Chrisblor
October 11, 2021, 9:56am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,813
Gold Stars: 234
Three separate camera angles AND slow motion replays? Woking you're really spoiling us here.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 50
Grantley
October 11, 2021, 9:59am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Looks like they gave us a proper game. Strength, pace and some skill thrown in. Sears must have slept very well that night.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 50
Les Brechin
October 11, 2021, 9:59am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Another well worked goal. When was the last season we scored such a high percentage of goals like that?

Also, where was the incident of the Hunt "Ghost Goal"?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 50
denni266
October 11, 2021, 10:10am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
They looked a very good side , and there big men where not like tractors in the mud
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 50
Heisenberg
October 11, 2021, 10:17am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Really good highlights, and they looked a proper side too. Some really good players on show.

Looked like a draw would have been fair, but a great result for us. Really pleased for Clifton, AND for Graham going mad on the front row!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 50
Poojah
October 11, 2021, 10:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,533
Gold Stars: 1,500
Certainly the land of the giants at Woking, isn’t it. Didn’t look as crisp a performance as we’ve become accustomed to recently, but we appeared to defend well from the front. You’re not going to play well every week, so when you don’t the next best thing is to be resolute and clinical - I think that’s a fair description of that performance.

As for the footage itself, that’s as good a highlights package as you’re going to get at this level (and probably a couple of levels higher).

It occurred to me a couple of weeks ago, in these times of progression on and off the pitch, that we might be able to do a little more with the highlights now we seem to have this enforced 30+ hour embargo which affords more time to edit them. I’m not sure how feasible it would be to have a camera behind the goal as you’d lose seats in the Pontoon and the old scoreboard posts would obscure the view from the Osmond - I’ve no idea if they still serve a structural purpose to the stand or whether they could come down.

But there are easier options, such as GoPros in the goal nets, or even interspersing some of the footage from the match day moments videos. They’ve already given us some brilliant alternative angles of goals scored this season.

Now the highlights are on YouTube, they’re a lot more predisposed for sharing on social media. Making those highlights as compelling as possible can only help amplify all that’s going on at the good ship Blundell Park.

One for the club to look into I think, if they’re not already.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 50
Son of Cod
October 11, 2021, 10:36am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Les Brechin
Another well worked goal. When was the last season we scored such a high percentage of goals like that?

Also, where was the incident of the Hunt "Ghost Goal"?

Was there an incident? Unless I missed it, I don't remember him almost scoring.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 50
Poojah
October 11, 2021, 10:41am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

Was there an incident? Unless I missed it, I don't remember him almost scoring.

The likes of Sky Sports and BBC reported Alex Hunt having scored in the 51st minute, and showed the score as 0-1 for around 30 minutes. A fair bit of head scratching ensued for those not at the game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 50
buckstown
October 11, 2021, 10:46am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,180
Gold Stars: 79
I thought Altrincham did a very good highlights pack. We seemed to have edited out the opposition highlights which makes it a bit one sided
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 50
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 11, 2021, 10:56am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,271
Gold Stars: 304
Quoted from Poojah

The likes of Sky Sports and BBC reported Alex Hunt having scored in the 51st minute, and showed the score as 0-1 for around 30 minutes. A fair bit of head scratching ensued for those not at the game.

I'm with Son Of Cod, there was no obvious thing that led to that (like a disallowed goal or whatever). Where I was stood somebody mentioned that the BBC were showing we had scored and everybody was a bit nonplussed by it.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
Poojah
October 11, 2021, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker

I'm with Son Of Cod, there was no obvious thing that led to that (like a disallowed goal or whatever). Where I was stood somebody mentioned that the BBC were showing we had scored and everybody was a bit nonplussed by it.

Yeah, it seems as if someone from the Press Association spilled their coffee on their keyboard or something.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
ska face
October 11, 2021, 11:04am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
Think the victory seems even better now as Hunt, McAtee, Taylor and Sousa looked to be off their usual high standards. Woking obviously looked to stop the front players getting it into feet and I lost count of the times they nipped in front of a town player who was slightly on his heels to win possession. Dead balls weren’t great and pitch maybe a bit dry as plenty of passes seemed underhit, we just didn’t have any real fluency going forward. Massive win in the circumstances.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
Oly1987
October 11, 2021, 11:09am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
Wondering if Harry's been training as a left winger he certainly didn't seem out of place down that side of the pitch
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
buckstown
October 11, 2021, 11:15am
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,180
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Oly1987
Wondering if Harry's been training as a left winger he certainly didn't seem out of place down that side of the pitch

I recall Jolley bringing him on as a winger when he first arrived and I felt really sorry seeing him being played out of position. However, he seems a different player now and seems to do a job anywhere, including full back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 11, 2021, 11:18am
Champagne Drinker
Really good highlights package and possibly a bit too balanced (if that's possible). I felt we were fortunate to go in at half time 0-0 and Woking were the better side in that half. If their finishing had been better it might have been a different story.

