lew chaterleys lover
October 6, 2021, 7:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from malkamalka

But he didn't jump until the ball was in the air. He wasn't jumping to distract their player at all.

It's time a supporters group had a look at the duty of care (towards paying customers) because this is now 3 or 4 times this season already where the officials have messed things up for us.

Somebody posted the laws on Twitter and Bapaga did nothing wrong. It was an entirely different scenario to where a player runs up to the thrower to put him off or holds up the taking of the throw. Bapaga was doing the opposite and shuffling back to get into position.

If this were to be allowed to continue, any player taking a throw-in could take one at lightning-quick speed and throw it at the nearest opposition player to get him booked. It is both ridiculous and against the laws of the game and the spirit of the game. As Paul Hurst said last night - what can you do if somebody throws the ball at you?

On your wider point, I am assuming refs get assessed all the time. There would certainly be an outcry if this particular ref takes us again.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 6, 2021, 7:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552
Quoted from RonMariner

That’s a Filipe Douce level excuse!

As Fillipe would say, ‘If you don’t know the National League only has 23 teams in it are you really a fan of Grimsby Wanderers?!’.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
ginnywings
October 6, 2021, 7:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer
Just checked the laws and, apparently, defenders are supposed to be 2 metres away from the thrower and aren't allowed to jump to distract them. If Bapaga did either then technically a booking is valid. I'm guessing that 99.9% of referees would give the player a warning before whipping out a card to send them off. At least, they ought to do so. In 40+ years of watching football, I've never seen a player receive a red card for anything similar to that and, truth be told, I can't remember anybody even being booked!

At what point are you allowed to jump? When a throw in goes in the air down the line, players will jump to head it. Bapaga jumped after the ball was thrown didn't he?

He didn't stand directly in front of he player and jump to impede his throw.

I've not yet seen the incident, so I could be mistaken.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
LondonMariner43
October 6, 2021, 8:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64

I definitely agree with you on the Bapaga incident. If Will jumped to block it, then it’s a second yellow card. Youthful exuberance and no damage done.  

The Taylor incident must have been close to a red card in as far as the defender made no attempt to play the ball. The other Dover centre-back was asleep and wasn’t covering. As you say, it was at a wide angle and 50 yards from goal so I can understand why the ref interpreted that it was not a DOGSO. Extremely cynical though. I’m not necessarily a fan of the sin-bin idea but that was definitely a prime candidate for a temporary spell on the sidelines.

I don’t think he was jumping to block the throw.  He was stepping backwards away from the thrower and mid step when his feet are off the ground, the player throws the ball at him.  He was retreating and it was a deliberate attempt to get him booked.  No say should it have it have been a booking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 6, 2021, 9:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552
Quoted from LondonMariner43

I don’t think he was jumping to block the throw.  He was stepping backwards away from the thrower and mid step when his feet are off the ground, the player throws the ball at him.  He was retreating and it was a deliberate attempt to get him booked.  No say should it have it have been a booking.

Some of these are bordering on Jasper Carrot style insurance claim form excuses…

‘I knocked over a man. He admitted it was his fault as he had been run over before’.

‘Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early’.

‘That £200k of Trust shares was just resting in my account’.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
ginnywings
October 6, 2021, 9:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
They take a different approach to poor refs in other countries. Not condoning it of course.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58820881
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
TownSNAFU5
October 6, 2021, 9:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,852
Gold Stars: 42
“I drove into the wrong driveway and collided with a tree that I don’t have”.

“I saw a rather sad-faced old gentleman bounce off my windscreen as he went over the roof”.

“I hit a man in the road with my car as he couldn’t decide which way to run”.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
acko338
October 6, 2021, 10:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
" I was running backwards when the ball hit me in the face making me see red... as the ref waved a card at me to check my sight was ok ! "

As lame an excuse as the ref's actions !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Ref

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.