Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Alfreton....Match Thread
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 349 Guests

Alfreton....Match Thread

This thread currently has 22,101 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
August 4, 2021, 2:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
I still question the strength of our defence. Pearson wasn’t first choice when he was younger and we finished fourth, Longe-King is a bit inexperienced and Waterfall has generally been pretty rubbish for us.

The four central midfielders include three who were in our terrible squad last season. Clifton has great energy but there’s still questions over his ball playing ability. Spokes is young and a bit of a rookie. And Coke is very old, hasn’t played much at all in the last five seasons. There is a reason he was in the division below this one when we signed him. Fox I think looks excellent but we’ve gambled on his fitness in order to bring in someone of his ability and he has a bad history with injuries.

McAtee looks really good as a number 10 and Sousa sounds promising. But Scannell and Wright both have poor records of actually getting out on the pitch and Grant is aging a lot. Wouldn’t surprise me at all so see Grant start well and fade as the rigours of the season catch up like it did with Monkhouse. Lennie and Taylor aren’t out and out scorers and I agree with whoever said it the other day but I fear Lennie will be a big disappointment when you compare to the quality some of our competition now boast.

We need injections of quality right the way through the squad in my honest opinion. And the strength in depth is very poor particularly when you consider how many of our players have bad injury records. Two forward players (goalscorer and a wide player like Vernam) with very good quality are an absolute must to have any chance of automatic promotion. I would also like to see a centre back and a central midfielder of the quality of McAtee and Fox brought in if we are actually serious.

Play offs minimum expectation.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 171
diehardmariner
August 4, 2021, 2:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,097
Gold Stars: 520
If the season started this weekend I would probably be a bit concerned.

But we've over two weeks until it starts and time to get in, by my reckoning, those other two pieces of the jigsaw.  Looking at both the squad and squad numbers, we're a striker and a winger/attacking midfielder short (No's 7 & 9).

I get the distinct impression that we're almost in a chain here.  I think we've got money to spend and we're going to spend it on a couple of marquee type signings, purely for examples I'm going to say Vernam and Tshimanga.   Neither Bradford or Borehamwood are going to let those players go without replacements, be it as first-teamers or back-up, firmly in place.  This could be repeated further down the chain with other clubs waiting too.

Or it could be that negotiations are taking longer, clubs holding out for more money, players wanting better contracts, Hurst & Doig hedging their bets on other players becoming available....

Something else to consider is that the loan market is open and at present we've only utilised it for one player.  We can have another four in any matchday squad.  That I'm aware the loan market doesn't shut until nearly the end of the season in the Conference either.

Am I a bit concerned with our lack of striking options?  Slightly.  But I don't think we're quite at the desperate stage of re-signing an unfit and out of sorts Alan Connell the day before the season starts, not yet anyway.

It's the easiest thing in football to say, but from what I've seen we really do look a good and fit striker away from a very, very strong outfit.  
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 171
diehardmariner
August 4, 2021, 2:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,097
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from mariner91
. And Coke is very old

flipping hell, he's 35 not 103.
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 171
KingstonMariner
August 4, 2021, 2:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from mariner91
I still question the strength of our defence. Pearson wasn’t first choice when he was younger and we finished fourth, Longe-King is a bit inexperienced and Waterfall has generally been pretty rubbish for us.

The four central midfielders include three who were in our terrible squad last season. Clifton has great energy but there’s still questions over his ball playing ability. Spokes is young and a bit of a rookie. And Coke is very old, hasn’t played much at all in the last five seasons. There is a reason he was in the division below this one when we signed him. Fox I think looks excellent but we’ve gambled on his fitness in order to bring in someone of his ability and he has a bad history with injuries.

McAtee looks really good as a number 10 and Sousa sounds promising. But Scannell and Wright both have poor records of actually getting out on the pitch and Grant is aging a lot. Wouldn’t surprise me at all so see Grant start well and fade as the rigours of the season catch up like it did with Monkhouse. Lennie and Taylor aren’t out and out scorers and I agree with whoever said it the other day but I fear Lennie will be a big disappointment when you compare to the quality some of our competition now boast.

