chipsandgravy
August 6, 2021, 6:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,608
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from ginnywings
Surely it's not lack of money that's impeding the recruitment of some quality players for the obvious gaps in the squad. We have parachute payments, healthy season ticket sales and a good wedge from the sale of two of our young players, with the real possibility of more to come from the Dembele add on.

I have to say that I am so far a little underwhelmed with our recruitment from an attacking point of view. We look to be solid, as you would expect from a Hurst side, but we need those players that can turn possible defeats into draws and draws into wins.

I accept that Hurst is rebuilding from a very low base, but I'm bored with hearing every bloody season how we need to build a side for the future. We have been doing this for what seems like forever.

No excuses for Hurst as far as I'm concerned. It's play offs as a minimum considering we should be one of the biggest and best supported teams in non league. If we aren't in the top 7 teams in that league, then the manager is not doing a good enough job IMO.

Lincoln were at a lower point than us when the Cowleys took over, with crowds down to under three thousand, but with new backing and pushing the boat out with their recruitment, they took off in a big way. No reason we can't do the same.

Crawley and Fleetwood in our last stint down there showed what can be done if you push the boat out for quality players and they both smashed the league.

If you pay them, they will come.

Couldn't agree more. Whilst a lift off the field is very welcome as is the demise of "him who shall not be named". I expected much more of a lift on the field and I don't think it was wrong to expect that given everything that has happened. Its bad enough sat here seeing the EFL start tomorrow but I feel flat as a pancake with the team so far regardless of injuries. I expected a bit more  of a "let's go for it" attitude on recruitment. Maybe that will come but my trip to Alfreton didn't really help my optimism.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 171
Davec
August 6, 2021, 6:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,442
Gold Stars: 42
I do agree the recruitment on paper has been slightly underwhelming but then I don't remember a Hurst's summer recruitment which has ever been exciting on paper and we always made play offs under him, he has a knack of making these signings that don't set our pulses racing but they then turn out to be good signings
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 171
Mighty_Mariner
August 6, 2021, 11:32pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quite a few have theorised/suggested that this squad is inferior to the ones of 14/15 and 15/16. And whilst that may be true, what we aren’t factoring in the progression of Hurst as a manager. He is vastly more experienced this time around and this will count for a lot in my opinion. Add in two or three good quality signings and I’m confident the experience of Hurst and Doig will pay dividends.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 171
arryarryarry
August 7, 2021, 1:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Quite a few have theorised/suggested that this squad is inferior to the ones of 14/15 and 15/16. And whilst that may be true, what we aren’t factoring in the progression of Hurst as a manager. He is vastly more experienced this time around and this will count for a lot in my opinion. Add in two or three good quality signings and I’m confident the experience of Hurst and Doig will pay dividends.

He hasn't progressed that much in the last few seasons. After Shrewsbury, he was a disaster at Ipswich and roundly hated by many of their fans till he was sacked, then moved downwards to Scunthorpe and again sacked then took over a club not in a relegation spot and took them down.

He is clearly here for at least the majority of the coming season but I will be loudly calling for his sacking if we don't even manage the play-offs come the season end.
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 171
1mickylyons
August 7, 2021, 1:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Hurst at GY always had at least one decent striker at his disposal and usually two I expect him to get one in before the season starts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 171
August 7, 2021, 8:39am
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

He hasn't progressed that much in the last few seasons. After Shrewsbury, he was a disaster at Ipswich and roundly hated by many of their fans till he was sacked, then moved downwards to Scunthorpe and again sacked then took over a club not in a relegation spot and took them down.

He is clearly here for at least the majority of the coming season but I will be loudly calling for his sacking if we don't even manage the play-offs come the season end.

You continue to post rubbish on here, I have to consider that you are a troll!

Reply: 165 - 171
arryarryarry
August 7, 2021, 3:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from 123614

You continue to post rubbish on here, I have to consider that you are a troll!

Consider what you frigging like sunshine.

What of what I posted was rubbish?
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 171
August 7, 2021, 4:57pm
Guest User
Just about every post you make is rubbish.  Grow up!
Reply: 167 - 171
August 7, 2021, 5:02pm
Guest User
Quote from Peter Swann:  Swann said that Hurst was not sacked for football reasons but that there was a breakdown in the relationship between the two but he was unable to elaborate on the reasons why.

“The situation is the relationship has broken down,” Hurst told Radio Humberside.

“There are a few things I’m unhappy about but I can’t talk too much about it and I’m sure Paul can’t talk about it, because we are still under contract.

“It is not a footballing thing, it is not about how we played or how he coaches.
Reply: 168 - 171
jamesgtfc
August 7, 2021, 5:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from 123614
Quote from Peter Swann:  Swann said that Hurst was not sacked for football reasons but that there was a breakdown in the relationship between the two but he was unable to elaborate on the reasons why.

“The situation is the relationship has broken down,” Hurst told Radio Humberside.

“There are a few things I’m unhappy about but I can’t talk too much about it and I’m sure Paul can’t talk about it, because we are still under contract.

“It is not a footballing thing, it is not about how we played or how he coaches.

I seem to recall there were a few entertaining Saturday evenings on Humberside where Swann and Hurst would both be interviewed and say conflicting things. I think Swann constantly appearing on Humberside saying his piece about the playing side must drive players and managers mad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 171
18 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Alfreton....Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.