Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: buckstown, October 11, 2021, 9:35am
Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFDz5wrGiEA
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 11, 2021, 9:56am; Reply: 1
Three separate camera angles AND slow motion replays? Woking you're really spoiling us here.
Posted by: Grantley, October 11, 2021, 9:59am; Reply: 2
Looks like they gave us a proper game. Strength, pace and some skill thrown in. Sears must have slept very well that night.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 11, 2021, 9:59am; Reply: 3
Another well worked goal. When was the last season we scored such a high percentage of goals like that?

Also, where was the incident of the Hunt "Ghost Goal"?
Posted by: denni266, October 11, 2021, 10:10am; Reply: 4
They looked a very good side , and there big men where not like tractors in the mud
Posted by: Heisenberg, October 11, 2021, 10:17am; Reply: 5
Really good highlights, and they looked a proper side too. Some really good players on show.

Looked like a draw would have been fair, but a great result for us. Really pleased for Clifton, AND for Graham going mad on the front row!
Posted by: Poojah, October 11, 2021, 10:30am; Reply: 6
Certainly the land of the giants at Woking, isn’t it. Didn’t look as crisp a performance as we’ve become accustomed to recently, but we appeared to defend well from the front. You’re not going to play well every week, so when you don’t the next best thing is to be resolute and clinical - I think that’s a fair description of that performance.

As for the footage itself, that’s as good a highlights package as you’re going to get at this level (and probably a couple of levels higher).

It occurred to me a couple of weeks ago, in these times of progression on and off the pitch, that we might be able to do a little more with the highlights now we seem to have this enforced 30+ hour embargo which affords more time to edit them. I’m not sure how feasible it would be to have a camera behind the goal as you’d lose seats in the Pontoon and the old scoreboard posts would obscure the view from the Osmond - I’ve no idea if they still serve a structural purpose to the stand or whether they could come down.

But there are easier options, such as GoPros in the goal nets, or even interspersing some of the footage from the match day moments videos. They’ve already given us some brilliant alternative angles of goals scored this season.

Now the highlights are on YouTube, they’re a lot more predisposed for sharing on social media. Making those highlights as compelling as possible can only help amplify all that’s going on at the good ship Blundell Park.

One for the club to look into I think, if they’re not already.
Posted by: Son of Cod, October 11, 2021, 10:36am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Les Brechin
Another well worked goal. When was the last season we scored such a high percentage of goals like that?

Also, where was the incident of the Hunt "Ghost Goal"?

Was there an incident? Unless I missed it, I don't remember him almost scoring.
Posted by: Poojah, October 11, 2021, 10:41am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Son of Cod

Was there an incident? Unless I missed it, I don't remember him almost scoring.

The likes of Sky Sports and BBC reported Alex Hunt having scored in the 51st minute, and showed the score as 0-1 for around 30 minutes. A fair bit of head scratching ensued for those not at the game.
Posted by: buckstown, October 11, 2021, 10:46am; Reply: 9
I thought Altrincham did a very good highlights pack. We seemed to have edited out the opposition highlights which makes it a bit one sided
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 11, 2021, 10:56am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Poojah

The likes of Sky Sports and BBC reported Alex Hunt having scored in the 51st minute, and showed the score as 0-1 for around 30 minutes. A fair bit of head scratching ensued for those not at the game.

I'm with Son Of Cod, there was no obvious thing that led to that (like a disallowed goal or whatever). Where I was stood somebody mentioned that the BBC were showing we had scored and everybody was a bit nonplussed by it.
Posted by: Poojah, October 11, 2021, 10:59am; Reply: 11

I'm with Son Of Cod, there was no obvious thing that led to that (like a disallowed goal or whatever). Where I was stood somebody mentioned that the BBC were showing we had scored and everybody was a bit nonplussed by it.

Yeah, it seems as if someone from the Press Association spilled their coffee on their keyboard or something.
Posted by: ska face, October 11, 2021, 11:04am; Reply: 12
Think the victory seems even better now as Hunt, McAtee, Taylor and Sousa looked to be off their usual high standards. Woking obviously looked to stop the front players getting it into feet and I lost count of the times they nipped in front of a town player who was slightly on his heels to win possession. Dead balls weren’t great and pitch maybe a bit dry as plenty of passes seemed underhit, we just didn’t have any real fluency going forward. Massive win in the circumstances.
Posted by: Oly1987, October 11, 2021, 11:09am; Reply: 13
Wondering if Harry's been training as a left winger he certainly didn't seem out of place down that side of the pitch
Posted by: buckstown, October 11, 2021, 11:15am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Oly1987
Wondering if Harry's been training as a left winger he certainly didn't seem out of place down that side of the pitch

I recall Jolley bringing him on as a winger when he first arrived and I felt really sorry seeing him being played out of position. However, he seems a different player now and seems to do a job anywhere, including full back
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 11, 2021, 11:18am; Reply: 15
Really good highlights package and possibly a bit too balanced (if that's possible). I felt we were fortunate to go in at half time 0-0 and Woking were the better side in that half. If their finishing had been better it might have been a different story.

