was the issue…
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 24, 2021, 6:49pm; Reply: 18
United v City next.  City have scored 4 goals at least in recent games.

Saw comment that Ronaldo is primarily Interested in another Ballon d’Or. He has to be seen in the spotlight.   Well he has certainly done that!    Competing with how many awards Messi has won.

Grimsby are a team.  United are just a collection of very expensive individuals. Managed by someone seduced by signing an aging Ronaldo.  
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 24, 2021, 6:54pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
United v City next.  City have scored 4 goals at least in recent games.

Saw comment that Ronaldo is primarily Interested in another Ballon d’Or. He has to be seen in the spotlight.   Well he has certainly done that!    Competing with how many awards Messi has won.

Grimsby are a team.  United are just a collection of very expensive individuals. Managed by someone seduced by signing an aging Ronaldo.  

City have done a very good job in ‘missing out’ on several of their transfer targets, only for them to sign for Utd and be average at best.

City were in pole position to sign Maguire, Fred, Alexis Sanchez and Ronaldo.
Posted by: marinernige, October 24, 2021, 6:55pm; Reply: 20
Who gives a sh@t about either team. Thought this was a Grimsby forum.UTM
Posted by: LH, October 24, 2021, 6:59pm; Reply: 21
Ronaldo was never going to sign for City - Pep even said as much. “Cristiano will sign for who he wants to sign for” or words to that effect. He used them to lever United into paying him what he wanted and to be where he wanted. He’s had their pants down big time. Their transfer policy has been awful since Ferguson left.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 24, 2021, 7:22pm; Reply: 22
I reckon Town would have beaten Man Ure today.  :)
Posted by: supertown, October 24, 2021, 8:27pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from marinernige

Boring twit
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 24, 2021, 9:08pm; Reply: 24
Ronaldo is still right up there but he doesn’t press. In my mind he’s long ago earned the right for others to do it for him, if they do and give him the ball in the final 3rd he’ll prove his worth.

Utd have World Class players, no steel and resilience in mid field a good manger in terms of brand and “club pedigree” but when you look at their coaches have they got the quality they need?

Fergie in his later years kept the success alive as he changed the message on the training ground every 2/3 seasons or so by bringing in fresh coaches and assistant managers on a regular basis.

They will not get back to what they where under Sir Alex  ever, nobody carries on a dynasty at this level, the closest we’ve seen in Shankley, Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish but that’s only just been recovered under Klopp.

Utd need strategy and regime change and also need to be brave enough to start again like they did in the last 80s under Sir Alex.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, October 24, 2021, 9:30pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from supertown

Boring twit

Why?
Maidenhead v Woking was more important and relevant to GTFC than that showbusiness event but we didn’t have thread for that

Posted by: GrimRob, October 24, 2021, 9:57pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Why?
Maidenhead v Woking was more important and relevant to GTFC than that showbusiness event but we didn’t have thread for that

We have had recent threads on Southend, Dover, Woking and Wrexham (probably others as well).

Posted by: LH, October 24, 2021, 10:03pm; Reply: 27
England too. Like it or not a result like today is a talking point in football generally and it’s not like it wasn’t obvious what the thread was about given the title of it.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 24, 2021, 10:06pm; Reply: 28
Imagine not being arsed about a game and then going on a thread to comment that it’s boring??? Weird…

I mean if you want a thread about Maidenhead v Woking, crack on…
Posted by: marinernige, October 24, 2021, 10:09pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from supertown

Boring twit

No the Premier League bores me.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 24, 2021, 10:15pm; Reply: 30
United fans living locally might come and support Town now.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 24, 2021, 10:40pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from marinernige

No the Premier League bores me.