I thought Effiong was excellent in his work rate, his hold up play and making life very difficult for our defenders but his finishing leaves a bit to be desired.

Final word for Sousa. There is a passage of play where he loses the ball and puts Crookes (I think) under pressure. He follows his man into the penalty box but loses him and Woking get a good chance but Sousa keeps running and gets a foot in to stop the shot. Tremendous work rate when he could have given up on it in the middle of the park.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
diehardmariner
October 11, 2021, 11:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
Those highlights are bloody brilliant, never mind for a fifth tier outfit!
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
Abdul19
October 11, 2021, 11:24am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216
Woking look a really good side, but there's something gloriously non league about being sponsored by Boz's Fruit and Veg!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
Les Brechin
October 11, 2021, 11:36am

An absolute mystery what happened then. A goal came up on the vidiprinter (if you can still call it that these days) on Sky Sports News and it wasn't until a good 15-20 minutes later that it showed a score correction. Normally when something like that happens the score correction comes up within a minute or two, and usually there been a disallowed goal or a very near miss.

At least it all worked out well in the end.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
Ruston AT
October 11, 2021, 11:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Poojah
Certainly the land of the giants at Woking, isn’t it. Didn’t look as crisp a performance as we’ve become accustomed to recently, but we appeared to defend well from the front. You’re not going to play well every week, so when you don’t the next best thing is to be resolute and clinical - I think that’s a fair description of that performance.

As for the footage itself, that’s as good a highlights package as you’re going to get at this level (and probably a couple of levels higher).

It occurred to me a couple of weeks ago, in these times of progression on and off the pitch, that we might be able to do a little more with the highlights now we seem to have this enforced 30+ hour embargo which affords more time to edit them. I’m not sure how feasible it would be to have a camera behind the goal as you’d lose seats in the Pontoon and the old scoreboard posts would obscure the view from the Osmond - I’ve no idea if they still serve a structural purpose to the stand or whether they could come down.

But there are easier options, such as GoPros in the goal nets, or even interspersing some of the footage from the match day moments videos. They’ve already given us some brilliant alternative angles of goals scored this season.

Now the highlights are on YouTube, they’re a lot more predisposed for sharing on social media. Making those highlights as compelling as possible can only help amplify all that’s going on at the good ship Blundell Park.

One for the club to look into I think, if they’re not already.

Got it in one poojah. As you'll probably remember the TV companies built a scaffolded platform behind the goal in the inside of the pontoon, I wonder what the requirements would be in todays HSE world if we could do that again . It surely could stay up there all season with regular inspections, any scaffold companies prepared to donate some scaffold ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
Les Brechin
October 11, 2021, 11:39am

Quoted from Ruston AT

Got it in one poojah. As you'll probably remember the TV companies built a scaffolded platform behind the goal in the inside of the pontoon, I wonder what the requirements would be in todays HSE world if we could do that again . It surely could stay up there all season with regular inspections, any scaffold companies prepared to donate some scaffold ?

Is Tony Gallimore still scaffolding locally?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
RichMariner
October 11, 2021, 11:41am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
Didn't Gally lose a thumb in some kind of factory accident a while back?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
October 11, 2021, 1:29pm
Guest User
Really good highlights package and possibly a bit too balanced (if that's possible). I felt we were fortunate to go in at half time 0-0 and Woking were the better side in that half. If their finishing had been better it might have been a different story.

I thought Effiong was excellent in his work rate, his hold up play and making life very difficult for our defenders but his finishing leaves a bit to be desired.

Final word for Sousa. There is a passage of play where he loses the ball and puts Crookes (I think) under pressure. He follows his man into the penalty box but loses him and Woking get a good chance but Sousa keeps running and gets a foot in to stop the shot. Tremendous work rate when he could have given up on it in the middle of the park.