I thought Effiong was excellent in his work rate, his hold up play and making life very difficult for our defenders but his finishing leaves a bit to be desired.

Final word for Sousa. There is a passage of play where he loses the ball and puts Crookes (I think) under pressure. He follows his man into the penalty box but loses him and Woking get a good chance but Sousa keeps running and gets a foot in to stop the shot. Tremendous work rate when he could have given up on it in the middle of the park.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 11, 2021, 11:19am; Reply: 16
Those highlights are bloody brilliant, never mind for a fifth tier outfit!
Posted by: Abdul19, October 11, 2021, 11:24am; Reply: 17
Woking look a really good side, but there's something gloriously non league about being sponsored by Boz's Fruit and Veg!
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 11, 2021, 11:36am; Reply: 18

An absolute mystery what happened then. A goal came up on the vidiprinter (if you can still call it that these days) on Sky Sports News and it wasn't until a good 15-20 minutes later that it showed a score correction. Normally when something like that happens the score correction comes up within a minute or two, and usually there been a disallowed goal or a very near miss.

At least it all worked out well in the end.
Posted by: Ruston AT, October 11, 2021, 11:38am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Poojah
Certainly the land of the giants at Woking, isn’t it. Didn’t look as crisp a performance as we’ve become accustomed to recently, but we appeared to defend well from the front. You’re not going to play well every week, so when you don’t the next best thing is to be resolute and clinical - I think that’s a fair description of that performance.

As for the footage itself, that’s as good a highlights package as you’re going to get at this level (and probably a couple of levels higher).

It occurred to me a couple of weeks ago, in these times of progression on and off the pitch, that we might be able to do a little more with the highlights now we seem to have this enforced 30+ hour embargo which affords more time to edit them. I’m not sure how feasible it would be to have a camera behind the goal as you’d lose seats in the Pontoon and the old scoreboard posts would obscure the view from the Osmond - I’ve no idea if they still serve a structural purpose to the stand or whether they could come down.

But there are easier options, such as GoPros in the goal nets, or even interspersing some of the footage from the match day moments videos. They’ve already given us some brilliant alternative angles of goals scored this season.

Now the highlights are on YouTube, they’re a lot more predisposed for sharing on social media. Making those highlights as compelling as possible can only help amplify all that’s going on at the good ship Blundell Park.

One for the club to look into I think, if they’re not already.

Got it in one poojah. As you'll probably remember the TV companies built a scaffolded platform behind the goal in the inside of the pontoon, I wonder what the requirements would be in todays HSE world if we could do that again . It surely could stay up there all season with regular inspections, any scaffold companies prepared to donate some scaffold ?

Posted by: Les Brechin, October 11, 2021, 11:39am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Ruston AT

Got it in one poojah. As you'll probably remember the TV companies built a scaffolded platform behind the goal in the inside of the pontoon, I wonder what the requirements would be in todays HSE world if we could do that again . It surely could stay up there all season with regular inspections, any scaffold companies prepared to donate some scaffold ?

Is Tony Gallimore still scaffolding locally?  :)
Posted by: RichMariner, October 11, 2021, 11:41am; Reply: 21
Didn't Gally lose a thumb in some kind of factory accident a while back?
Posted by: 137 (Guest), October 11, 2021, 1:29pm; Reply: 22
Really good highlights package and possibly a bit too balanced (if that's possible). I felt we were fortunate to go in at half time 0-0 and Woking were the better side in that half. If their finishing had been better it might have been a different story.

I thought Effiong was excellent in his work rate, his hold up play and making life very difficult for our defenders but his finishing leaves a bit to be desired.

Final word for Sousa. There is a passage of play where he loses the ball and puts Crookes (I think) under pressure. He follows his man into the penalty box but loses him and Woking get a good chance but Sousa keeps running and gets a foot in to stop the shot. Tremendous work rate when he could have given up on it in the middle of the park.