Don’t watch it then…don’t open a thread that’s quite clearly titled…
Posted by: Grimsby2012, October 24, 2021, 11:54pm; Reply: 32
Jesus christ. Why is this forum obsessed with united. Everyone they lose someone makes a pointless thread. Can we not just stick to relevant Town news instead of the prem league. No one cares about two sh ite teams playing. The Premiership is a trash league full of overpaid idiots. End of
Posted by: supertown, October 25, 2021, 8:47am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Grimsby2012
Jesus christ. Why is this forum obsessed with united. Everyone they lose someone makes a pointless thread. Can we not just stick to relevant Town news instead of the prem league. No one cares about two sh ite teams playing. The Premiership is a trash league full of overpaid idiots. End of

Everyone? Well I thoroughly enjoyed the game , very entertaining. I’m a football fan
Posted by: Grimsbynewhope, October 25, 2021, 9:14am; Reply: 34
Quoted from supertown

Everyone? Well I thoroughly enjoyed the game , very entertaining. I’m a football fan

The premier league gets more than enough publicity, go on their website if you want to talk about them.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 25, 2021, 9:25am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Grimsbynewhope

The premier league gets more than enough publicity, go on their website if you want to talk about them.

Or don’t open a clearly titled thread…
Posted by: Grimsbynewhope, October 25, 2021, 9:36am; Reply: 36
Quoted from aldi_01

Or don’t open a clearly titled thread…

Or don’t post it on a Grimsby Town forum
Posted by: ginnywings, October 25, 2021, 9:38am; Reply: 37

Or don’t post it on a Grimsby Town forum

We have several threads about Scunny and Lincoln. What's the difference?

They may be local but are of no more significance to us than Man Utd.

It may specifically be a GTFC forum but it's also a general forum about football isn't it?
Posted by: Grimsbynewhope, October 25, 2021, 9:40am; Reply: 38
Quoted from GrimRob

We have had recent threads on Southend, Dover, Woking and Wrexham (probably others as well).

Who happen to be in the same league as us
Posted by: Grimsbynewhope, October 25, 2021, 9:43am; Reply: 39
Too many closet premier league supporters on here
Posted by: aldi_01, October 25, 2021, 9:44am; Reply: 40
What a very bizarre outlook…

I mean, perhaps people discuss both clubs as there are several links you can make with GTFC…but as you don’t take any interest in that premier league I’m guessing you don’t know the link…
Posted by: Grimsby2012, October 25, 2021, 4:28pm; Reply: 41
Too many closet premier league supporters on here

Couldn't agree more. All this thread has done is show up these closet prem supporters. If you want to discuss a bunch of over paid prem teams who bleed lower league teams dry by taking their talent, forcing b teams into cups and taking local fans away from their local teams ( like some in this thread) then good for you. I'll stick to the only team that I actually care about.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 25, 2021, 4:43pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Grimsby2012

Couldn't agree more. All this thread has done is show up these closet prem supporters. If you want to discuss a bunch of over paid prem teams who bleed lower league teams dry by taking their talent, forcing b teams into cups and taking local fans away from their local teams ( like some in this thread) then good for you. I'll stick to the only team that I actually care about.

What a pair of odd buggers you are…
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 25, 2021, 4:48pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Grimsby2012

I started this thread and I only support Town and England, I see nothing wrong with discussing other League's teams including the Prem.

The Newcastle thread has had many replies by posters on here but I'm pretty sure most aren't closet Prem supporters.

Posted by: LH, October 25, 2021, 5:09pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Grimsby2012

I'll stick to the only team that I actually care about.

Don’t open threads with other clubs names in then 🤷‍♂️
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 25, 2021, 5:18pm; Reply: 45
I had a bet on Liverpool to score 5+ goals at 25-1. Shame it was just for the odd 41p I had in my Sky Bet account.
Posted by: tashee69, October 25, 2021, 6:02pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Grimsby2012

Not necessarily closet Premier fans ,but football fans. If there’s any closet fans on here, it appears to be the closet Man Ure fans getting annoyed about getting their backsides kicked. Perhaps the closet Man Ure fans thought it safe on here. 😆
Posted by: Gaffer58, October 25, 2021, 6:11pm; Reply: 47
I would assume the majority on this forum “support” a premier team but follow Grimsby Town.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 25, 2021, 6:14pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Gaffer58
I would assume the majority on this forum “support” a premier team but follow Grimsby Town.

