Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Alfreton....Match Thread
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 307 Guests

Alfreton....Match Thread

This thread currently has 22,203 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
August 5, 2021, 8:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,998
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Poojah

The objective, I'm sure, will be more than just consolidation. I was simply offering a realistic viewpoint that consolidation might be what we ultimately end up with given the mess the club was in, and that predictions of league titles in this first season are wildly premature.

I think we've already seen a number of tangible improvements from the new owners, it's just that it's going to take a little while longer to filter through to the playing side. I'm sure Hurst will be backed in terms of his playing budget but what these guys aren't going to be doing, and have never promised to do, is throw millions or even hundreds of thousands of unsustainable cash at the first team.

I'm not convinced that would be in the long-term interests of the club anyway. If they have a finite amount of money to invest then I do believe that's better spent on long-term infrastructure that will serve the club for years and decades to come, not lumping big on one season (a tactic we've seen fail many a time). Furthermore, if we were ever to do that I'm not sure this season is the right time to go all in given the relative point of weakness we're starting from.

There are parallels with the Operation Promotion pre-season in terms of the new found optimism amongst the fanbase, but in terms of squad maturity we're not even close. I think people are possibly conflating the optimism then and now with our chances of going up next season, whilst overlooking the fact that the squad simply isn't anywhere near as good - and that's the fault of no one but the chancers long since gone.

Worth noting that despite what a certain former chairman said, the small touches that the new owners have put in off the pitch can make all the difference on it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 171
lew chaterleys lover
August 5, 2021, 8:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Poojah

The objective, I'm sure, will be more than just consolidation. I was simply offering a realistic viewpoint that consolidation might be what we ultimately end up with given the mess the club was in, and that predictions of league titles in this first season are wildly premature.

I think we've already seen a number of tangible improvements from the new owners, it's just that it's going to take a little while longer to filter through to the playing side. I'm sure Hurst will be backed in terms of his playing budget but what these guys aren't going to be doing, and have never promised to do, is throw millions or even hundreds of thousands of unsustainable cash at the first team.

I'm not convinced that would be in the long-term interests of the club anyway. If they have a finite amount of money to invest then I do believe that's better spent on long-term infrastructure that will serve the club for years and decades to come, not lumping big on one season (a tactic we've seen fail many a time). Furthermore, if we were ever to do that I'm not sure this season is the right time to go all in given the relative point of weakness we're starting from.

There are parallels with the Operation Promotion pre-season in terms of the new found optimism amongst the fanbase, but in terms of squad maturity we're not even close. I think people are possibly conflating the optimism then and now with our chances of going up next season, whilst overlooking the fact that the squad simply isn't anywhere near as good - and that's the fault of no one but the chancers long since gone.

But Hurst is in a dream position. He knows the club inside out after all those years, he has been here again since December and knew for a long time that he would be planning for the NL this season.

That would have been a reasonable platform under Fenty, but he now has all the benefits of new owners who have given him full support. He has what 95% of non-league managers don't have - a great fan base putting the money in, millionaire owners who are putting the club on the right footing, and one of a handful of non-league clubs to seemingly have no money worries whatsoever and has had plenty of time to plan for the new campaign.

In my eyes he simply has to deliver; I am not saying he won't, but it obviously depends on the final few players we sign/loan. It is imperative we get the quality we need.

The new owners must be prepared to back him with cash, otherwise it all seems a bit pointless. You don't have to throw the kitchen sink at it, but with 3000 season tickets, sales from players and presumably increased sales of other things like merchandise and drink releasing the money to get top players in seems common sense. They are going to have put money in on the playing side over many years if they intend to make a success of it, that is the reality of being club owners. It is not fair for fans to keep putting the money in without real intent shown by the owners.

We can certainly improve year on year, but we should be aiming for the top this season without a doubt.
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 171
mariner91
August 5, 2021, 9:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from 123614

So are you and a few others Professional Football Managers, and know better than PH?