I think if Effiong hadn't hurdled Macca in the 1-on-1 situation in the first half - but carried on and fell over Macca - the ref (who looked good on the highlights)
would probably have given a penalty as Macca wasn't close to getting a hand on the ball. So credit to Effiong for that. He'll cause plenty of problems for the
sides in this league without a doubt.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 11, 2021, 1:33pm; Reply: 23
I thought that about Efiong not going down under that challenge. Fair play to him for that.
Posted by: Zmariner, October 11, 2021, 1:51pm; Reply: 24
Great highlights what a fantastic win that was and the coverage on the radio probably did not do Woking justice. They were a bit more dangerous in that second half then I seem to recall from the radio

The Woking striker Effiong looked very useful… I wonder
Posted by: mimma, October 11, 2021, 1:58pm; Reply: 25
You can get small unabtrusive
remote camers that don't need any scaffolding these days that can be bolted on to the stands.

Talking of highlights,  why don't we get replays on our scoreboard anymore? It's brilliant to get goal replays after we have scored, but for some reason it has stopped.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), October 11, 2021, 2:01pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I thought that about Efiong not going down under that challenge. Fair play to him for that.

You and I may applaud him, but I'd imagine his manager will have had a word or two in his ear...
Posted by: immariner, October 11, 2021, 2:17pm; Reply: 27
Couple of things to note from the highlights compared to the immediate matxh reports. The save from Fox was nothing like the worldie I was expecting. It was a good save but the ball was heading for the centre of the goal. Taylor had a big chance to make it 1-0 but don't recall this being mentioned much at all.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 11, 2021, 2:20pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Zmariner
Great highlights what a fantastic win that was and the coverage on the radio probably did not do Woking justice. They were a bit more dangerous in that second half then I seem to recall from the radio

I said the same thing at half time, by full time I wasn't so sure. His finishing was not great.
Posted by: Davec, October 11, 2021, 2:57pm; Reply: 29
I seem to recall Inih Effiong playing as a trialist in a reserve match for us a few years ago, in the Bignot era I think it was.
Posted by: gytone, October 11, 2021, 3:17pm; Reply: 30
After watching the highlights did anyone think we could have had a penalty in the first half when Clifton, I think it was, looked like he was pushed in the back ??
Posted by: forza ivano, October 11, 2021, 3:22pm; Reply: 31
forgot to say on the day but thought the ref was v good
Posted by: Croxton, October 11, 2021, 3:23pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Davec
I seem to recall Inih Effiong playing as a trialist in a reserve match for us a few years ago, in the Bignot era I think it was.

Correct. Away at Rotherham. He was with a carload of Redditch players up for just one trial game. Thought Effiong and one other might have been invited back. Can't remember who we signed instead. His height alone caused problems but I don't recall if he was as good on the deck as Saturday.

Edit:- Just checked. This does not tally with his Wikipage. He was contracted with Biggleswade (32 apps) then Barrow season 2016-17 when Bignot reigned at Town but only made 7 appearances for Barrow. There were some Redditch players there at the Rotherham game but those of us watching may have jumped to conclusions. Anyway, he's moved around 21 clubs in 12 years mainly in the south so perhaps not likely to find N.E.Lincs. appealing.
Posted by: acko338, October 11, 2021, 3:45pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Les Brechin

Is Tony Gallimore still scaffolding locally?  :)

Galli works for Carrera Engineering - did some training for him and others pre Covid.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 11, 2021, 3:48pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from gytone
After watching the highlights did anyone think we could have had a penalty in the first half when Clifton, I think it was, looked like he was pushed in the back in the first half ??

There was a claim which looked valid at the time and on the highlights.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 11, 2021, 3:49pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from 137

You and I may applaud him, but I'd imagine his manager will have had a word or two in his ear...

On the other side, he was using his arms and elbows too much at other times, so it evens things up a bit 😆
Posted by: acko338, October 11, 2021, 5:21pm; Reply: 36
Anyone got a translation for the Woking manager's post match interview?

I've contracted with work nationwide,  and many local dialects speakers, but trying to understand him was hard work.

I THINK  he said that his strikers failed to score from good chances and that lost them the game.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 11, 2021, 5:27pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from KingstonMariner

On the other side, he was using his arms and elbows too much at other times, so it evens things up a bit 😆

There was a lot of pulling and pushing from both teams and I think the ref may have let a lot go because it was six of one and half a dozen of the other. I had a great view of the penalty box from where I was and Towler nearly pulled their number 6's shirt off at one corner. On the flip side, Taylor was constantly being held by the lad marking him.

There was a lot of good football played on Saturday but it was quite a physical battle as well, inevitably I suppose based on the size of some of the Woking players.
Posted by: livosnose, October 11, 2021, 5:44pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Zmariner

so did their 17 .
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 11, 2021, 5:56pm; Reply: 39
In a results business we got the 3 points.  Job done, when key players not at their best or not allowed to play.