I think you presume wrongly.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 25, 2021, 6:21pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Gaffer58

I grew up supporting Man Utd and GTFC. It was the done thing when I was at school and my older brothers were the ones who got me into Utd, courtesy of them having Best, Law and Charlton and winning the European Cup in 68. Bobby Charlton is my all time favourite player.

They and myself have never attended Old Trafford, but we have thousands of games at BP between us.

Don't really have any affinity to them nowadays though. Division 1 as it was back then, didn't seem a million miles away from our level, not like today where the gulf is incalculable.
Posted by: Grimsbynewhope, October 25, 2021, 6:39pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from ginnywings

I grew up supporting Man Utd and GTFC. It was the done thing when I was at school and my older brothers were the ones who got me into Utd, courtesy of them having Best, Law and Charlton and winning the European Cup in 68. Bobby Charlton is my all time favourite player.

They and myself have never attended Old Trafford, but we have thousands of games at BP between us.

Don't really have any affinity to them nowadays though.

Division 1 as it was back then, didn't seem a million miles away from our level, not like today where the gulf is incalculable.

Most people realise after leaving school, and growing up that they have no real connection to these so called glamour clubs and realise that supporting your home club is all that really matters, but I’m sure there’s plenty sat at home reading this wearing their Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea etc replica shirts.
Posted by: Phil the cod, October 25, 2021, 6:56pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from marinernige

Same plastic wan.kers on here will be the same ones moaning about how shi.te town are when they're not banging 6 goals past everyone.
I've got more respect for Scunthorpe United supporters than plastic mancs/Mickey mousers, at least they are supporting their home side.
I'll get thousands of red crosses but, I'll get over it.
Posted by: Phil the cod, October 25, 2021, 7:00pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from tashee69

Not necessarily closet Premier fans ,but football fans. If there’s any closet fans on here, it appears to be the closet Man Ure fans getting annoyed about getting their backsides kicked. Perhaps the closet Man Ure fans thought it safe on here. 😆

Why are they on here then? F.ck off,we don't need or want them, they can all go down to wetherspoons and sit there looking like total sharp objects in their replica shirts, spouting shite about teams 120 miles away, beyond sad imho.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 25, 2021, 7:04pm; Reply: 53
United were probably doomed when they chose the weekend to announce plans to extend Old Trafford to accommodate 80,000 fans.  How dare they try and erase our ground record attendance?

It has all rebounded on them.  They might as well reduce the capacity now.
Posted by: Heisenberg, October 25, 2021, 7:08pm; Reply: 54
I was pretty much the only one at school who decided to support town only, everyone else had a second team (and in some cases i think Town were their second team).

As a consequence of this decision I also find I’m far more of an England fan than they are/were too.

I have never regretted my decision, and whilst I will happily watch MOTD and the odd live EPL game for entertainment, I only really watch them to keep an eye on the form of the players who are eligible for England. Otherwise I can take it or leave it.
Posted by: Phil the cod, October 25, 2021, 7:09pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Heisenberg
I was pretty much the only one at school who decided to support town only, everyone else had a second team (and in some cases i think Town were their second team).

As a consequence of this decision I also find I’m far more of an England fan than they are/were too.

I have never regretted my decision, and whilst I will happily watch MOTD and the odd live EPL game for entertainment, I only really watch them to keep an eye on the form of the players who are eligible for England. Otherwise I can take it or leave it.

Good lad.
Posted by: LH, October 25, 2021, 7:14pm; Reply: 56
Some really angry people about today. Maybe because the only football they watch is Town and it’s been dreadful for years?
Posted by: aldi_01, October 25, 2021, 7:26pm; Reply: 57
Was the only kid in my class that didn’t support a ‘premier league’ team…well, the only other one was a Scunny fan. He’d lived there, moved but stayed a scunt much like many of us have with town.

