Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Alfreton....Match Thread
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 220 Guests

Alfreton....Match Thread

This thread currently has 22,205 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 4, 2021, 11:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ska face
Hoping I don’t top myself before the start of the season. Can’t guarantee it with a few more threads like this.

There’s still hope then? I

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 171
pontoonlew
August 4, 2021, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,998
Gold Stars: 174
When you look at the current injury list I’m not sure we can be that stunned can we? Taylor, LJL, Fox, Scannell and Coke all came in with known track records of injuries.

It’s bad luck that they’re injured already but we can hardly be surprised.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 171
August 4, 2021, 12:29pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mariner93er
First game I’ve watched and it didn’t fill me with confidence to be honest. We were always going to struggle going forward with the two youth players, but it’s at the back that concerned me, we don’t look solid at all. Compare that defence to the one that got us out of the league and I think this one looks weaker...time will tell though I suppose. And let’s hope fox isn’t injured!

We kept a clean sheet!

Reply: 72 - 171
Zmariner
August 4, 2021, 1:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Injuries, lack of strikers…. No excuses for me this seasonand the only thing that matters are the results in the league games. We were a disaster last season and the second half was no better than the first half and so no room for whining  and excuses Time to deliver utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 171
chaos33
August 4, 2021, 1:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
I think that’s pretty much fair enough. A few clubs have spent big and we need to keen in touch if we don’t start that well. Couple of good strikers and one or two more elsewhere and we should be good.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 171
arryarryarry
August 4, 2021, 1:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Zmariner
Injuries, lack of strikers…. No excuses for me this season and the only thing that matters are the results in the league games. We were a disaster last season and the second half was no better than the first half and so no room for whining  and excuses Time to deliver utm

Fully agree, PH has to do it this season or he has to go.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 171
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 4, 2021, 1:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It seems pretty grim but the point of these games is to find out who can do what and who can’t and who is willing to chase lost causes. So we haven’t seen anything like the Bromley starters yet.

But I must agree though that unless we sign at least two decent front players who are not prone to long term injury or are young loanees needing too much coaching, we will not be taking any league by storm. In fact with the players we have, mid-table in the autumn looks increasingly likely with a slow drag to the playoffs next year. Hope not. I really was hoping we would see a team primed and ready for goalscoring action at Bromley but the longer it goes the more unlikely that seems.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 171
KingstonMariner
August 4, 2021, 2:11pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I’d agree with that RRFC. Time to dial back the expectation level pending the arrival of New Podge (whoever that might be).

Still there’s nowt we can do but go along and support.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 171
jamesgtfc
August 4, 2021, 2:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from arryarryarry

Fully agree, PH has to do it this season or he has to go.

I think we need to have a dose of realism.

Notts County and Chesterfield have been down here a while now and have made a steady 7 additions each this summer. Wrexham have made 6 and Stockport have made 8 (source: [url]https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/national-league/startseite/wettbewerb/CNAT[/url])

We have made 13 and know that we require at least another 2.

Notts and Chesterfield are building on their recent seasons where they have been there or thereabouts. If you thought the gap between the National League and League 2 wasn't big 5 years ago, it's an even better standard down here now thanks to a few of the more traditional teams falling through that League 2 trap door and Stockport finally rising from the ashes.

When you look at teams that get promoted, it has typically been 2 or 3 years in the making with a few solid additions. In an average squad of 24, the likes of Notts, Chesterfield etc are retaining 75% of a team that knows one another. We, on the other hand, are retaining about a third of our first team squad.

Yes I would love promotion but realistically, there are a few other teams that are probably better placed than us to achieve one of only 2 promotion places this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 171
promotion plaice
August 4, 2021, 2:42pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think we need to have a dose of realism.

Notts County and Chesterfield have been down here a while now and have made a steady 7 additions each this summer. Wrexham have made 6 and Stockport have made 8 (source: [url]https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/national-league/startseite/wettbewerb/CNAT[/url])

Sounds a bit more real when you put it like that  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 171
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Alfreton....Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.