We need injections of quality right the way through the squad in my honest opinion. And the strength in depth is very poor particularly when you consider how many of our players have bad injury records. Two forward players (goalscorer and a wide player like Vernam) with very good quality are an absolute must to have any chance of automatic promotion. I would also like to see a centre back and a central midfielder of the quality of McAtee and Fox brought in if we are actually serious.

Play offs minimum expectation.

If the squad is as bad as you say, why are you expecting at least the playoffs?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 171
mariner91
August 4, 2021, 3:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

flipping hell, he's 35 not 103.

Yes but he’s a 35 year old central midfielder who has managed less than 50 league games since 2011/12. You reckon he will be able to sustain fitness and form across a 46 game season plus all the cups? And when our other options are Fox with his injury record, Clifton and Spokes (who I like but is still fairly unproven in the professional game) then I think it’s a concern.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 171
mariner91
August 4, 2021, 3:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

If the squad is as bad as you say, why are you expecting at least the playoffs?

I’m not expecting play offs right now. I think the squad in its current form would struggle to finish above 10th.

We’ve been told there’s money to spend and we’ve sold a decent amount of season tickets to bolster the budget. We’ve also sold Grist and Pollock and may well get some more money from Dembele too. With that in mind and the fact you only have to finish 7th to make the play offs then the minimum expectation should be exactly that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 171
jamesgtfc
August 4, 2021, 3:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from mariner91

Yes but he’s a 35 year old central midfielder who has managed less than 50 league games since 2011/12. You reckon he will be able to sustain fitness and form across a 46 game season plus all the cups? And when our other options are Fox with his injury record, Clifton and Spokes (who I like but is still fairly unproven in the professional game) then I think it’s a concern.

It's always put out there that Giles Coke is some sort of crock but he played 9 of Herefords' 13 league games last season and went on to play for us 17 times after signing mid-February. 26 games last season alone.

In 2012/13 he played 16 Championship games and followed this up with a respectable 28 in 2013/14. In 2014/15, he played 17 Championship games and then joined Ipswich where he played 10 Championship games in 2015/16. That is 71 Championship games in a period where he's alleged to have hardly kicked a ball.

At Ipswich he did suffer a bad knee injury that required surgery. He was released at the end of 2016/17 and didn't sign for Chesterfield until February 2018 so that knee injury could have been a tough one to overcome. He was released by Chesterfield following their relegation and signed for Oldham. Giles has since gone on record to state that he was fit for selection throughout his time at Oldham and attributed his lack of appearances at Oldham as problems with the club's owner, although not elaborating on the details he says his absence was not down to injury.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 171
arryarryarry
August 4, 2021, 3:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It's always put out there that Giles Coke is some sort of crock but he played 9 of Herefords' 13 league games last season and went on to play for us 17 times after signing mid-February. 26 games last season alone.

In 2012/13 he played 16 Championship games and followed this up with a respectable 28 in 2013/14. In 2014/15, he played 17 Championship games and then joined Ipswich where he played 10 Championship games in 2015/16. That is 71 Championship games in a period where he's alleged to have hardly kicked a ball.

At Ipswich he did suffer a bad knee injury that required surgery. He was released at the end of 2016/17 and didn't sign for Chesterfield until February 2018 so that knee injury could have been a tough one to overcome. He was released by Chesterfield following their relegation and signed for Oldham. Giles has since gone on record to state that he was fit for selection throughout his time at Oldham and attributed his lack of appearances at Oldham as problems with the club's owner, although not elaborating on the details he says his absence was not down to injury.

Somebody needs to update his Wiki account because non of that is mentioned.
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 171
arryarryarry
August 4, 2021, 3:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from jamesgtfc

PS. 26 games in a season is just over half, plus how many of those 17 games did he actually complete the 90 minutes?
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 171
Maringer
August 4, 2021, 4:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
I always tend to check Soccerbase for players appearance info. Due to the way in which their data is collected and displayed, they shouldn't miss anything out. Wikipedia is up to somebody to bother to enter the correct information.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 171
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Alfreton....Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.