Love the deadpan commentator “final score Grimsby Town 1 Woking 0”.  He should be in Dracula films or play poker.  
Posted by: moosey_club, October 11, 2021, 8:47pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Les Brechin

An absolute mystery what happened then. A goal came up on the vidiprinter (if you can still call it that these days) on Sky Sports News and it wasn't until a good 15-20 minutes later that it showed a score correction. Normally when something like that happens the score correction comes up within a minute or two, and usually there been a disallowed goal or a very near miss.

At least it all worked out well in the end.

Far east betting scam I reckon, hack the system, update a fictitious first scorer , cash the bet in before its corrected.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 11, 2021, 8:51pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from acko338
Anyone got a translation for the Woking manager's post match interview?

I've contracted with work nationwide,  and many local dialects speakers, but trying to understand him was hard work.

I THINK  he said that his strikers failed to score from good chances and that lost them the game.

I thought the same.
Posted by: Poojah, October 11, 2021, 8:56pm; Reply: 42
I thought he sounded a lot like the Geordie bits from Paul Whitehouse’s Julio Geordio sketch from the nineties. I honestly don’t think I could listen to that every week.
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, October 12, 2021, 1:31am; Reply: 43
Always wondered what became of Alan Partridge’s Michael.

https://youtu.be/m4T_4uLQ7e0
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, October 12, 2021, 9:04am; Reply: 44
Just watched the highlights. That’s a game we would have definitely lost in days gone by.

One of those grind it out games, where you aren’t able to dominate. You probably say looking at the highlights, that on the balance of play, Woking actually carved open 6 clear cut chances, compared to 3 for us. But we’ve stuck in there and ground it out. A little bit of Lady Luck shone us I suppose with some of those misses from Woking. Especially the free header that didn’t hit the target. When you are in the doldrums, like we have been before, you never seem to get those bits of luck that fall your way.

Definitely a game that we would have come away with nothing in the past. So, very positive for me.

Posted by: LondonMariner43, October 12, 2021, 9:08am; Reply: 45

I agree about that block by Sousa - was great to see a wide player track back to amend for his mistake.  Epitomises the team spirit.

Posted by: Les Brechin, October 12, 2021, 9:10am; Reply: 46
McKeown rather fortunate I'd say as well. If Effiong had gone down in the box in the first half it would certainly have given the ref a decision to make. Well done to him for not going over like a lot of players would have done.

Don't think we had a keeper on the bench did we so it would have meant playing a lot of the game with probably Shaun Pearson in goal.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, October 12, 2021, 9:33am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Les Brechin
McKeown rather fortunate I'd say as well. If Effiong had gone down in the box in the first half it would certainly have given the ref a decision to make. Well done to him for not going over like a lot of players would have done.

Don't think we had a keeper on the bench did we so it would have meant playing a lot of the game with probably Shaun Pearson in goal.

Effiong had been going down lack a sack of spuds every 2 seconds up until his booking, which I thought was harsh on him this time as Waterfall ran straight into him. I'm guessing that if Effiong hadn't already have been on a yellow he would have gone for the pen.

Posted by: Poojah, October 12, 2021, 9:55am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Les Brechin

It would obviously have been problematic if Effiong had gone down and won a pen, but Macca wouldn’t have been sent off due to the double jeopardy rule. Same reason the Dover keeper wasn’t sent off for bringing Bapaga down a week or so ago.

If anything, I think the rule helps justify not having a keeper on the bench as you’re only going to lose your keeper through injury, violent conduct or an incident outside the box - all of which are fairly rare.
Posted by: wuffing, October 12, 2021, 9:58am; Reply: 49
Wow, the Woking PA system sounds good Jason!!!
Posted by: 137 (Guest), October 12, 2021, 7:25pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Just watched the highlights. That’s a game we would have definitely lost in days gone by.

One of those grind it out games, where you aren’t able to dominate. You probably say looking at the highlights, that on the balance of play, Woking actually carved open 6 clear cut chances, compared to 3 for us. But we’ve stuck in there and ground it out. A little bit of Lady Luck shone us I suppose with some of those misses from Woking. Especially the free header that didn’t hit the target. When you are in the doldrums, like we have been before, you never seem to get those bits of luck that fall your way.

Definitely a game that we would have come away with nothing in the past. So, very positive for me.

Towler was all over the guy, which is why he missed it (if you're talking about the miss from 4 yards). Not a 'free' header in my book.
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 10:04pm