I think if Effiong hadn't hurdled Macca in the 1-on-1 situation in the first half - but carried on and fell over Macca - the ref (who looked good on the highlights)
would probably have given a penalty as Macca wasn't close to getting a hand on the ball. So credit to Effiong for that. He'll cause plenty of problems for the
sides in this league without a doubt.
Reply: 22 - 50
KingstonMariner
October 11, 2021, 1:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I thought that about Efiong not going down under that challenge. Fair play to him for that.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
Zmariner
October 11, 2021, 1:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Great highlights what a fantastic win that was and the coverage on the radio probably did not do Woking justice. They were a bit more dangerous in that second half then I seem to recall from the radio

The Woking striker Effiong looked very useful… I wonder
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
mimma
October 11, 2021, 1:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
You can get small unabtrusive
remote camers that don't need any scaffolding these days that can be bolted on to the stands.

Talking of highlights,  why don't we get replays on our scoreboard anymore? It's brilliant to get goal replays after we have scored, but for some reason it has stopped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
October 11, 2021, 2:01pm
Guest User
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I thought that about Efiong not going down under that challenge. Fair play to him for that.

You and I may applaud him, but I'd imagine his manager will have had a word or two in his ear...
Reply: 26 - 50
immariner
October 11, 2021, 2:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Couple of things to note from the highlights compared to the immediate matxh reports. The save from Fox was nothing like the worldie I was expecting. It was a good save but the ball was heading for the centre of the goal. Taylor had a big chance to make it 1-0 but don't recall this being mentioned much at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 11, 2021, 2:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Zmariner
Great highlights what a fantastic win that was and the coverage on the radio probably did not do Woking justice. They were a bit more dangerous in that second half then I seem to recall from the radio

I said the same thing at half time, by full time I wasn't so sure. His finishing was not great.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
Davec
October 11, 2021, 2:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,442
Gold Stars: 42
I seem to recall Inih Effiong playing as a trialist in a reserve match for us a few years ago, in the Bignot era I think it was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
gytone
October 11, 2021, 3:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,024
Gold Stars: 8
After watching the highlights did anyone think we could have had a penalty in the first half when Clifton, I think it was, looked like he was pushed in the back ??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 50
forza ivano
October 11, 2021, 3:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
forgot to say on the day but thought the ref was v good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 50
Croxton
October 11, 2021, 3:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Davec
I seem to recall Inih Effiong playing as a trialist in a reserve match for us a few years ago, in the Bignot era I think it was.

Correct. Away at Rotherham. He was with a carload of Redditch players up for just one trial game. Thought Effiong and one other might have been invited back. Can't remember who we signed instead. His height alone caused problems but I don't recall if he was as good on the deck as Saturday.

Edit:- Just checked. This does not tally with his Wikipage. He was contracted with Biggleswade (32 apps) then Barrow season 2016-17 when Bignot reigned at Town but only made 7 appearances for Barrow. There were some Redditch players there at the Rotherham game but those of us watching may have jumped to conclusions. Anyway, he's moved around 21 clubs in 12 years mainly in the south so perhaps not likely to find N.E.Lincs. appealing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 50
acko338
October 11, 2021, 3:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Quoted from Les Brechin

Is Tony Gallimore still scaffolding locally?  

Galli works for Carrera Engineering - did some training for him and others pre Covid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 50
KingstonMariner
October 11, 2021, 3:48pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from gytone
After watching the highlights did anyone think we could have had a penalty in the first half when Clifton, I think it was, looked like he was pushed in the back in the first half ??

There was a claim which looked valid at the time and on the highlights.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 50
KingstonMariner
October 11, 2021, 3:49pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from 137

You and I may applaud him, but I'd imagine his manager will have had a word or two in his ear...

On the other side, he was using his arms and elbows too much at other times, so it evens things up a bit 😆

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 50
acko338
October 11, 2021, 5:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Anyone got a translation for the Woking manager's post match interview?

I've contracted with work nationwide,  and many local dialects speakers, but trying to understand him was hard work.

I THINK  he said that his strikers failed to score from good chances and that lost them the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 50
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 11, 2021, 5:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

On the other side, he was using his arms and elbows too much at other times, so it evens things up a bit 😆

There was a lot of pulling and pushing from both teams and I think the ref may have let a lot go because it was six of one and half a dozen of the other. I had a great view of the penalty box from where I was and Towler nearly pulled their number 6's shirt off at one corner. On the flip side, Taylor was constantly being held by the lad marking him.

There was a lot of good football played on Saturday but it was quite a physical battle as well, inevitably I suppose based on the size of some of the Woking players.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 50
livosnose
October 11, 2021, 5:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,168
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Zmariner

so did their 17 .