That said, getting angry becauee people want to make a thread about the biggest game in English football is genuinely mind boggling, shame people didn’t get this aggy 6/7/8/9 years ago when it was clear Fenty was a disgrace…
Posted by: Grimsbynewhope, October 25, 2021, 7:43pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from aldi_01
Was the only kid in my class that didn’t support a ‘premier league’ team…well, the only other one was a Scunny fan. He’d lived there, moved but stayed a scunt much like many of us have with town.

That said, getting angry becauee people want to make a thread about the biggest game in English football is genuinely mind boggling, shame people didn’t get this aggy 6/7/8/9 years ago when it was clear Fenty was a disgrace…

At least we agree on your last sentence
Posted by: RonMariner, October 25, 2021, 10:27pm; Reply: 59
I don't support either team but watched the game because there were some fantastic players on show and I like to see football of the highest level.

I'm a football fan, and I enjoyed the game. I don't think there is anything wrong with posters wanting to discuss the game with fellow football supporters. We discuss all sorts of things from the wider football world.
Posted by: Heisenberg, October 25, 2021, 10:40pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from RonMariner
I don't support either team but watched the game because there were some fantastic players on show and I like to see football of the highest level.

I'm a football fan, and I enjoyed the game. I don't think there is anything wrong with posters wanting to discuss the game with fellow football supporters. We discuss all sorts of things from the wider football world.

I agree with you on this, Ron. I will never support a Premier League club (we are 4 promotions away, after all….) but watching the best go head to head is still entertainment worth watching. Put the obscene finances to one side and some of the skill you see at that level is superb.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 25, 2021, 10:54pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Heisenberg

I agree with you on this, Ron. I will never support a Premier League club (we are 4 promotions away, after all….) but watching the best go head to head is still entertainment worth watching. Put the obscene finances to one side and some of the skill you see at that level is superb.

We all know the money is obscene but the sad thing is that it overshadows the ability and skill seen by players at that level…
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 25, 2021, 10:56pm; Reply: 62
In my opinion if anyone wants to watch these games and discuss them, it’s up to them. This is a football forum after all. It’s been funny seeing some of the clips going round today too.

But personally I wouldn’t watch the games. It only encourages them. The way things have gone with the foundation of the premier league bothers me.

Mind you, if you’re from Grimsby and watch them, and are not a Town fan, then I think I’m on safe ground on here to say “go fück yourself”. 😆
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 25, 2021, 10:56pm; Reply: 63
In my opinion if anyone wants to watch these games and discuss them, it’s up to them. This is a football forum after all. It’s been funny seeing some of the clips going round today too.

But personally I wouldn’t watch the games. It only encourages them. The way things have gone with the foundation of the premier league bothers me.

Mind you, if you’re from Grimsby and watch them, and are not a Town fan, then I think I’m on safe ground on here to say “go fück yourself”. 😆
Posted by: Poojah, October 25, 2021, 11:34pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Their loss in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not into reverse snobbery and I do watch top-level club football on the telly. There’s no denying that the quality of the football in the Premier League is drastically better than three or four steps down the pyramid; seeing Town on the same pitch as Chelsea’s reserves a couple of years ago was a stark reminder of this.

But I don’t see football experience as being all about the quality on the pitch. It’s about roots, it’a about connection, tradition - I’ve watched Town at BP with four generations of my family and I’m only 36.

The longer I’ve lived away from the area, and it’s regrettably over half my life now, the stronger I’ve felt this. To go away, be it to London or some village in the middle of nowhere, and be surrounded by people you recognise but don’t necessarily know (as well as many you do), all there for the same reason, who’ve witnessed the same things as you over the years, is special. It gives you a warm sense of pride inside.

I have Premier League football 8 miles from my house. I could get to Old Trafford in just over an hour. The Etihad wouldn’t take much longer. Liverpool’s doable once every week or two. But what the fúck would I have in common with anyone there?

