supertown
October 6, 2021, 7:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,440
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from LN8Mariner
Unpopular opinion but I think the refs got both decisions correct. Taylor’s DOGSO on Saturday was 50 yards out on an angle that has to be taken into consideration. With a defender level with him and in a straight line to goal rather than at an angle the ref has to make a decision if Taylor will get to a goal scoring opportunity (say the penalty spot) before the defender gets the cover on. You cannot say in a 35 yard race a player with the ball will definitely beat one without, so yellow card.
By the letter of the law Bapaga jumped which is a caution so after one in the first half the ref cannot apply common sense, he has to apply the law. We would be howling if the ref doesn’t do this in our favour. There’s a close up on Twitter and it’s not a foul throw, both feet are on the ground I’m afraid and in the wide shot there are two Altrincham players about 5 yards away so it looks like he’s trying to throw it quickly to them rather than into Bapaga. If Bapaga doesn’t jump, in my opinion, he doesn’t get cautioned. Jumping makes the decision for the ref.
Bring on the red crosses but I think we need to be a little more reflective here and not go the way of other “big clubs” and think the world is against us as it invariably turns out that way if you start to have a persecution complex!

I think the key here is that if they happened the other way around we’d expect and want the decisions made, leniency on the DOGSO and a second yellow for the throw in.

UTM

I haven’t seen least nights but I agree, Taylor was too far from goal for it to be denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. Yellow all day long
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
Maringer
October 6, 2021, 8:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,493
Gold Stars: 185
Bear in mind that Taylor had a clear run, was on his strongest side and the nearest defender was 30 yards infield. He would undoubtedly have been able to get a shot off at the edge of the penalty area at least and from a decent angle on his left foot had he been allowed to run through on goal. It's not as if the ball was moving down the line, either, it was rolling directly towards goal when he was dragged down. Taylor had a straight run to goal, the ball was moving directly towards the goal and he didn't need to do anything but keep it under control as he ran to get there. For me, there was no doubt it was DOGSO.

If that wasn't DOGSO, then defenders might as well rugby tackle forwards in that position. Less risky than allowing a clean run and shot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
RonMariner
October 6, 2021, 8:30am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,669
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from supertown

I haven’t seen least nights but I agree, Taylor was too far from goal for it to be denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. Yellow all day long

So the Wrexham defender should have dragged Max Wright down as he surged past the half way line in the 90th minute as he was too far from goal for it to be a goal scoring opportunity? Just a yellow then?

Don't think so. the last man is the last man.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 47
lew chaterleys lover
October 6, 2021, 9:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,715
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from LN8Mariner
Unpopular opinion but I think the refs got both decisions correct. Taylor’s DOGSO on Saturday was 50 yards out on an angle that has to be taken into consideration. With a defender level with him and in a straight line to goal rather than at an angle the ref has to make a decision if Taylor will get to a goal scoring opportunity (say the penalty spot) before the defender gets the cover on. You cannot say in a 35 yard race a player with the ball will definitely beat one without, so yellow card.
By the letter of the law Bapaga jumped which is a caution so after one in the first half the ref cannot apply common sense, he has to apply the law. We would be howling if the ref doesn’t do this in our favour. There’s a close up on Twitter and it’s not a foul throw, both feet are on the ground I’m afraid and in the wide shot there are two Altrincham players about 5 yards away so it looks like he’s trying to throw it quickly to them rather than into Bapaga. If Bapaga doesn’t jump, in my opinion, he doesn’t get cautioned. Jumping makes the decision for the ref.
Bring on the red crosses but I think we need to be a little more reflective here and not go the way of other “big clubs” and think the world is against us as it invariably turns out that way if you start to have a persecution complex!

I think the key here is that if they happened the other way around we’d expect and want the decisions made, leniency on the DOGSO and a second yellow for the throw in.

UTM

Referering is more than just applying the letter of the law.

Bapaga being a winger was next to the touchline when the ball went out. He did not run towards the thrower to try to prevent the throw or gain an unfair advantage.  The throw was taken so quickly and thrown at him so fast what was he supposed to do?

The thrower was trying to get him in trouble.  Any professional player would instinctively jump if the ball is heading for him. There is also a still on Twitter showing one foot is off the ground as he tried to throw it as hard as he could.

In the case of Taylor at the weekend then defenders should just haul down anybody clean through and take a booking which is exactly what the FA has tried to stamp out.

Imagine if Max Wright had been hauled back by Wrexham when he was clean through to just get a yellow?
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 47
ivanosandwich
October 6, 2021, 9:27am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 17
Not seen last night's incident yet but the law that should be changed is not allowing an appeal against 2 yellows. If it was as bad as some say, then surely there should be some sort of appeal process.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 47
Theimperialcoroner
October 6, 2021, 9:42am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,194
Gold Stars: 102

Referering is more than just applying the letter of the law.

Bapaga being a winger was next to the touchline when the ball went out. He did not run towards the thrower to try to prevent the throw or gain an unfair advantage.  The throw was taken so quickly and thrown at him so fast what was he supposed to do?

The thrower was trying to get him in trouble.  Any professional player would instinctively jump if the ball is heading for him. There is also a still on Twitter showing one foot is off the ground as he tried to throw it as hard as he could.

In the case of Taylor at the weekend then defenders should just haul down anybody clean through and take a booking which is exactly what the FA has tried to stamp out.

Imagine if Max Wright had been hauled back by Wrexham when he was clean through to just get a yellow?

Best answer of the lot on this thread. The thrower actively runs towards Bapaga and then throws the ball right at him. I’d not be giving a yellow for it.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
mimma
October 6, 2021, 9:50am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Why didn't the ref consult the linesman? He had a better view of it.  It looks to me that the ref jumped to his conclusion too quickly
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
wiggers
October 6, 2021, 9:56am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
We can debate the rights and wrongs of his second yellow. The first was a joke and wasn’t even a foul. Why are non league refs so terrible?
Genuine question, cos it’s non league  are the refs FA appointed ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 47
jaygy
October 6, 2021, 10:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
I think common sense should prevail, we were 3-0 up and not exactly looking to waste time or hold play up. If it was 1-0 and we were under the cosh and trying to disrupt play wasting time then I'd totally understand a yellow card
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 47
TownSNAFU5
October 6, 2021, 10:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Milner should have had 3 yellow cards against Man City.  He still finished the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Ref

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.