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 50
TownSNAFU5
October 11, 2021, 5:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,878
Gold Stars: 42
In a results business we got the 3 points.  Job done, when key players not at their best or not allowed to play.

Love the deadpan commentator “final score Grimsby Town 1 Woking 0”.  He should be in Dracula films or play poker.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 50
moosey_club
October 11, 2021, 8:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Les Brechin

An absolute mystery what happened then. A goal came up on the vidiprinter (if you can still call it that these days) on Sky Sports News and it wasn't until a good 15-20 minutes later that it showed a score correction. Normally when something like that happens the score correction comes up within a minute or two, and usually there been a disallowed goal or a very near miss.

At least it all worked out well in the end.

Far east betting scam I reckon, hack the system, update a fictitious first scorer , cash the bet in before its corrected.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
moosey_club
October 11, 2021, 8:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from acko338
Anyone got a translation for the Woking manager's post match interview?

I've contracted with work nationwide,  and many local dialects speakers, but trying to understand him was hard work.

I THINK  he said that his strikers failed to score from good chances and that lost them the game.

I thought the same.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
Poojah
October 11, 2021, 8:56pm
Vodka Drinker
I thought he sounded a lot like the Geordie bits from Paul Whitehouse’s Julio Geordio sketch from the nineties. I honestly don’t think I could listen to that every week.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
SouthLakesMariner
October 12, 2021, 1:31am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +934
Gold Stars: 21
Always wondered what became of Alan Partridge’s Michael.

https://youtu.be/m4T_4uLQ7e0
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
Fillipe Noche
October 12, 2021, 9:04am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Just watched the highlights. That’s a game we would have definitely lost in days gone by.

One of those grind it out games, where you aren’t able to dominate. You probably say looking at the highlights, that on the balance of play, Woking actually carved open 6 clear cut chances, compared to 3 for us. But we’ve stuck in there and ground it out. A little bit of Lady Luck shone us I suppose with some of those misses from Woking. Especially the free header that didn’t hit the target. When you are in the doldrums, like we have been before, you never seem to get those bits of luck that fall your way.

Definitely a game that we would have come away with nothing in the past. So, very positive for me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
LondonMariner43
October 12, 2021, 9:08am
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,953
Gold Stars: 64

I agree about that block by Sousa - was great to see a wide player track back to amend for his mistake.  Epitomises the team spirit.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
Les Brechin
October 12, 2021, 9:10am

McKeown rather fortunate I'd say as well. If Effiong had gone down in the box in the first half it would certainly have given the ref a decision to make. Well done to him for not going over like a lot of players would have done.

Don't think we had a keeper on the bench did we so it would have meant playing a lot of the game with probably Shaun Pearson in goal.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
TheRealJohnLewis
October 12, 2021, 9:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Les Brechin
McKeown rather fortunate I'd say as well. If Effiong had gone down in the box in the first half it would certainly have given the ref a decision to make. Well done to him for not going over like a lot of players would have done.

Don't think we had a keeper on the bench did we so it would have meant playing a lot of the game with probably Shaun Pearson in goal.

Effiong had been going down lack a sack of spuds every 2 seconds up until his booking, which I thought was harsh on him this time as Waterfall ran straight into him. I'm guessing that if Effiong hadn't already have been on a yellow he would have gone for the pen.

Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
Poojah
October 12, 2021, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

It would obviously have been problematic if Effiong had gone down and won a pen, but Macca wouldn’t have been sent off due to the double jeopardy rule. Same reason the Dover keeper wasn’t sent off for bringing Bapaga down a week or so ago.

If anything, I think the rule helps justify not having a keeper on the bench as you’re only going to lose your keeper through injury, violent conduct or an incident outside the box - all of which are fairly rare.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
wuffing
October 12, 2021, 9:58am

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Wow, the Woking PA system sounds good Jason!!!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
October 12, 2021, 7:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Just watched the highlights. That’s a game we would have definitely lost in days gone by.

One of those grind it out games, where you aren’t able to dominate. You probably say looking at the highlights, that on the balance of play, Woking actually carved open 6 clear cut chances, compared to 3 for us. But we’ve stuck in there and ground it out. A little bit of Lady Luck shone us I suppose with some of those misses from Woking. Especially the free header that didn’t hit the target. When you are in the doldrums, like we have been before, you never seem to get those bits of luck that fall your way.

Definitely a game that we would have come away with nothing in the past. So, very positive for me.

Towler was all over the guy, which is why he missed it (if you're talking about the miss from 4 yards). Not a 'free' header in my book.
Reply: 50 - 50
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Woking highlights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.