Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Omar Bogle (again)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 132 Guests

Omar Bogle (again)

This thread currently has 67,582 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
September 8, 2021, 9:19am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,747
Gold Stars: 851
33-year-old Ryan Taylor’s managed 17 goals since 2015 at Leagues 1 and 2, and he’s looked to be a good addition to the squad.

Bogle’s got a fairly similar record at Champ & League 1 level and is in his prime.

Just for balance…
Private Message
Reply: 250 - 346
IlkleyMariner
September 8, 2021, 9:28am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,036
Gold Stars: 69
Been impressed with what I’ve seen of Ryan Taylor. Skilful and keen to get on the end of stuff. Hoping he stays fit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 251 - 346
pontoonlew
September 8, 2021, 9:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,079
Gold Stars: 178
A half arsed Bogle would rip this league to bits, he still won’t come but those saying they wouldn’t have him need their heads testing.

Fans moan at people on here saying ‘No proven goalscorer would come here’ and in the same breath say ‘no, not that one’ when a guy with a 1 in 2 record at this level and League 2 is mentioned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 252 - 346
Madeleymariner
September 8, 2021, 9:57am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Would be worth the risk getting him on loan if he doesn't do it we can send him back at Christmas.
I do get a feeling in my fingers, and my toes, he will be playing at BP soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 253 - 346
ska face
September 8, 2021, 9:59am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,747
Gold Stars: 851
There are genuinely people out there who think we should’ve kept Jackson, and wouldn’t take Bogle.

Animals.
Private Message
Reply: 254 - 346
Northbank Mariner
September 8, 2021, 10:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,528
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from pontoonlew
A half arsed Bogle would rip this league to bits, he still won’t come but those saying they wouldn’t have him need their heads testing.

Fans moan at people on here saying ‘No proven goalscorer would come here’ and in the same breath say ‘no, not that one’ when a guy with a 1 in 2 record at this level and League 2 is mentioned.

But would he rip this league up?...you're talking about a player who was motivated and starting to build a career in professional football in 2016.
He's now a player who's struggled to hold down a starting place at several clubs since leaving here and listening to fans of said clubs he's lost that drive.
He'd need an arm round his shoulder, need his confidence building back up and more importantly want to succeed, and in all honesty, I don't think he does not "want it" anymore.
If he has that drive he'd have left in the summer and gone anywhere just to find his shooting boots but instead is quite happily prepared to sit it out at Donny collecting his pay packet.
My god, if we had a player doing that he'd be hung, drawn and quartered by the fan base, yet here we are yelling from the roof tops to get Hurst to sign such a player....not for me now...his times been and gone for GTFC, time to move and live in the good memories he gave us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 255 - 346
pizzzza
September 8, 2021, 10:06am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from ska face
There are genuinely people out there who think we should’ve kept Jackson, and wouldn’t take Bogle.

Animals.

The mind Bogles.
Private Message
Reply: 256 - 346
Hagrid
September 8, 2021, 10:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,475
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Been impressed with what I’ve seen of Ryan Taylor. Skilful and keen to get on the end of stuff. Hoping he stays fit.

agreed, he and Lenny started the season well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 257 - 346
Poojah
September 8, 2021, 10:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,637
Gold Stars: 1,505
Quoted from pontoonlew

I think there are some reasonable arguments that have been made against Bogle, but I'm not sure they stack up under scrutiny. Certainly, if given the choice between a 28 year old Bogle (he's not 29 by the way) and the up and coming Bogle / Hearn of the next generation, then I'd probably be inclined to choose the latter, potentially hungrier option. If we were ever to have Bogle back on a permanent basis at some point in the future, then the chance of any future resale value would be slim at best.

But that assumes there's some kind of binary option at play. In my opinion, if 'the next Bogle' was out there, had been identified and was available within our means then we've had already done it by now. Hurst has a good track record of brining players up from the regional leagues, the trouble being at this moment in time they've hardly played in the last couple of years due to Covid. Both Bogle and Hearn arrived having been consistently prolific in the Conference North over the course of the previous year or two - there just isn't the data from that level to go and easily find a player of a similar ilk.

I'd distance this from the usual Podge-fest that comes up every transfer window (and to a lesser degree, the usual Bogle-fest). This is different. Here are the facts:
  • Our squad is calling out for a number 9; someone physical and direct who can score goals at this level
  • In terms of playing style and record at this level, the level below and the level above, Bogle 100% ticks that box
  • Hurst has said publicly, that having seemingly exhausted our options during the window, that we would be looking at players made available for loan after it has ended.
  • He also said that this is precisely the scenario under which he brought Conor Townsend back to the club in 2015
  • Bogle is available and is currently playing for a club 50 miles down the M180
  • Realistically, he can only sign for a club in this division due to the closing of the transfer window, and most of our rivals already appear to have done their business up top

The whole thing just makes a lot of sense on a number of levels. I actually think the whole thing would be given a lot more credence if perhaps Bogle had achieved what he did for us at another club - those endless "let's get player X back at BP" posts can get a bit boring over time, but this one does seem genuinely different in terms of the way the stars at least appear to have aligned.

That said, there could of course be reasons why this might be a complete non-starter. Perhaps Omar's given up on football. Perhaps he can't handle a return to non-league, or can't face the idea of a full-circle return to Blundell Park as it would just rubber stamp the fact that he's failed in his time since leaving. All of those things would be understandable, but I can understand why it's a topic of conversation.

Irrespective of current form (albeit at a much higher level than this) I'd welcome the lad back with open arms. If, and I'm making assumptions here, he's lost his mojo and needs a spark to reignite the fire, where better to do it at this moment in time than Blundell Park, and who better to do it with than the man under whom he played the best football of his life in Paul Hurst?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 258 - 346
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 8, 2021, 10:23am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from pizzzza

The mind Bogles.

Here's your coat......I've called a taxi.....

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 259 - 346
35 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Omar Bogle (again)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.