As much as I don’t mind watching top flight games on the telly, I hate being a neutral fan in a ground. Being around people who have vested interests when you don’t is just weird, regardless of the standard on offer.

If you’re from a place big enough to draw a crowd capable of making a bit of noise, you’re missing out not supporting them in my opinion. Nothing wrong acknowledging bigger clubs exist, but bigger and and better isn’t always, err…better.  
Posted by: aldi_01, October 26, 2021, 2:05am; Reply: 65
Quoted from Poojah

Their loss in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not into reverse snobbery and I do watch top-level club football on the telly. There’s no denying that the quality of the football in the Premier League is drastically better than three or four steps down the pyramid; seeing Town on the same pitch as Chelsea’s reserves a couple of years ago was a stark reminder of this.

But I don’t see football experience as being all about the quality on the pitch. It’s about roots, it’a about connection, tradition - I’ve watched Town at BP with four generations of my family and I’m only 36.

The longer I’ve lived away from the area, and it’s regrettably over half my life now, the stronger I’ve felt this. To go away, be it to London or some village in the middle of nowhere, and be surrounded by people you recognise but don’t necessarily know (as well as many you do), all there for the same reason, who’ve witnessed the same things as you over the years, is special. It gives you a warm sense of pride inside.

I have Premier League football 8 miles from my house. I could get to Old Trafford in just over an hour. The Etihad wouldn’t take much longer. Liverpool’s doable once every week or two. But what the fúck would I have in common with anyone there?

As much as I don’t mind watching top flight games on the telly, I hate being a neutral fan in a ground. Being around people who have vested interests when you don’t is just weird, regardless of the standard on offer.

If you’re from a place big enough to draw a crowd capable of making a bit of noise, you’re missing out not supporting them in my opinion. Nothing wrong acknowledging bigger clubs exist, but bigger and and better isn’t always, err…better.  

This is why atmospheres at home games at those sort of clubs is usually a bit on the stale side…apart from the idiots who’d rather take a crap picture or video, few folk have links to the area, thus the connection is almost forced.

I’m much the same with being neutral too, I’ve seen plenty of football over the years that didn’t involve town but it never quite feels as good. I’ve seen Chelsea at the bridge and at an away game and the experiences were very different.

I visit Hellas often and that’s the closest I’ve felt to watching a top flight team and getting the same buzz as watching town but I’ve invested more in to them, their fans have embraced that and I’ve close friends now. I could’ve been a glory boy and gone for Inter/Juve/Napoli etc but didn’t, pure fluke and never regretted it.

I disagree with so much about the premier league and it’s business approach but I love football and I’m not gonna do myself out of the pleasure of watching football. You can try to hate those games as much as you want, many choose not to watch which is their choice and I get it but once you start watching you’d be lying if you said that games like Sunday weren’t very good…cash and the brand to one side, to watch any team do what Liverpool did to Utd in such a high profile game is exceptional…
Posted by: Grimsbynewhope, October 26, 2021, 7:03am; Reply: 66
Quoted from aldi_01

This is why atmospheres at home games at those sort of clubs is usually a bit on the stale side…apart from the idiots who’d rather take a crap picture or video, few folk have links to the area, thus the connection is almost forced.

I’m much the same with being neutral too, I’ve seen plenty of football over the years that didn’t involve town but it never quite feels as good. I’ve seen Chelsea at the bridge and at an away game and the experiences were very different.
I visit Hellas often and that’s the closest I’ve felt to watching a top flight team and getting the same buzz as watching town but I’ve invested more in to them, their fans have embraced that and I’ve close friends now. I could’ve been a glory boy and gone for Inter/Juve/Napoli etc but didn’t, pure fluke and never regretted it.

