9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
buckstown
October 26, 2021, 8:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,177
Gold Stars: 79
I don't get the inverted snobbery at all. I have two big matches to attend this week, Wealdstone tonight and Spurs v Man Utd. on Saturday
I'm really excited about tonights game and will be as nervous as hell before kick off. I've been a town fan for as long as I can remember and I love going to games, especially when my son, daughter and grandsons come.
Saturday will be totally different. It doesn't leave me cold but I can't get emotionally involved like watching town. However, I'm looking forward to seeing Ronaldo, not because he's a diving cheat but because he's a majestic footballer of immense talent. It'll also be interesting to see which United turn up
My spurs supporting mate has been to town games and always says he loves watching football as a neutral because it's much less stressful and that's how I feel going to Spurs. If you're a football fan you can enjoy seeing other teams without going through the emotional wringer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 80
aldi_01
October 26, 2021, 8:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from buckstown
I don't get the inverted snobbery at all. I have two big matches to attend this week, Wealdstone tonight and Spurs v Man Utd. on Saturday
I'm really excited about tonights game and will be as nervous as hell before kick off. I've been a town fan for as long as I can remember and I love going to games, especially when my son, daughter and grandsons come.
Saturday will be totally different. It doesn't leave me cold but I can't get emotionally involved like watching town. However, I'm looking forward to seeing Ronaldo, not because he's a diving cheat but because he's a majestic footballer of immense talent. It'll also be interesting to see which United turn up
My spurs supporting mate has been to town games and always says he loves watching football as a neutral because it's much less stressful and that's how I feel going to Spurs. If you're a football fan you can enjoy seeing other teams without going through the emotional wringer

I’ve done this plenty of times, I love live football, hence the various trips abroad…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 80
Les Brechin
October 26, 2021, 9:09am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,700
Gold Stars: 174
I support 2 teams.

Grimsby Town and whoever Man U are playing.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 80
NorfolkImp
October 26, 2021, 12:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -512
Gold Stars: 11

City have done a very good job in ‘missing out’ on several of their transfer targets, only for them to sign for Utd and be average at best.

City were in pole position to sign Maguire, Fred, Alexis Sanchez and Ronaldo.

Yes some major bullets dodged there, although for all we know it could've been purely paper talk.

I think Ole should be given time, as they've only just ended a 29 game unbeaten away Prem record, and showed their alleged 'Utd DNA' last Wednesday evening v those Italian giants from Bergamo, with an array of 'organically purchased' megastars bought with their 'own money' of course.  

Private Message
Reply: 73 - 80
Grimsby2012
October 26, 2021, 1:20pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Phil the cod

Not angry at all, just don't know why people get all up themselves over man utd and Liverpool, it's over the counter culture.
Too afraid to follow an unfashionable local team I suspect.

Yup. Even if they watch a prem team just to lose, they still support the other team in the process.

Shame. No wonder towns attendances have slipped over the years. As soon as we go down the ladder, the glory hunters show themselves. Back to the prem league they go...

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 80
Rick12
October 26, 2021, 2:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Phil the cod

Not angry at all, just don't know why people get all up themselves over man utd and Liverpool, it's over the counter culture.
Too afraid to follow an unfashionable local team I suspect.
I think in some cases it's people living through the players and the team. Look at some of the big boys and the wages they command eg a couple of seasons there ala Liverpool,Man Utd, Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madrid and you've set your family and most importantly children up for life if invested right and not squandered . The same can't be said of lower league's clubs like Grimsby and the like. It's why top  clubs create a image which fans and lucrative  sponsors buy into.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 80
KingstonMariner
October 26, 2021, 3:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I doubt premier league clubs crate and image which fans and sponsors buy into for the purpose of making players financially secure in the future. They do it to make more money full stop.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 80
Rick12
October 26, 2021, 4:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I doubt premier league clubs crate and image which fans and sponsors buy into for the purpose of making players financially secure in the future. They do it to make more money full stop.
Its all linked in though . You get enough fans buying into a club which then allows success on the pitch to continue which then sponsors want to buy into. No fans no club.

Take Real Madrid for one who are the best supported club on the planet. Prior to Florentino Perez taking over as chairmen in 2000 the club was debt ridden after slowly falling into the mire following the golden years of the 1960s .He then bought in businessmen to  oversea various aspects of the club. Likewise he started tapping into the name which Real Madrid use to be especially in its heyday which Santiago Bernabau created  when they won the European cup 5 times on the bounce. Admittedly Perez took a gamble on the buying on Luis Figo which he promised if elected to its members . He then restructured the club and started to instill values which Real Madrid players have to live by. Work hard,never give up  and play beautiful football . His vision was to create a galacticos team of the best in the world alongside the best in Spain. Its why as well as noted you get brands like the car manufacturer Audi  and Samsung Galaxy wanting to be linked with Real Madrid . Some fans then want to envision these qualities. Hence try to be the best one can be in their respective jobs and in life.

Good book on the subject captures this in more detail below :

The Real Madrid Way: How Values Created the Most Successful Sports Team on the Planet by Steven Mandis

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 80
Mayaman
October 26, 2021, 6:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,396
Gold Stars: 74
Town V Man U FA Cup 3rd round proper. Our lads would give their defence a run for their money.  And the back four could handle a frustrated Ronaldo. Bring it on!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 80
Mayaman
October 26, 2021, 6:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,396
Gold Stars: 74
Been a Town fan since I had to stand on a milk crate to see Mick Brolly's bald palate.  When I lived down south I'd got to any Town games in and around London or the midlands. In between, I'd watch High Wycombe when they were non-league and I grew to despise them.  Also went to see Marlow and Chesham as well as Brentford and QPR as a neutral.  Friendly places to watch footie. Even got given a free ticket at Loftus road. Followed a few clubs abroad and had a bit of a spark, most notably HCMC and Gallos Blancos ( a crappy lower division side in Mexico translated as the White Chickens). The feelings are never so intense as watching the Mariners.   I did take some delight at seeing the scoreline and ROnaldo's face when his goal was disallowed though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Man Utd v Liverpool

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.