2 + 2 = 5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 171
jamesgtfc
August 5, 2021, 9:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190

Of course there are several contenders for the top spot.

I want and expect us to be one of them, by signing top players. Isn't that the objective?

Those players to complete the jigsaw will cost money, and I fully expect the new owners to provide it otherwise all their grand dreams will not count for anything till we win the league, or at the very least go up via the playoffs.

I absolutely get the building for the future argument OFF the field, but on it is a different matter. We have a very experienced manager, new players with the key ones to come and a far superior regime running the club. I think even the new players have said promotion is the aim this season, and the only way to guarantee that is by finishing top..

I think we all want to get promoted but given the overhaul of our squad, the odds are stacked massively against us. The beauty of this league is that you can do some business outside the transfer window so we can continue to improve throughout the season and move those on that aren't working out to give us the best chance next season if it isn't going to happen this season.

If we finish 10th but look like we are 5 signings away from being up there next season should Hurst be sacked? I don't think so because a new manager would be more likely to shake things up and give us another season of mid-table mediocrity.

It took 6 seasons last time and after 3 consecutive play-off failures, we did it at the 4th attempt.

The play-offs are a lottery, even more so now that all games are one leg. Personally, I think it will take 3 seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 171
psgmariner
August 5, 2021, 9:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from jamesgtfc

If we finish 10th but look like we are 5 signings away from being up there next season should Hurst be sacked?

100% yes.

As others have alluded to he’s had just about every advantage available to a non league manager

Time in the job to asses what we have
2 transfer windows
Knows the club already
Big fanbase
Good budget
Progressive and supportive owners
Improved facilities
Experience of non league

If we finish 10th this is a unacceptable. I said the same when he got us relegated though so what do I know!

Private Message
Reply: 134 - 171
lew chaterleys lover
August 5, 2021, 9:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think we all want to get promoted but given the overhaul of our squad, the odds are stacked massively against us. The beauty of this league is that you can do some business outside the transfer window so we can continue to improve throughout the season and move those on that aren't working out to give us the best chance next season if it isn't going to happen this season.

If we finish 10th but look like we are 5 signings away from being up there next season should Hurst be sacked? I don't think so because a new manager would be more likely to shake things up and give us another season of mid-table mediocrity.

It took 6 seasons last time and after 3 consecutive play-off failures, we did it at the 4th attempt.

The play-offs are a lottery, even more so now that all games are one leg. Personally, I think it will take 3 seasons.

Well argued but I don't agree with it. For a start, what is not to like about getting more or less a new side? Most managers do it anyway when they are appointed, and a lot of them make a success of it. There is absolutely no certainty that incremental improvements to the playing side yield better results. When he was last here Hurst kept changing the squad each season and a strong case can be argued that the team he built that didn't go up was actually better than the one that did!  It is too much of a lottery to look further than one season at a time, as there are so many variables including the players you would like to keep wanting to move on if we don't achieve promotion. Managers can also be poached come to that to leave you back at square one.

The best plan as I see it is to aim for the top spot from the off, and keep aiming for it till you get there.
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 171
toontown
August 5, 2021, 9:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from 123614

So are you and a few others Professional Football Managers, and know better than PH?

Plenty of mistakes are made by professional football managers - one of them thought a single pre season friendly against cleethorpes Town and packing the squad out with players from way down the pyramid who he'd never seen before was a great idea!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 171
Rodley Mariner
August 5, 2021, 9:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
The squad he inherited was dire but I would expect play offs and be very disappointed if that wasn't achieved.I think people do need to remember that they wanted decent, honourable owners running the club in a sustainable way so if we struggle to compete with a Hollywood owned, Netflix based team throwing £££££ at it then........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 171
arryarryarry
August 5, 2021, 9:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Seems to me a number on here are already coming up with excuses if we don't get promotion this coming season.
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 171
arryarryarry
August 5, 2021, 9:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from 123614

Didn't you keep bleating on last season that we would stay up when many who do have an idea about football could see we were doomed for months.
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 171
18 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Alfreton....Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.