I disagree with so much about the premier league and it’s business approach but I love football and I’m not gonna do myself out of the pleasure of watching football. You can try to hate those games as much as you want, many choose not to watch which is their choice and I get it but once you start watching you’d be lying if you said that games like Sunday weren’t very good…cash and the brand to one side, to watch any team do what Liverpool did to Utd in such a high profile game is exceptional…

No problem watching premier league football as far I’m concerned, it’s supporting them above your home team that gets me.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 26, 2021, 7:41am; Reply: 67

No problem watching premier league football as far I’m concerned, it’s supporting them above your home team that gets me.

I don’t anyone on this thread implied that…unless they did it as a kid which I sort of get. I was fortunate to have a dad who took me from a very young age to watch GTFC, my mate on the other hand didn’t so could only watch on TV…as he grew older he began to drift to BP when he could take himself…

It tends to happen more with Manure than the others, or that’s certainly my experience but they spend longer justifying why they support a team than talking about the team…the moment you justify being a fan of a club probably suggests you shouldn’t be…
Posted by: Phil the cod, October 26, 2021, 7:54am; Reply: 68
Quoted from LH
Some really angry people about today. Maybe because the only football they watch is Town and it’s been dreadful for years?

Not angry at all, just don't know why people get all up themselves over man utd and Liverpool, it's over the counter culture.
Too afraid to follow an unfashionable local team I suspect.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 26, 2021, 8:02am; Reply: 69
Quoted from Phil the cod

Not angry at all, just don't know why people get all up themselves over man utd and Liverpool, it's over the counter culture.

Did you read any of the posts on this of the Newcastle thread? Apart from the odd person admitting in their childhood they may have followed a different team, until they saw the light that is…nobody is claiming to support either, more a discussion about a game of football and it’s bizarre result…

Do you not talk about other teams results? Other football? Focusing just on town would get boring…doesn’t mean you don’t support town with every fibre of your body…
Posted by: buckstown, October 26, 2021, 8:04am; Reply: 70
I don't get the inverted snobbery at all. I have two big matches to attend this week, Wealdstone tonight and Spurs v Man Utd. on Saturday
I'm really excited about tonights game and will be as nervous as hell before kick off. I've been a town fan for as long as I can remember and I love going to games, especially when my son, daughter and grandsons come.
Saturday will be totally different. It doesn't leave me cold but I can't get emotionally involved like watching town. However, I'm looking forward to seeing Ronaldo, not because he's a diving cheat but because he's a majestic footballer of immense talent. It'll also be interesting to see which United turn up
My spurs supporting mate has been to town games and always says he loves watching football as a neutral because it's much less stressful and that's how I feel going to Spurs. If you're a football fan you can enjoy seeing other teams without going through the emotional wringer
Posted by: aldi_01, October 26, 2021, 8:07am; Reply: 71
Quoted from buckstown
I don't get the inverted snobbery at all. I have two big matches to attend this week, Wealdstone tonight and Spurs v Man Utd. on Saturday
I'm really excited about tonights game and will be as nervous as hell before kick off. I've been a town fan for as long as I can remember and I love going to games, especially when my son, daughter and grandsons come.
Saturday will be totally different. It doesn't leave me cold but I can't get emotionally involved like watching town. However, I'm looking forward to seeing Ronaldo, not because he's a diving cheat but because he's a majestic footballer of immense talent. It'll also be interesting to see which United turn up
My spurs supporting mate has been to town games and always says he loves watching football as a neutral because it's much less stressful and that's how I feel going to Spurs. If you're a football fan you can enjoy seeing other teams without going through the emotional wringer

I’ve done this plenty of times, I love live football, hence the various trips abroad…
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 26, 2021, 9:09am; Reply: 72
I support 2 teams.

Grimsby Town and whoever Man U are playing.   ;)
Posted by: NorfolkImp, October 26, 2021, 12:40pm; Reply: 73

City have done a very good job in ‘missing out’ on several of their transfer targets, only for them to sign for Utd and be average at best.

City were in pole position to sign Maguire, Fred, Alexis Sanchez and Ronaldo.

Yes some major bullets dodged there, although for all we know it could've been purely paper talk.

I think Ole should be given time, as they've only just ended a 29 game unbeaten away Prem record, and showed their alleged 'Utd DNA' last Wednesday evening v those Italian giants from Bergamo, with an array of 'organically purchased' megastars bought with their 'own money' of course.  ;)

Posted by: Grimsby2012, October 26, 2021, 1:20pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Phil the cod

Yup. Even if they watch a prem team just to lose, they still support the other team in the process.

Shame. No wonder towns attendances have slipped over the years. As soon as we go down the ladder, the glory hunters show themselves. Back to the prem league they go...
Posted by: Rick12, October 26, 2021, 2:28pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from Phil the cod

I think in some cases it's people living through the players and the team. Look at some of the big boys and the wages they command eg a couple of seasons there ala Liverpool,Man Utd, Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madrid and you've set your family and most importantly children up for life if invested right and not squandered . The same can't be said of lower league's clubs like Grimsby and the like. It's why top  clubs create a image which fans and lucrative  sponsors buy into.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 26, 2021, 3:05pm; Reply: 76
I doubt premier league clubs crate and image which fans and sponsors buy into for the purpose of making players financially secure in the future. They do it to make more money full stop.
Posted by: Rick12, October 26, 2021, 4:53pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I doubt premier league clubs crate and image which fans and sponsors buy into for the purpose of making players financially secure in the future. They do it to make more money full stop.
Its all linked in though . You get enough fans buying into a club which then allows success on the pitch to continue which then sponsors want to buy into. No fans no club.

Take Real Madrid for one who are the best supported club on the planet. Prior to Florentino Perez taking over as chairmen in 2000 the club was debt ridden after slowly falling into the mire following the golden years of the 1960s .He then bought in businessmen to  oversea various aspects of the club. Likewise he started tapping into the name which Real Madrid use to be especially in its heyday which Santiago Bernabau created  when they won the European cup 5 times on the bounce. Admittedly Perez took a gamble on the buying on Luis Figo which he promised if elected to its members . He then restructured the club and started to instill values which Real Madrid players have to live by. Work hard,never give up  and play beautiful football . His vision was to create a galacticos team of the best in the world alongside the best in Spain. Its why as well as noted you get brands like the car manufacturer Audi  and Samsung Galaxy wanting to be linked with Real Madrid . Some fans then want to envision these qualities. Hence try to be the best one can be in their respective jobs and in life.

Good book on the subject captures this in more detail below :

The Real Madrid Way: How Values Created the Most Successful Sports Team on the Planet by Steven Mandis
Posted by: Mayaman, October 26, 2021, 6:11pm; Reply: 78
Town V Man U FA Cup 3rd round proper. Our lads would give their defence a run for their money.  And the back four could handle a frustrated Ronaldo. Bring it on!
Posted by: Mayaman, October 26, 2021, 6:21pm; Reply: 79
Been a Town fan since I had to stand on a milk crate to see Mick Brolly's bald palate.  When I lived down south I'd got to any Town games in and around London or the midlands. In between, I'd watch High Wycombe when they were non-league and I grew to despise them.  Also went to see Marlow and Chesham as well as Brentford and QPR as a neutral.  Friendly places to watch footie. Even got given a free ticket at Loftus road. Followed a few clubs abroad and had a bit of a spark, most notably HCMC and Gallos Blancos ( a crappy lower division side in Mexico translated as the White Chickens). The feelings are never so intense as watching the Mariners.   I did take some delight at seeing the scoreline and ROnaldo's face when his goal was disallowed though.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), October 26, 2021, 6:41pm; Reply: 80
So long as Man-yoo don't head-hunt Paul Hurst to replace Ole, I'm not fussed what they (or Liverpool) do.

Would be quite entertaining though.
"Right Cristiano, you don't want to track back to help us defend...so you can help the team best by putting out the traffic cones in training..."

I'd much rather we kept PH, nevertheless.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 1:47am